Nintendo is shutting down the Wii Shop in 2019

Just now, Sach4life said:

They are giving you time to download your games and make a backup of them. They are notifying you in advance. It is highly impractical to expect a company to keep their servers online forever. 

I got no notification on my Wii U as such....so they are not notifying me ...I was just kinda of lucky to have come across this news on the net with still ample of time left.

Its also highly impractical for a consumer to pay so much for a game and still not be able to own the game and only use license for few years before these company close them.....so only practical way I see now is :zodka:  

3 minutes ago, playstation said:

I got no notification on my Wii U as such....so they are not notifying me ...I was just kinda of lucky to have come across this news on the net with still ample of time left.

Its also highly impractical for a consumer to pay so much for a game and still not be able to own the game and only use license for few years before these company close them.....so only practical way I see now is :zodka:  

Why would you get a notification about wii shop on wii u? 

This is how software works and its not restricted to just games. It is the same with any other software as well.

Just now, Sach4life said:

Why would you get a notification about wii shop on wii u? 

This is how software works and its not restricted to just games. It is the same with any other software as well.

Because that is where i purchased the Wii games from....

Just now, GeraltOfRivia said:

Don't go that way.. you can criticize these companies or boycott them or live with their terms..  but you don't get a license to piracy.

there is a certain level of trust that I am sure all of us put in these companies when we buy the digital games that they be able to provide this service for a  long time........tell me How long before Wii  games came on eshop just few years back and in next 2 years its gone... their terms say we dont own them and can only use the license but is it not breach of trust that will remove the service in such short span  ....even if they say go ahead and make the backup.......luckily i have not more than 10-12 games for wii so backup is not going to be so difficult but if Sony or Steam were to do something like that.....I would have to spend a crazy amount of money on making backups....I own more than 300  games on Steam and  about 70-100 on PS3......

12 minutes ago, playstation said:

Because that is where i purchased the Wii games from....

there is a certain level of trust that I am sure all of us put in these companies when we buy the digital games that they be able to provide this service for a  long time........tell me How long before Wii  games came on eshop just few years back and in next 2 years its gone... their terms say we dont own them and can only use the license but is it not breach of trust that will remove the service in such short span  ....even if they say go ahead and make the backup.......luckily i have not more than 10-12 games for wii so backup is not going to be so difficult but if Sony or Steam were to do something like that.....I would have to spend a crazy amount of money on making backups....I own more than 300  games on Steam and  about 70-100 on PS3......

I understand your point, but piracy is still not right.

14 hours ago, GeraltOfRivia said:

Losing your physical game is your mistake, but losing the ability to download your purchased licensed game from server is distributor's failure. Again, they can claim that they are not liable to keep the servers up in T&C and EULA, but it still remains a negative move on their end, unless they are filing for bankruptcy.

In the eyes of the law, even losing access to digital games due to company's decision is your fault. This is because, you willingly, with a sound mind and without coercion accepted the terms and conditions of the contract (EULA). The right originally lies with the content creator (game dev/publisher). It's up to them if they want to sell. They set the terms and you (meaning everyone) accepted. The only negative they can face is bad publicity. But even in this case, I see more bad publicity for other games micro-transactions than from Nintendo's fans.

Also, regarding piracy, everyone will have different opinions. Some will pirate everything (even what they have not purchased). Some will pirate what they lose access to. Some will not pirate games , but will pirate TV Shows and music. Some will not pirate at all. The best way I found is to just ignore it and let others do what they want. 

On 10/5/2017 at 10:25 AM, Sach4life said:

They are giving you time to download your games and make a backup of them. They are notifying you in advance. It is highly impractical to expect a company to keep their servers online forever. 

LOL f**king bollocks. 

The corporate ball-washing is ridiculous. 

Archived