Reached chapter 14 and very close to the end now.

Spoiler

The harbinger boss fight was so awesome. The music and the whole room lit up with flames was great. I do hope we get the boss fight with the singing ghost lady who has been showing up randomly throughout the game and also the white head monster which Myra spawns. It's been such a tease with them so far. I need my boss refills. 

Maxed out my major skills trees and invested my weapons upgrades mainly into Pistol and Shot-gun. I really wanted to get the 'Synaptic focus' perk from the Combat skill tree, but the bloody thing costs 75000 green gel, which is insane. It would pretty much mean, we forego a lot of our other upgrades. I don't think I'll be able to get it in this play-through. But my brother with largely benefit with my save in his NG+ mode, which he specifically requested me to do. I'm practically handing him and "almost God" save. :P 

1 hour ago, Heaven Angel said:

Dishonored 2 did well and I think Wolfenstein will too! 

Nowhere near "well". Wolfenstein has a strong nostalgia factor too it and the marketing has really been on point. 

Doesn't help the fact that they don't send early review copies (if at all) and create no buzz/marketing/hype for their games, relying solely on word of mouth. Sometimes it works like Doom, but mostly it just backfires. And then SP only nature of games get blamed for low sales.

1 hour ago, ALPHA17 said:

Nowhere near "well". Wolfenstein has a strong nostalgia factor too it and the marketing has really been on point. 

Aside of being a fantastic sequel to the franchise the technical blunders and issues on every platforms especially on PC impacted on sales unfavorably. Despite of that Dishonored 2 was the fourth best selling game and it had most pre-orders on steam and was ranked sixth that same week. But it dropped almost like 40% next week. Arkane studios did a really good job but the sales weren't on target. 

37 minutes ago, SpearHea:D said:

Okay i am liking what i am playing, loving the exploration and town setting. So far very good but missing the mikami sauce of throwing 10 enemies at once and making things intense as hell.

Headhsots are so damn fun to pull off.  Also are you guys facing little bit delay in picking up objects.

It might be PC optimization issue. Digital foundry mentioned -  "locked 60fps was off the table during our testing - even with an overclocked i7 and the mighty Titan Xp... running at 720p."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-evil-within-2-shines-on-ps4-but-xbox-one-and-pc-fall-short

Edited by GeraltOfRivia

...and done. Did a marathon session and finished it off.

Amazing! The pace in second half was great. I absolutely loved the last 3-4 chapters. The soundtrack in the chapter 15 was absolutely amazing. Did every side quest, collected every collectible, all the keys, missed 2 ammo upgrade pouches (Crossbow & Sniper), but got all the others. For those interested in the story, I'm reiterating the importance of residual memories, especially chapter 15. I also got the 'Synaptic focus' & 'Bullet Cascade' by somehow miraculous gathering close to 100K green Gel thanks to opening all those lockers. These 2 skills pretty much make Seb extremely OP.

Over-all, I loved the game. The first was something different altogether, it served the core horror element fabulously. But there was something missing; a story and heart to the character(s). This game completed that and thus made you connect to it. In the first game, I didn't give a rat's arse of what was going on and didn't even care about any characters. This game got me hooked right from the beginning and was easy to follow through. I see a lot of people hating Sebastian's voice in this game, I actually thought this VO did way better than the first, so did Kidman's VO. 

I do think there was room for improvement as far as the boss fights were concerned. The first game nailed those fights. This one did have them but some of them were just tease. The lack of enemy variety was also a bit disappointing. Also, the semi open world nature doesn't entirely work for this game. Going by the ending, I don't think there could be much more story to explore or even a sequel for that matter. They could do a DLC on some of the sub plots in the game. To me, it ended perfectly. Good job Tango Gameworks!

4jvc2P9.jpg

Edited by Ethan_Hunt
  • Like 1

Sounds good. Thanks for the write up.

I had similar issues with the story in the first one. I could barely make heads and tails of what was going on. I mean I understood the story but hated the way it was presented. Silent Hill 2 still remains the benchmark for how psychological horror should be done.

Somehow the semi open world stuff sounds more intriguing to me than the linear nature of the first game. I like tackling games at my own pace. It's something I wanted from Alan Wake (great game but ended up being too linear) and I'm glad it is a thing here.

I really want to play it now but I don't want to add yet another game to my "Now Playing" list. There's already 5 games I'm juggling between.

Edited by Tyler

The semi open world is incorporated to accommodate the side quests and back tracking. Unlike the first game, you can switch back and forth in the game's core areas in the first half of the game rather easily. It also allows for rather open ended approach in battling the enemies. You can chose to ignore them or get into a fight and still have plenty of room to escape. It does seem to have a sense of urgency and constant tension which felt like it was lurking around in the first game. I guess it made sense in the grand scheme of things this game was trying to pull together.

As for the performance analysis which Digital Foundry did above, I disagree with their assessment of keeping it locked on 30 on the GTX970. The average frame rate I was getting was close to 45fps, which is more than acceptable and definitely feels smoother than than 30 lock. Thankfully, I didn't encounter any stuttering like they experienced. 1080p Ultra worked just fine for me. 

For those who wish to bump up the difficulty, there is a mode to be unlocked post the completion of the game on any difficulty called 'Classic mode'. It's a revision of the already available difficulty mode called 'Nightmare' mode and here are it's insane requirements:

No autosaves. Die and you will be returned to the title screen.

A limited amount of saves. You can only save your game seven times throughout the entire game, so you’ll need to plot your course and only save when essential.
Sebastian will be unable to upgrade his weapons or himself.

You’ll have to make it all the way to the end of the game with Sebastian’s base parameters and effectively use every weapon and item in his arsenal to survive until the very end.

and here I thought the Akumu mode in the first game was brutal. :P 

Also, here's the track I was talking about. Such a lovely piece of work:

28 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Sounds good. Thanks for the write up.

I had similar issues with the story in the first one. I could barely make heads and tails of what was going on. I mean I understood the story but hated the way it was presented. Silent Hill 2 still remains the benchmark for how psychological horror should be done.

Somehow the semi open world stuff sounds more intriguing to me than the linear nature of the first game. I like tackling games at my own pace. It's something I wanted from Alan Wake (great game but ended up being too linear) and I'm glad it is a thing here.

I really want to play it now but I don't want to add yet another game to my "Now Playing" list. There's already 5 games I'm juggling between.

We are never gonna get another gem like Silent Hill 2 again, at least not given the way gaming industry works these days.

Just now, GeraltOfRivia said:

We are never gonna get another gem like Silent Hill 2 again, at least not given the way gaming industry works these days.

That's true, but there are certain indie torchbearers out there who still make horror games with great stories. I highly recommend SOMA from Frictional Games, such an underrated gem. Unfortunately for every Soma there's a crap ton of shitty jump scare games.

• Like 1

so apparently tew2 has bombed in sales aswell.. the current state of affairs for single player games is so sad.. i am doubtful we will see more sp games by next gen.. i have some hope from sony but outside of that i dont think we will get a game that is exclusively focused on sp aspects of the game..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, sobbii said:

so apparently tew2 has bombed in sales aswell.. the current state of affairs for single player games is so sad.. i am doubtful we will see more sp games by next gen.. i have some hope from sony but outside of that i dont think we will get a game that is exclusively focused on sp aspects of the game..

It is sad that single player games have to be critically acclaimed like The Witcher 3 to earn money while mediocre multiplayer games get more money. People these days jump on anything having multiplayer mode I guess.

The biggest example would be GTA V. I mean look at that game. It's still in the top selling charts and retail price isn't even dropping an inch. Rockstar started out building this series as a single player franchise and had DLCs which were equally as good as the main game. Now that they hit a gold mine with multiplayer in GTA V, there is no chance they will even consider doing SP content in it. :( 

Good thing Witcher didn't have to suffer any of this bullsh*t. 

I wonder for how long Bethesda will keep funding games like EW, Wolfenstien and Dishonored games.  These games are clearly not big money makers for Bethesda like ES and Fallout games. 

EW and Dishonored both failed to make NPD charts at launch. 

Edited by WhiteWolf

^ Hmmmmm... I dunno, maybe by not reducing the cost of the game to bargain bin levels, supporting it with DLC (at least in the case of Wolfenstein) and not yanking their games off the largest PC storefront. Just a hunch. 

The biggest example would be GTA V. I mean look at that game. It's still in the top selling charts and retail price isn't even dropping an inch. Rockstar started out building this series as a single player franchise and had DLCs which were equally as good as the main game. Now that they hit a gold mine with multiplayer in GTA V, there is no chance they will even consider doing SP content in it. [emoji20] 

Good thing Witcher didn't have to suffer any of this bullsh*t. 
This so much. R* have lost so much cred from me for doing this. Their games used to focus so much on the amazing story, characters and the gameplay that they used to make. Now they just milk Gta online. Makes me so sad that they did not release any single player expansion for it. I see RDR 2 going the same way with heavy focus on mp.
Valve are on a similar level, I think they have forgotten they make games too and not just hats to milk TF and Dota for all its worth.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, i_rock098 said:

This so much. R* have lost so much cred from me for doing this. Their games used to focus so much on the amazing story, characters and the gameplay that they used to make. Now they just milk Gta online. Makes me so sad that they did not release any single player expansion for it. I see RDR 2 going the same way with heavy focus on mp.
Valve are on a similar level, I think they have forgotten they make games too and not just hats to milk TF and Dota for all its worth.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Get PS4 if you care about microtransactions free Single player exclusives. Sony still funding lot of expensive looking AAA Single player games without microtransactions. 

PC is full of Gaas type games lol 

Get PS4 if you care about microtransactions free Single player exclusives. Sony still funding lot of expensive looking AAA Single player games without microtransactions. 

PC is full of Gaas type games lol 
god of war will have mts 5$ and aphrodite dudh pilaayegi..