Ask The Experts

Chaztin

On 12/05/2018 at 1:48 PM, kunjanp said:

I am a college student and noise cancelling is necessary during commute, through out college hours.

Anways, does anyone has experience with Bower&Wilkins PX? Although they are a bit more expensive but apparently sounds better of the bunch, and ANC is good as well though not as good as Sony.

B&W is all fashion and no comfort. I'd rather go with PXC550, has better sound, features and app customization. 

15 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

B&W is all fashion and no comfort. I'd rather go with PXC550, has better sound, features and app customization. 

Fashion? Yes, No Comfort? Again Yes.

But I tried them myself, side to side with QC35, PXC550, and their sound stage and signature is much better than the other two, vocals especially females are kind of muted in Bose/Senn/Sony and gets lost in the background, they didn't in B&W, they do lack go bass though.

Anyways, stacked up the odds, and decided to go with Sony 1000XM2, best ANC, most features, sounds better than Bose/Senn, comes very close to B&W and for a lesser price.

Only thing I wary, is their build quality, will see how they hold up with use.

Guys can anyone recommend a good microwave oven in the range of 7K?

I have absolutely no idea what to look for in terms of features. I mostly intend to heat some snacks and occasional dinner/lunch items. 

28 minutes ago, adity said:

Safe. Bought a couple of times from it. There is gameloot too. Both good sites. 

Thanks, man. It was hard to find reliable sites for used games. Gametheshop has been promising preowned games since inception but never happen. Amazon mostly has one used seller Gamenation and that’s too limited games. 

Need your inputs guys for building a HTPC. My basic requirements are listed below

• Main Objective: Should be able to play 4K videos with HDR at 60HZ and bitstream dolby atmos audio
  • Secondary Objective: Should be quiet with low TDP. This will run 24hrs a day and will double up as plex server
  • Motherboard: Budget board of Mini or Micro ATX.
  • CPU: Intel or AMD, either is fine. Low TDP at a reasonable cost.
  • GPU: Onboard GPU or fan less Graphic Card if need be
  • Ram: Minimal ram to support 4k playback and normal PC usage
  • Case: Should be small and ideally with enough room to add at least 3x3.5" HDD and 2x2.5" SSD. No Optical Drives needed
  • PSU: Enough to power the components while keeping a lower noise and power footprint. There will be no upgrades done so headroom is not required
  • Other Specs: HDMI out on Motherboard/GPU should meet HDMI 2.0a/b specifications
  • Budget: 30K (You can exclude I/O peripherals, Speakers etc.)

Do keep in mind that this won't be used for gaming at all as I already have a Xbox One X and a PS4 PRO for gaming.

This build is purely for consuming media of the 4k variety and for running 24x7 as a plex server and for running a torrent client.

Alternatively, I have been exploring the possibility of getting an Intel NUC or just get the best streaming device available right now i.e Nvidia Shield. But both don't fit some of my requirements listed above.

@ALPHA17 Any thoughts?

Edited by L33TWiZaRd
Added more information

9 hours ago, L33TWiZaRd said:

Need your inputs guys for building a HTPC. My basic requirements are listed below

• Main Objective: Should be able to play 4K videos with HDR at 60HZ and bitstream dolby atmos audio
  • Secondary Objective: Should be quiet with low TDP. This will run 24hrs a day and will double up as plex server
  • Motherboard: Budget board of Mini or Micro ATX.
  • CPU: Intel or AMD, either is fine. Low TDP at a reasonable cost.
  • GPU: Onboard GPU or fan less Graphic Card if need be
  • Ram: Minimal ram to support 4k playback and normal PC usage
  • Case: Should be small and ideally with enough room to add at least 3x3.5" HDD and 2x2.5" SSD. No Optical Drives needed
  • PSU: Enough to power the components while keeping a lower noise and power footprint. There will be no upgrades done so headroom is not required
  • Other Specs: HDMI out on Motherboard/GPU should meet HDMI 2.0a/b specifications
  • Budget: 30K (You can exclude I/O peripherals, Speakers etc.)

Do keep in mind that this won't be used for gaming at all as I already have a Xbox One X and a PS4 PRO for gaming.

This build is purely for consuming media of the 4k variety and for running 24x7 as a plex server and for running a torrent client.

Alternatively, I have been exploring the possibility of getting an Intel NUC or just get the best streaming device available right now i.e Nvidia Shield. But both don't fit some of my requirements listed above.

@ALPHA17 Any thoughts?

I honestly dont know if you want to build an HTPC with broadband speeds going up and more options to stream coming in every day. 

I have an HTPC right now and I am selling it because it is just straight up lying unused since I just stream everything off the Chromecast right now. Honestly dont think its worth it. 

9 hours ago, L33TWiZaRd said:

~snip~

AMD Ryzen 2200G 

MSi  B350M PRO-VDH 

8GB Corsair Vengeance /Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz (add more RAM down the line)

Cooler Master Q300L / MasterBox K500L 

Here is a PCPartPicker link for a potential build, where are you going to pick up the components from? 

Honestly, your biggest issue would be finding a fairly compact chassis with the amount of mounting points /options that you are gunning for. 

Let me know if you have anymore queries going forward. 

Edited by ALPHA17

12 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

MSi  B350M PRO-VDH 

Thanks for the reply however the board you suggested only has HDMI 1.4.

One of my main criteria with this build is to have HDMI 2.0 a/b support as this is needed to playback content @ 4K 60HZ with HDR.

Any other motherboard alternatives?

The other route that i can take is go with a Nvidia Pascal card but that will inflate my budget and increase overall TDP which I am not really keen on.

I will have to pickup the components from India, somewhere in India and I am ok to compromise on some of the mounting options if need be to get the right chasis.

12 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

I honestly dont know if you want to build an HTPC with broadband speeds going up and more options to stream coming in every day. 

I have an HTPC right now and I am selling it because it is just straight up lying unused since I just stream everything off the Chromecast right now. Honestly dont think its worth it. 

Depends on what one is streaming, I am making the HTPC primarily to play remux files of UHD which are 4K with HDR. The only capable streaming device that can play these files while also doing prime and netflix 4k is the Nvidia Shield. Plus you can't torrent on a chromecast :P

Edited by L33TWiZaRd

13 hours ago, L33TWiZaRd said:

Thanks for the reply however the board you suggested only has HDMI 1.4.

One of my main criteria with this build is to have HDMI 2.0 a/b support as this is needed to playback content @ 4K 60HZ with HDR.

Any other motherboard alternatives?

If you can hold off on the purchase, newer AMD motherboards will be arriving with updated HDMI standard ports. 

13 hours ago, L33TWiZaRd said:

I will have to pickup the components from India, somewhere in India and I am ok to compromise on some of the mounting options if need be to get the right chasis.

So e-retail or offline retail? Which city, town?

21 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

BEGONE FILTHY PIRATE SCUM! 

:P

Hahahaha. Pehele Aap :P

19 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Plex supports 4K HDR stream over a local network.   

Netflix 4K content is pretty garbage. 

Netflix content in 4K HDR is limited and the compression on it is pretty brutal :( and for Plex to stream 4K HDR over local network I will have to beef up my PC.

13 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

If you can hold off on the purchase, newer AMD motherboards will be arriving with updated HDMI standard ports. 

So e-retail or offline retail? Which city, town?

I can hold off for a few months for sure. Rates for PC components is getting really crazy right now.

I live in Gurgaon and will most likely buy from Nehru Place if that is cheaper than online.

Alternatively, I could even go the Intel NUC route which all things considered makes most sense. Will have to dispose off my Internals HDD or create a separate NAS out of the HDDs and run that in parallel to the NUC. Maybe this ?

1 hour ago, L33TWiZaRd said:

I can hold off for a few months for sure. Rates for PC components is getting really crazy right now.

I live in Gurgaon and will most likely buy from Nehru Place if that is cheaper than online.

Alternatively, I could even go the Intel NUC route which all things considered makes most sense. Will have to dispose off my Internals HDD or create a separate NAS out of the HDDs and run that in parallel to the NUC. Maybe this ?

Why going for older generation hardware? 

Also, with that limited I/O for close to ~30.000, yeah! I will suggest waiting.

48 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

Why going for older generation hardware? 

Also, with that limited I/O for close to ~30.000, yeah! I will suggest waiting.

Older generation coz the current is too expensive?

I guess, like you suggested.... will have to keep waiting for some time if I want to make ideal HTPC or call it quits and settle for the Nvidia Shield.

When i last made a 1080p capable HTPC, it wasn't this hard :(

I guess, like you suggested.... will have to keep waiting for some time if I want to make ideal HTPC or call it quits and settle for the Nvidia Shield.

When i last made a 1080p capable HTPC, it wasn't this hard [emoji20]
You can also go for Amazon Fire TV gen 3 pendant design route. It supports 4k and can stream everything. Nvidia Shield is more powerful though. It has Better processing power.

15 hours ago, djanuj said:
16 hours ago, L33TWiZaRd said:

When i last made a 1080p capable HTPC, it wasn't this hard emoji20.png

You can also go for Amazon Fire TV gen 3 pendant design route. It supports 4k and can stream everything. Nvidia Shield is more powerful though. It has Better processing power.

Can't since it doesn't play 4K MKV rips and has sketchy YouTube support  :fear1: