Shadow of The Tomb Raider

Heaven Angel

7 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

Afty just play the game man. Stop  bitching about everything. :/

Hey man, did you like the game because I'm pretty sure you have completed it. Do share your thoughts. This game has a lot of mixed to negative reviews online.

Also, did you do the Side Missions and are they worth spending time on or should I just go with the main story and Challenge Tombs?

Edited by Black_Hawk

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone played the DLCs? Are they worth picking up?

I completed the Main Story, Side Missions and all the Tombs. It's a decent game, although didn't enjoy it like the previous TR games. I think the story didn't set well with me. The controls are very fluid except for the annoying aiming with the bow, which is messy. The most fun I had was doing the tombs.

I did Iike playing through this... yes, largely because I got back to a TR game after quite a while. Is it going to be fondly memorable... sadly don't think so but then again in a time like this gaming is definitely one of those things we can fall back on and cherish.

Edited by Black_Hawk

Completed all the DLCs:

The Forge

The Pillar

The Nightmare

The Price of Survival

The Serpent's Heart

The Grand Caiman

The Path Home

The DLCs were actually fun to play-through. My favorites were The Forge and The Nightmare (almost made the game into a spooky horror title at one point and the Tomb design in this level was amazing). Each one of the DLC's had a Tomb to explore and the puzzles were good. I would definitely recommend doing the DLCs to whoever has completed the main game.

Been a long journey with this game. Time to move on now... :)

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2020 at 10:56 AM, Black_Hawk said:

Hey man, did you like the game because I'm pretty sure you have completed it. Do share your thoughts. This game has a lot of mixed to negative reviews online.

Also, did you do the Side Missions and are they worth spending time on or should I just go with the main story and Challenge Tombs?

Loved the game. It's one of my favourite entry in Series 

I've only played first 2 and this is already one of my fav franchises.

I enjoyed TR1 but didn't think too much of it.

Then I played Rise and it was just perfect for me. Perfect blend of action, exploration, story, platforming and crafting, rpg elements. Just hit that sweet spot. 

Avoided Shadow for a long time because it was too expensive. Bought it a week ago when it was 85% off on Steam. Will play it somewhere in the next month. :D

• 1 year later...

Loved TR 2013, but found ROTR quite generic and mediocre and hence wasn't looking forward to this game much. The reception was also lukewarm iirc. But the game surprised me...have been playing it for over a week now and loving it. As everyone mentioned, game looks amazing & with Lara, I dont mind those slow walk sections :)  But level design is something that stood out to me the most. Love exploring the environment and the exploration is usually rewarding...some trail here, some underwater cave there, leading to tombs, crypts, murals etc etc. Initially started with highest level of difficulty for exploration as it was quite satisfying to find the hidden stuff...but that became a frustrating waste of time soon as in larger areas it is difficult to identify without the hints, which ledge the game is allowing to hang on to. I have crossed two level so far and have on average ~95% completion rate, even though I am not a completionist or into trophies. Exploring the game world is that good.  After playing UC:LL, I felt like I am done with this kind of action-adventure games, but traversing these ancient ruins and tombs, hidden or lost cities will never get old, I guess. 

Regarding the shortcomings, Crypts/Tombs are decent but thats one area where I think RoTR did better. Lara is still as irritating as ever with her constant whining and cringey voice acting. Cant help but compare it to UC, where the characters and their interactions feel so natural, the animations are much more refined, but here her one liners fall flat and seems forced and cringey. And compared to other games I am finding it much harder to aim and shoot using a bow. Still a very enjoyable game and looking forward to the dlcs as well as I've heard tombs there are much better.

I went with low expectations for this game and was genuinely pleased with it.I ignored the voice acting and story to an extent and focused on the gameplay instead…. Was really awesome :P 

Would love to play another one like this but I guess they’re done with series.

Edited by kold_war

• 2 months later...

After 3+ months finished SOTR+DLCs. As someone who dint like ROTR much, I liked it way more than I thought I would do. With the main campaign(story was just ok), side missions, tombs, crypts, monoliths....there was a lot of good content. Game looked phenomenal and I just loved to explore the environments, even though I wasnt going for some trophy for collecting trash. Howl of the monkey gods was the tomb I liked the most, but overall ROTR did tombs better IMO. Lara was the only thing I dint like about the game. From a bada*s character of iconic stature, turned into a cringey, whining, generic protagonist. But I went in expecting this, so not much of an issue. Hope she goes back to being a bada*s...a small glimpse of which they had shown in one of the missions.
Would also prefer if the game isnt that grounded. Have only played one TR game before this trilogy..forgot its name but I remember having a lot of fun with puzzles involving a Kraken, underwater city(which was one of the most impressive things I had seen in games at that time), OP Thor's hammer and what not.  

• Like 1

Almost at the end of Shadow of tomb raider, really liked the atmosphere of the game, helped exploring the areas, in some games it feels like a drag but I really liked it here. Played around with the photo mode a ton because some areas were gorgeous. The story is so sub-par, though. My cousin has been trying for years to get me to play the TR games and this was the first one I tried. Might try Rise after this.