Devil May Cry 5

Shadoken

13 hours ago, Ne0 said:

Started and finished the game as I got to know it’s leaving ps extra in Jan.  it was quite short, I think it took me like 12 hours or so, although it has like 20 quests in it.  I think the game plays quite similar to its predecessors with the same shallow button mashing combo-chain raking combat ! The game is lot of fun though, the cut scenes are bonkers and some of the best choreographed I’ve seen. Also the last 4-5 quests kinda damaged my l3 button on the ps5 controller.  Stopped before my ps5 controller becomes a mess with Vergil in Sparda difficulty !  

Overall, I felt it’s quite average simply because of the shallow combat and the cheesy same old sibling rivalry story , also the ending is pretty silly ! Not bad for playing on subs like ps extra though.  I didn’t really get bored even for a second, but not really a game I would remember after I’ve played.

Combat is shallow if you dont explore the combo mechanism. It has some of the best combo mechanics in any hack and slash game ever.

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

Combat is shallow if you dont explore the combo mechanism. It has some of the best combo mechanics in any hack and slash game ever.

I did explore, I think I upgraded almost every weapon of every character to a large extent (except that of Vergil) , except those that cost upwards of like 35000 red orbs.  I even used them in most battles and I do agree it’s great to chain combos and get that sss rating !

When I said it’s shallow, I meant that except for the rating, there’s no real need to actually play the game that way. There’s no special tactics or special weapons required for any enemy or boss type.  There’s no parry or block, no abilities/magic and the game just relies on incessant button mashing to defeat almost every enemy type including bosses. The only differentiator is how well you can chain those combos to get the perfect sss rating in battles !

I understand this is how this series is built (style over substance), which is also why I’ve always found dmc games inferior to ninja gaiden or god of war !

5 hours ago, Ne0 said:

When I said it’s shallow, I meant that except for the rating, there’s no real need to actually play the game that way. There’s no special tactics or special weapons required for any enemy or boss type.  There’s no parry or block, no abilities/magic and the game just relies on incessant button mashing to defeat almost every enemy type including bosses. The only differentiator is how well you can chain those combos to get the perfect sss rating in battles !

Parry isn't just in the game, it's actually very OP. Have you seen the video with Dante bullying everyone with just Perry? Specially Vergil fight?