Nintendo is shutting down the Wii Shop in 2019

Nintendo is shutting down the Wii Shop in 2019

Nintendo will shut down the Wii Shop channel on January 30th, 2019, marking the end of an era for the service that first came online for Wii consoles in December 2006. The shutdown will happen gradually: users will still be able to add Wii Points until March 26th, 2018, and still be able to use those points to purchase content until the shop fully goes offline in January 2019.

YOU ALSO WON’T BE ABLE TO RE-DOWNLOAD PREVIOUSLY PURCHASED WII AND VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES

Additionally, at some point — Nintendo hasn’t put an exact date on it yet — you also won’t be able to re-download previously purchased Wii and Virtual Console games or the Wii System Transfer Tool to move files to the Wii U. Nintendo recommends that if you have games you want to download or content you want to move to a Wii U, do it while you still can.

It’s a particularly curious decision, given that there’s a lot of legacy Nintendo content locked away in the Virtual Console that Nintendo has bafflingly not brought to the Switch yet. Still, as we pour one out for the Wii Shop Channel, we can look back and remember the best thing about it: the incredible background music.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/29/nintendo-will-close-its-wii-shop-channel-in-2019/

....have been purchasing  many wii games recently  and now this news.....atleast give me the option to get refund for my purchases if closing the shop.

bc......such policy is at criminal level.....its stealing people's money.  ..

Buying anything online from Nintendo is generally a bad idea. 

Their sh*t tier prices and purchases being tied to hardware are reason enough to have avoided the Wii store like the f**king plague. 

13 minutes ago, Aftrunner said:

Buying anything online from Nintendo is generally a bad idea. 

Their sh*t tier prices and purchases being tied to hardware are reason enough to have avoided the Wii store like the f**king plague. 

I dont how is this not a case to sue them ...do i not own my digital purchases as long as the company is there...

What gives them the right to stop all my purchases from the downloading.

Sony Ms can do the same thing ...all our games gone if we uninstall them.

As for buying digitally....what option is there. Physical copies are hard to come by and they are f**king expensive...digital i bought using coupon from my birthday special offers etc...so manage to save some money.

If i had knew that these mc ...will just suddenly announce something like that....leta hi nahi.

Spoiler

wow no option to even download them? That's shitty. I doubt Sony and MS will do such things.. Option to re-download will always remain there i think..

MS has integrated 360 store into Xbox One.. Almost all 360 games can be downloaded and played directly on all present and future Xbox consoles.

2 minutes ago, Star Lord said:

Most of my 3DS games are from their eShop as well. Seriously pathetic company :rant:

And Mohit wanted me to buy Switch lol.. Nintendo nintendo karta hai aur nintendo ne usko ungli deekha di lol...

I don't like Nintendo console and it's games now coz they treat their customers like sh*t..

27 minutes ago, WhiteWolf said:
  Reveal hidden contents

wow no option to even download them? That's shitty. I doubt Sony and MS will do such things.. Option to re-download will always remain there i think..

MS has integrated 360 store into Xbox One.. Almost all 360 games can be downloaded and played directly on all present and future Xbox consoles.

Nintendo is setting a bad precedent though.

8 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

And Mohit wanted me to buy Switch lol.. Nintendo nintendo karta hai aur nintendo ne usko ungli deekha di lol...

I don't like Nintendo console and it's games now coz they treat their customers like sh*t..

You have every console ps4 and xbox ...plus high end pc...only you dont have is Nintendo...which is why adviced  to buy one for something different.

As for the policy ..well what can i say....they have been f**king consumers since long time....but people still buy .

From IGN's article:

Anything already purchased will be re-downloadable until a later date.

Following the closure of the Wii Shop Channel, Wii users will still be able to re-download anything they've already purchased, as well as transfer their content from Wii to Wii U using the Wii System Transfer, but these services will also be shutting down at some point in the future as well after the closure of the Channel. Following that, all content will remain playable unless it's removed from the console, at which point it will be permanently lost.

If you’ve already downloaded it, then it’ll be accessible. This is equivalent to stores no longer selling Wii games, which pretty much all don’t anymore.

4 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

From IGN's article:

If you’ve already downloaded it, then it’ll be accessible. This is equivalent to stores no longer selling Wii games, which pretty much all don’t anymore.

No it isn't. If you have a game disc, you have it forever, whereas the digital version if deleted will not be re-downloadable in future, so you have lost your purchased game.

Same IGN article mentions that even though people can download purchased games for now, this service will also be shut down in future.

6 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Not really. It's not like they are shutting it down immediately. Whoever purchased the games have years of time to download and have a backup. 

My decade old disks wish they were digital. 

If Steam does this in future and says, "Hey guys, we are shutting down, please download all your digital games and take backup. Thanks!", will you still defend the move ?

My point was for all digital distribution services. 

As long the company provides enough time to download/store data and allow users to play with it, I'm okay with it. 

They can't simply keep running their servers while having little to no activity. 

This is why I never buy digital from Nintendo. I always make it a point to get physical games. If you read the fine print before downloading digital games, you will see that the terms of use are something along the lines of "Nintendo is leasing the games to you and you don't actually own them". This is why they cannot be sued over this. 

7 minutes ago, bowser said:

This is why I never buy digital from Nintendo. I always make it a point to get physical games. If you read the fine print before downloading digital games, you will see that the terms of use are something along the lines of "Nintendo is leasing the games to you and you don't actually own them". This is why they cannot be sued over this. 

WTF!..........i never bordered to read the terms and conditons but yeh hai ....sahi mein bc kya company hai.

Exploiting fans and gamers....good that Wii U is my first and last Nintendo console.... I was very close to buying switch in Switzerland as it was much light weight also but thank God i instead went for a waterproof mobile than to give this company my money.

I honestly wish they dont do good in gaming industry ......

6 minutes ago, coolboyind said:

I don't like a lot of what Nintendo does either. However, they have contributed greatly towards what video games are today. Hoping/wishing they don't do good is our own loss as gamers, even if we don't even play Nintendo games. Sony or Microsoft should not enjoy a total monopoly in video games, it will eliminate a healthy competition.

I know they have contributed a lot but that does that not mean they can go on to take advantage of it.

Look at their policys man none of the deal with them seem to be clear and fair....its complete extortion at times ....we all buy digital games because we know we can play them back whenever we want and world has moved on ...its globalised world ...people keep moving around so digital is the only way to go about but they had to take the advantage of that as well. 

Archived