Which Internet Connection is everyone using ?

Xeno

25 minutes ago, StormShadow said:

Quick update : Spoke with Airtel guys. Said they can bridge the airtel router but i need to pay for static ip for it to be permanent else after ever restart they have to re-do all the settings. They also said i cannot do anything by myself. Only they can change the settings.

Cheers.

Not true. Bridging can be done without static IP. But I am not sure if there is any restriction from Airtel's end. They setup weird gateways.

I am using airtel its ok the router is sh*t.First i had the securom router which had problems with wifi apps like whatsapp did not load the messages so i asked them to switch it to huwaei but they did not have in stock so they switched it gx one which is stable but wifi speeds are very bad and ping spike in multiplayer games.

3 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Don't think that's true. I know people have bridged routers without paying a dime. 

3 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Not true. Bridging can be done without static IP. But I am not sure if there is any restriction from Airtel's end. They setup weird gateways.

Today another executive came home to bridge their router. All he did was change the connection type in airtel router to "bridge" from previous "router" mode and changed the WAN id password in my asus router settings. It did not do jacksh*t. Internet stopped working and he absolutely had no clue what else to do and said he will discuss with the team and return later. lol. He just wanted me to accept that it cannot happen and make do with their router. If this is the level of incompetence in a firm like airtel i can't imagine what other ISP customers must be going through.

Cheers.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, StormShadow said:

Today another executive came home to bridge their router. All he did was change the connection type in airtel router to "bridge" from previous "router" mode and changed the WAN id password in my asus router settings. It did not do jacksh*t. Internet stopped working and he absolutely had no clue what else to do and said he will discuss with the team and return later. lol. He just wanted me to accept that it cannot happen and make do with their router. If this is the level of incompetence in a firm like airtel i can't imagine what other ISP customers must be going through.

Cheers.

Try searching here: https://broadbandforum.co/forums/airtel-broadband/

Some users managed to bridge their routers successfully.

4 hours ago, Rey said:

Try searching here: https://broadbandforum.co/forums/airtel-broadband/

Some users managed to bridge their routers successfully.

Yes, have already gone through a few threads before, but haven't found anything concrete yet. Will be searching further in depth. Has a lot of information on airtel so might find something or the other useful.

Thanks.

Cheers.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:05 PM, StormShadow said:

Yes, have already gone through a few threads before, but haven't found anything concrete yet. Will be searching further in depth. Has a lot of information on airtel so might find something or the other useful.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Did you make any progress on this? I am looking to upgrade to a nicer router with wifi 6 and other bells and whistles. But before making the jump I want to know how much of a hassle the bridging process is going to be.

Edited by Nikushimi

The nokia routers won't bridge. The older huawei ones could. This is something that airtel is actively blocking for some reason.

You don't need to bridge to use your own router. Just use the airtel router as a gateway, turn off its wifi, and then connect it to the wan port of your own router.

I use my ubiquiti setup with ACT and airtel with ACT directly connected and Airtel connected via their nokia router.

53 minutes ago, Shantz said:

The nokia routers won't bridge. The older huawei ones could. This is something that airtel is actively blocking for some reason.

You don't need to bridge to use your own router. Just use the airtel router as a gateway, turn off its wifi, and then connect it to the wan port of your own router.

I use my ubiquiti setup with ACT and airtel with ACT directly connected and Airtel connected via their nokia router.

I do similar for Jio. No bridging allowed. So Orbi serves are AP, routing on Jio router. For some reason, speeds dip a bit on Orbi if used as a router vs AP. 

Jio is anyway so locked up that bypassing is a PITA. Thankfully GoodbyeDPI still allows some bypass. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 12:23 AM, Nikushimi said:

Did you make any progress on this? I am looking to upgrade to a nicer router with wifi 6 and other bells and whistles. But before making the jump I want to know how much of a hassle the bridging process is going to be.

Yes i got the router bridged the very next day. For people with  airtel connection the process is actually simple which i will lay down below, if any one needs it in future, but the problem is the ignorance/lack of knowledge/money skimming directive of the airtel executives. Their attitude might vary from location to location but i went through all types of executives to finally get the right solution. 

Here are the 'right' steps for latest airtel fiber connection:

- Get your connection setup with their router and test it for few days. Once you are sure the connection is stable call airtel and ask them to bridge any 1 port on your router.

- This is  done at the backend and there is absolutely no need for any executive to visit your place. 

- Only 1 port will be bridged i.e other ports become useless (not detected on lan).

- Once its done, airtel executive will call and inform you.

- Change mode from "router" to "bridge" in your airtel router settings. 

- Connect the bridged port to the WAN port of your main (self bought) router. Input the WAN log-in id & password (if you don't know, ask airtel executive) in your main router settings.

There is no need of changing any other settings or static ip. My airtel router shows "red" light i.e offline indication when in bridge mode. That's normal.

As for why you need bridge mode on your airtel router instead of connecting your main router via any other mode is because you would want to access all features of your main router and that can only happen when your main router is the primary router (afaik).

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How is Airtel black subscription? 

I currently have ACT and i pay 1650 for 350mbps connection.

I plan to switch to Airtel because i primarily use Airtel sim for my mobile , my mom uses a Airtel sim as well. 

So 2 Mobile connections + fibernet + dth (on trial basis if channels are worth it).

Will it save up if i buy Airtel black for all the above? Or act @1650 itself is better 

cos I've heard it'll cost me 1.8-2k per month for all the above Airtel services 

• 1 year later...

Time to bump this thread.

My local internet service is going down the drain. My current options are airtel wifi and jio fiber. I need a stable conenction for PSN/XBbox and Steam as well as Streaming services.

Whats the latest review on both services.

2 hours ago, Snake said:

Time to bump this thread.

My local internet service is going down the drain. My current options are airtel wifi and jio fiber. I need a stable conenction for PSN/XBbox and Steam as well as Streaming services.

Whats the latest review on both services.

Really depends on area to area. I've both, but getting gigabit on Airtel was a PITA - took a week with component replacements at multiple nodes. It refuses to work with my office VPN and Pingone system, had to use Jiofiber for it. Overall Airtel downtime is much less than Jiofiber, which quite often goes down for maintainence during midnight to 6-7 am. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird