Artifact

ScrewyAurum

Screen-Shot-2017-08-08-at-6.18.09-PM-800

Developer: Valve Software

Platforms: PC, TBA

Release Date: 2018

Valve has used the grand stage of The International 7 to announce Artifact, an online card game based on Dota 2's world and, to some extent, its mechanics. 

The card game is based on three-lane gameplay, separating it from existing standard collectible card games. Additionally, there are brackets which spawn creeps, players can use five heroes at once, and also get item cards for those heroes. The mechanics difference is necessary, as this is seemingly a reaction to Blizzard's success with Hearthstone, and shows Valve's desire to get into the same arena.

Sadly, Artifact's reveal was not followed with anything in the way of screenshots or gameplay. Instead, Plott described having played test versions of the game already, and his brief description hinted at a one-on-one digital card-battling game, like Hearthstone, only with a Dota-themed three-lane system and other Dota-like tweaks.

"I played a game where I was getting my a*s kicked in two lanes," Plott told the bemused crowd. "I kept building barracks in the third [lane], and I kept flooding the lane with creeps." What Plott didn't tell the crowd was that this is the game developer Brad Muir has been leading at Valve since he left Double Fine (where he previously led development on the tactical RPG Massive Chalice and the co-op tower-defense game Trenched).

• 7 months later...

Archived