HELP : PS4 disconnecting randomly

Witchfinder General

Hi guys,

I need help with connecting my ps4 to the internet.Ive been using mtnls internet since I got a ps3 till recently I got to know about a private isp here in my locality which offers good speed for the same cost as mtnl, I got the new connection yesterday,a fiber connection but its not to working fine and I cant figure out what or where the problem is.

I have always used a pppoe wired connection since it gives me NAT1 and saves me a lot of trouble,got a new router too,Dlink 2877al a few months back which too worked fine with mtnls connection.The new connection is setup the same way,pppoe on the same Dlink router, but its coming up with some sort of error everytime I try to setup the ps4 with the pppoe username and password.It either fails to obtain a ip or says the username and password is incorrect while my pc is running on the same pppoe setup.I assigned a static ip for the ps4 and DMZ'd the ip,it connects but then after about 15-20mins my game get laggy and I get kicked out a game and party chat too.I switched back to a old router which was provided by mtnl and Im able to log in through pppoe without any hassles but mtnls connection is slower and the pings bad.

Im hoping to get back to rainbow six as soon as this gets sorted out.Please let me know if someone knows a way to fix this.

So u have directly connected wire from you service provider in PS4? If not i m not sure why you are you using ppoe as connection type.
For example my setup is

ISP provider to router
Lan from router to ps4

I m not able to understand your setup, will be able to help if you post your setup like how i did

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Yeah the way you've described your setup is very confusing. Mainly because the pppoe username and password would have to be entered on the router itself and then the connection would be distributed to the PS4 and PC via WiFi/Lan.

If it's fiber then in most cases the connection will look like

ISP to Fiber Modem to Router to PS4.

If the connection is like the above then it could be an issue with a double NAT which means you will end up with NAT3 on the PS4. This in turn will cause exactly the connection issues you're facing.

This is all hypothetical because you need to explain exactly how your connection is setup. Modem brand model number, router brand model number etc. You indicated you are using Dlink 2877al which is an ADSL 2+ router so there's probably a modem between the router and ISP for fiber conversion.

By modem you mean a fiber to ethernet converter?Yes the new isp installed it,it has 2 ports,a fiber port in which a thin yellow wires plugged in and a lan port through which its connected to the routers WAN port by a lan rj45 cable.Im told there is nothing to set in the modem/fiber-ethernet converter.

Heres its website,it not the same model but very similar to this - http://optilinknetwork.com/products.php?p_id=49

My new connection is - isp(yellow wire) -> modem lan port -> router WAN port -> router LAN1 port -> PS4, I cant connect through pppoe anymore and as I mentioned earlier,I assigned a static ip too but that too doesnt work,I start lagging and then get kicked and disconnected from party chat.The pc,phones etc that are connected to the router are working fine.

My MTNL connection was isp -> router ADSL port-> router LAN1 -> PS4 and then in internet setting is go custom -> PPPOE and add my username and password and set the rest to automatic.

I connect the ps4 through pppoe to bypass the router and connect directly to the internet with a public ip and get a NAT 1 connection and have always used a wired connecetion never through wifi.

My router has 3 options - IP Version: IPv4  :  IPv4/IPv6  :  IPv6. Its set at IPv4 right now. I cant see any settings for IPv4, there are just these three options.

Im using a Dlink-2877al router,its got a WAN port,4 ethernet ports and a rj11/adsl port.The fiber converter/modem is by Opticport.

Since I had a 3-4Mbps connection,stable but very low download-upload speed and high ping,with a nat1 connection I would have no blocked ports or firewall thats why I used to connect through pppoe on the ps4.

Ive assigned a static ip for the ps4 and put the ip in dmz on the router and with automatic setting im getting NAT 2 now.This too isnt working out,online games seem to work fine for about 10-15mins and then start to lag-rubberband and then get disconnected,the whole ps4 looses internet connection.

The MTNL pppoe connection was setup the same way as this new fiber connection isp -> router -> router lan1 -> ps4,, but now my ps4 isnt connecting to internet anymore through pppoe,the error I get says the pppoe username and password is incorrect.

Would disabling the routers firewall make any difference?

Anyway if you're getting NAT2 and you're able to connect for a while it's either the ISP or the router. Try another router or like adity mentioned try a hotspot. But most likely it's the ISP itself.

Im able to connect a play without any problems with the mtnl setup/internet-router.The mtnl router doesnt have a WAN port, has a ADSL port instead.

I connected my ps4 using my laptops wifi hotspot with the fiber connection,I was able to connect but with a strict Nat3 connection.

I also tried to connect through wifi bridge mode,laptops wifi -> laptops ethernet port -> ps4, it seemed to work fine,played a game without any lag,I got a Nat2 connection with it but the connection got disconnected after a while and im not able to connect through that method again.

Its like the ps doesnt want to connect to anything but mtnl's crappy connection :wallbash:

Try using a proxy server setup. See if it works.

Your Mtnl wire comes into your modem/router. There should be at least two lan ports to connect to devices. Put a lan cable into modem and then into ps4. Choose land cable and easy setup option. Ppoe setup is to be done on modem setup 1 time only. After you connect devices through land or WiFi no setup required. Just enable DHCP option in modem settings and done. Also make sure any time out settings for devices is turned off. Check when ps4 disconnects that connection live or dead.

You mean to connect it to the mtnl connection without using pppoe setup?Connect the ps through easy setup?

I dont know how to setup a proxy server.

My dlink router through which I was using the new fiber connection,the router has stopped working.It could be the router that was creating problems?

Forget MTNL. You know that works fine so we don't need to discuss that at all. Now that you know the dlink router is not working try another router for the fiber connection and see if that fixes the problem. 

The setup should be like this 

ISP to Fiber Modem to Router to PS4

In the router make sure you have the pppoe settings (un/PW) entered correctly. Now when the PS4 is connected to the router use automatic settings. 

Ive got a new router today,going to get it setup by the isp's tech guy tday evening or tmrw.

The isp here insisted on giving me a static ip,not the paid kind but a ip thats static on his server, but I still got a pppoe connection since I thought would work out.So should I get a pppoe connection or a static ip connection?

Do I assign and dmz a ip for the ps4 on the new router or dont?

The ps is working now with the new router,ips's tech guy set it up with a static ip and I assigned a static ip for the ps in the router and dmz'd it.

I guess having gigabit ports on your router for a fiber internet connection does make a difference for gaming.The old router was faulty but would have never performed the same as it dint have gigabit ports.

For PS's setup, it is connected through easy mode now and picked up the assigned ip automatically,getting nat2 though but as long as its working im happy ;) .

Thanks a ton everyone for the help and suggestions,

WG.

Archived