Package stuck in customs

Team,

I had ordered a 7.5Kg package from Japan, with invoice value close to 150USD equivalent of JPY, I was sureshot expecting customs on the package.

Track: <<redacted>>

The package has been with Mumbai customs since 14th of October; the last status on Indian post is "Transfer from office of exchange (inb)" Mumbai to Bangalore and then nothing.

I also havent recieved any snail mail from CBEC asking me to send details of the item / invoice etc (which they sometimes request for when they are unclear which category the item belongs to and how much they should charge on it)

I am currently worried as the package has been with them for 12 days now and there hasnt been any update on the tracking and I havent heard from them directly as well.

Is there a way, by which I can contact them? Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance

No tracking update from 14th Oct

Checked with Mumbai foreign post office, they had routed it further to Bangalore Foreign post office.

Called Bangalore PO, they said they received it on 20th and the parcel has been held back by Bangalore customs office.

Tried reaching the customs office (this was around 27th Oct); they finally picked up and then broke for lunch didnt give any updates.

I thought it would be wise to standback and not call them again.

Next steps?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for the response, called them relentlessly 6-7 times on Thursday, finally got to speak to their superintendent and told her the package content and amount; she said she will release the package after assessing it.

The package reached local Post office yesterday, went there today and paid whopping customs (4781 INR) in cash; will post pics soon.

This seems fishy. Games bought in India are charged 18 percent gst. No reason to charge 28 percent here. 
Anyplace where I can contest this?
Not planning to import any more stuff

PS: this was a limited edition second hand console

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

FYI I was recently charged 80% customs on a figurine. You can try to contest but there's no transparency and the end result will most likely never favour you unless you have contacts.

Just suck it up :|

Also customs on games are 40% or so, nothing wrong there.

• 3 months later...

Archived