slackerninja

The PS4 & Xbox One Thread - Part 2

Microsoft despite all the game cancellations and middling reviews for exclusives have really turned it around under Spencer. With backwards compatibility to the One X to gamepass. Even the Adaptive controller was an awesome initiative.

They couldn't compete with Sony head on, but all of these initiatives have helped bring them back from irrelevance and have ensured there'll be at least one more competitive generation of consoles. They've also forced Sony to adopt gamer friendly practices like cross-play. Also, Sony now has to include backwards compatibility in their next gen console. MS would offer it for sure and Sony skipping it would really be the biggest self goal since MS's Xbox One launch.

All in all, it's awesome and exciting that MS is shaking things up like this. Sony should continue their focus on awesome single player games, but it'll be interesting to see how they respond to the expansion of game-pass and other services that MS has in store.

@Gautam You do realise Sony offered all these things last gen. Sony asked for crossplay during PS3 time. MS refused because they were dominating. Sony offered PS2 BC with PS3, but not many people used it. So MS did not force Sony to do anything. They are just doing what all 2nd place console makers do.

PS3 BC was and still is impossible because of Cell. Even PS5 will not have PS3 BC. But PS4 BC is expected because both will have same x86 architecture, and you can't remaster PS4 games since they already look good and most of them scale to 4k already on Pro.

But the adaptability controller is the best thing MS has done this gen. That's an absolutely awesome initiative and one which O hope Sony follows.

So Sony wasn't able to force MS to offer BC in the last generation. But MS was able to put enough pressure with the help of game devs to force Sony's hand this gen. I understand they're in second place. But they've played their cards right in this regard to make things happen.

Regarding BC, I'm not sure I buy this reasoning around the Cell. The 360 wasn't based on the x86 either and at launch they had the same argument. But they added it retroactively by building the tech. It's still not out of the box BC. Even if you have a disc, the console downloads a BC compatible version from the Xbox store. And they have to test and potentially add customizations for each game to be BC and they keep adding newer games to the library.

Regarding next gen, don't put it above these companies to make customer hostile decisions to make more money. Especially when they're in a position of leadership. I think BC is a given now, but I would credit MS for it rather than the notion that these consoles are based on x86 architecture.

Rumor: Two next-gen Xbox models to be announced at E3 2019

According to the website, the consoles are code-named “Lockhart” and “Anaconda.” Lockhart is a entry level device without a disc drive and focused on digital, while Anaconda is a high-end device priced similarly to Xbox One X at launch.

QNmZlGc.png

8 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Rumor: Two next-gen Xbox models to be announced at E3 2019

According to the website, the consoles are code-named “Lockhart” and “Anaconda.” Lockhart is a entry level device without a disc drive and focused on digital, while Anaconda is a high-end device priced similarly to Xbox One X at launch.

QNmZlGc.png

This would go over well. 

48 minutes ago, Gautam said:

So Sony wasn't able to force MS to offer BC in the last generation. But MS was able to put enough pressure with the help of game devs to force Sony's hand this gen. I understand they're in second place. But they've played their cards right in this regard to make things happen.

Regarding BC, I'm not sure I buy this reasoning around the Cell. The 360 wasn't based on the x86 either and at launch they had the same argument. But they added it retroactively by building the tech. It's still not out of the box BC. Even if you have a disc, the console downloads a BC compatible version from the Xbox store. And they have to test and potentially add customizations for each game to be BC and they keep adding newer games to the library.

Regarding next gen, don't put it above these companies to make customer hostile decisions to make more money. Especially when they're in a position of leadership. I think BC is a given now, but I would credit MS for it rather than the notion that these consoles are based on x86 architecture.

BC is sh*t.

Would rather have remakes like SOTC and RE2. To realize those worlds with full power of today`s technology is something else.  

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

Would laugh my a*s off if Gamepass streaming comes to Switch before it comes to Windows 10.

Dude. I am legit annoyed about that. But it is the most Microsoft thing I can imagine so its probably happening lol. 

9 minutes ago, hope said:

BC is sh*t.

Would rather have remakes like SOTC and RE2. To realize those worlds with full power of today`s technology is something else.  

BC isn't sh*t. I'd love to be able to play ps4 games on ps5. This is some a*s backwards thinking. 

Some more leaks/rumours

In June, Microsoft will be heading to Los Angeles where the company will be hosting its annual E3 keynote. And even though Sony won’t be there, Microsoft is not holding back on making significant announcements.

Microsoft will not be shipping its next-gen consoles until the fall of 2020 but the company is preparing to talk more about the hardware this year at E3, 2019, according to people familiar with the company’s plans. Don’t expect to hear pricing just yet, but the company wants it to be known that they are moving full steam ahead with the upcoming Lockhart and Anaconda devices and will begin to peel back the onion on these two devices.

Last year, the company teased Halo Infinite and that title will be a launch game for the upcoming hardware. With a brand new game engine, the team behind the game is trying to make the story adapt to decisions the user makes and the game may have more RPG (role-playing game) elements than prior versions of the series.

What else will the company be talking about? GamePass will receive a few updates this year and of course, expect the company to highlight new titles coming to the platform as well.

Plans around the event are still coming together but the company is starting to lock-down the announcements for the keynote. Seeing as the event is still about four months away, the company could change plans and alter their keynote but for now, expect to hear more about the plans for Scarlett family of devices at E3 2019."

They better announce some big games at E3 and release early to support the console if their plan is to launch new hardware by fall of 2020 as it is still far. 

Do both consoles even have any games lined up till then? Mainly for Xbox other than Gears 5? The Halo Infinite seems to be a launch title for new hardware. 

Looks like SONY will let MS go ahead and see how it is received and then make changes/announcements accordingly. 

GamePass is very good and if they make entire catalogue PlayAnywhere along with new stuff, it'll be a game changer. Expecting PSNow to make some significant changes too. 

Amazing strategy by MS.

Casuals and Xbox haters will play xbox game via Xcloud stream on switch and phones, and  hardcore wil play on either Windows 10 or Xbox natively in 4k coz native 4k is given om Anaconda with 12tf gpu.  Lockhart is basically 1080p console at cheaper price point. 

This way MS gets both Xbox haters like Joe in their ecosystem and also fans like Trigger happy who will buy Anacondaa 

5 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:

Amazing strategy by MS.

Casuals and Xbox haters will play xbox game via Xcloud stream on switch and phones, and  hardcore wil play on either Windows 10 or Xbox natively in 4k coz native 4k is given om Anaconda with 12tf gpu.  Lockhart is basically 1080p console at cheaper price point. 

This way MS gets both Xbox haters like Joe in their ecosystem and also fans like Trigger happy who will buy Anacondaa 

Wow!