A Way Out

Heaven Angel

5 hours ago, santanu18 said:

Yes we will definitely try it out. It's been a long time since portal 2 man. What a game it was.

It sure was an amazing game. I am hoping this one will give us the much needed co-op challenge.

• 2 months later...

A Way Out is an innovative co-op story game with plenty of cinematic flair

A Way Out could last 15 hours if it rotated between talky bits, stealthy bits and shooty bits, but instead it lasts eight hours and aims to maintain a sense of novelty throughout.

It's difficult to judge the characters and story after a brief overview, but I already like that A Way Out disregards a lot of game conventions. It's a co-op game that isn't primarily about combat; it shifts between genres from scene to scene; and the game is designed to be lean, and last only as long as the story needs to. The gruff crooks you play might struggle to deliver the emotional gut-punch of Fares' last project Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but the inventive scene-shifts and unique take on co-op could create some surprising moments. Plus we're sorely lacking for great couch co-op games on PC. This clever crime caper is most welcome.

OpenCritic: 79

• Come for the prison-break bromance, stay for the stomach-punching finale.

• Hazelight Studios redefines with A Way Out what a coop game should be. Leo and Vincent's story has the players facing situations like we have never seen in a videogame before. This is undoubtedly one of this year's surprises.

• A Way Out is a solid interactive adventure that never overstays its welcome. It is a little short on replay value and lacks content but if we consider the launch price, there is not much to complain here. If you enjoy co-op games, there is no better recommendation than A Way Out.
  • A Way Out is nothing short of an awesome experience. The story is fantastic, the characters are very believable, and the game moves at a good pace. While it doesn't concentrate on a particular game style, it's easily accessible to all. The mandatory co-op may turn off those who can't easily find others to play with, but this game is well worth the effort of finding someone who's willing to go through the journey with you. A Way Out is certainly a game that's worth playing as soon as possible.
  • A Way Out takes some of the very best ideas from action adventure gaming and mixes them with the story telling of a great film.
  • A Way Out may not be the perfect local multiplayer game, and though Hazelight made the excellent decision to allow two online players to play the game using only one copy, it lacked the replayability required to inspire me to complete it with another friend after I'd finished my first playthrough. It's easy enough that you can sit on your couch and play it alongside just about anybody, and there's plenty of room for fooling around, but ultimately it didn't do as much with its unique concept as I would have liked.
  • Even with a cliched story at its center, A Way Out's persistent co-op elevates it to new heights for the newly married co-op adventure genre. The split-screen ebbs and flows according to what's happening with each character, enriching what would usually be a more-typical, stagnant co-op experience. While the middle of the game drags in some sections and finds itself littered with lousy, inessential combat, its first few hours and superb finale sequence are strong enough to make the whole journey worth seeing through.
  • A Way Out is a true achievement in game design. Not only does it manage to take players on a true journey of emotion, it does so in a way that is only possible through the medium of video games. It manages to do something truly special by making two players to cooperate for an extended amount of time, and the discussions that happen on the couch or over voice chat can be just as revealing as the game itself. Josef Fares and Hazelight have undoubtedly raised the bar for co-op gaming.
  • “From beginning to end A Way Out will have you on the edge of your seat
  • A Way Out is a shining example of couch co-op gaming done right.
  • The premise, and occasionally its execution, has its moments, but A Way Out feels like a vision not fully realized
  • If you don't mind silly and over-the-top action scenes that make most people roll their eyes, A Way Out will provide some decent mindless entertainment to you and a co-op buddy for a few hours. Otherwise, this is one to avoid.
  • A great, interactive action movie with co-op. However, each playthrough after the first one only highlights gameplay shortcomings and the fact that our choices don't matter.
  • A Way Out is a unique game, a huge success in the narrative genre, that deals more than well with its urge to make us play cooperatively. The concept, that involves an almost permanent split-screen, not only works great, but the story, its characters and the way we deal with some really simple but really engaging gameplay makes us feel like we are actually the two lovely protagonists of this interactive, full of action and emotion buddy movie.
  • There are better narrative-driven games, and there are better co-op games, but I find myself hard pressed to think of one that does both as gracefully as A Way Out. While let down by its writing, it's worth your time if you're looking for an adventure that can only be shared with someone else.
  • The results of a bold idea, which stays with us until the end and offers a very clever foundation for the gameplay. It's a little too short and, sometimes, the gameplay is too basic in order for the story to advance, but A Way Out is one of those gaming experiences you NEED to try at least once.
  • A Way Out is an impressive achievement that definitively proves creativity matters more than bloated budgets and big-name franchises. A technically accomplished, endlessly inventive co-op masterpiece, A Way Out will surprise and excite you from beginning to end. This one deserves to be a breakout hit.
  • A Way Out is a game that everyone should take the time to play with their best friend. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it succeeds at being highly entertaining despite its flaws. It's a unique experience, unlike anything else I've ever played, and a worthy follow-up by the developers who gave us the titular “Brothers.”

NICE! Even better that you can play co-op with a single copy. has18nC.png 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This was very well done. The co-op was flawless experience and the split-screen worked well. 

As for the game, thoroughly enjoyed it. The character duo was perfect. The lines landed very well, the story was good and overall it was fun to play albeit short.

The ending was unexpectedly fantastic. UmzMruP.png Worth your time. 

I wish the gameplay in this was more....meaty. The game felt to me like a series of short co-op minigames for the most part.

Still had good fun with it though and the ending was great indeed. Also, the fact that you only need one copy for online co-op as well is definitely appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Is anyone from here interested in playing this game? Need a co-op buddy to play this game. Even if you don't wanna buy you can still play it; if someone who owns the game and invites you to play.

I bought it during sale. It is still available for 449 rs. Not a bad deal.

https://store.playstation.com/en-in/product/EP0006-CUSA08004_00-AWAYOUTEU0000000

Edited by GameAnalyzer