The Old Cricket Thread

vinitwins

WC T20  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Exciting stuff this. People who discredit and curse IPL are just pseudo cricket intellectuals. I think this is the best start the IPL has had in 5 seasons. Underdogs doing well at the top, and battered teams now turning the tide.

THIS.

IPL is honestly one of the best thing that has happened to cricket....i think cricket should go football way...less International more club...

This should and probably will happen, the sooner the better. And please for God's sake let go of the auction system and switch to transfers. We need teams, not collections of players.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

IMO there is just way too much international cricket. How many tours nd matches have India played in past few months. It's just my opinion. Don't players need time to recuperate and refresh their minds and body? These small 10-15 day breaks in the middle of tours, is that okay? dunno. Feel other sports get decent amount of time for players to mentally recover.

Its certainly not highest level of cricket, its entertaining but not truly competitive. The players are driven by the moolah than the spirit which binds players in a national team.

Unlike club football, which actually creates stars while IPL plays the stars. And any batsman can be a star by playing a cameo, R Levi who was an unknown before that inning in NZ suddenly find many buyers. And biggest thing which I hate not just about IPL but T20 in general is the way bowlers are mothered. There is no place for them, they can be replaced by bowling machines as well.

Edited by Udham

IMO there is just way too much international cricket. How many tours nd matches have India played in past few months. It's just my opinion. Don't players need time to recuperate and refresh their minds and body? These small 10-15 day breaks in the middle of tours, is that okay? dunno. Feel other sports get decent amount of time for players to mentally recover.

honestly they get paid too much and in this competitive age injuries will happen but good thing is there are replacements. A t20 match gets over in 3 hrs, and all 11 are on field for 90 mins. So when they are paid 5 lacs for 2 hrs work there should be hardly any complaints. An average office goer works his a*s out 10 hrs a day and gets paid 30-40k a month. So cricketers should zip up and perform or make way for some one else. In the end they are doing a job and getting paid too big a money.

@udham: yup but bowlers can also perform if thy try, look at Dinda's 19th over today.

Auction system with a limited purse is good..

else it would be sh*t like EPL where the rich clubs buy all the players and the other clubs will in it for just the sake of it..

It wont be as competitive as this..

lol that is not true. anyway, they wil lstill have 4 firangi rules. Best thing would be make transfers as a rule and put a cap on spending powers.

Those who think that IPL is lesser competitive than international matches should have seen the face of DeVilliers in the final over when he failed to connect a length ball.

True sportsmen are always competitive, even when it may be just gully cricket. That is the beauty of sports.

honestly they get paid too much and in this competitive age injuries will happen but good thing is there are replacements. A t20 match gets over in 3 hrs, and all 11 are on field for 90 mins. So when they are paid 5 lacs for 2 hrs work there should be hardly any complaints. An average office goer works his a*s out 10 hrs a day and gets paid 30-40k a month. So cricketers should zip up and perform or make way for some one else. In the end they are doing a job and getting paid too big a money.

How do you get to decide it's too much? It's a simple case of demand and supply and even with the recent influx of money, cricket is far behind other sports. Take a similar bat and ball sport, say baseball — half the time they do f**k all sitting in the bull pen and contracts in the MLB are in a different league. The amount paid has got little to do with the exertions of the activity. Next thing you know you'll have board directors paid in M&Ms because all they do is sit on meetings in air conditioned halls. The fact is cricketers are a part of the cream on top and average office goers are, well, average.

The players are driven by the moolah than the spirit which binds players in a national team. Unlike club football, which actually creates stars while IPL plays the stars.

It's not about the money alone. Are you suggesting cricketers in the national team are not motivated by money? What about the competition for the retainer contracts?

IPL has created plenty of stars. sh*t like Gony, Tiwari etc. played for India only because they performed in IPL and the latter is raking in the moolah thanks to that. Performing in the IPL is the way to get fast-tracked into the national team so much so that the value of the Indian cap has been undermined. Just the other day you were ranting about seniors keeping out Rahane. I am sure his IPL performance had something to do with that statement of yours. wink.gif

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Bob. It's failure of national system that players like rehane need to play in IPL and prove their worth to be considered for national slot. IPL is for us, viewers, not for selectors.

And it can destroy the players too, you fail to make that cameo, you are done cuz owners would have already found a R Levi somewhere.

Exciting stuff this. People who discredit and curse IPL are just pseudo cricket intellectuals. I think this is the best start the IPL has had in 5 seasons. Underdogs doing well at the top, and battered teams now turning the tide.

True.I am starting to enjoy IPL.Though I still dont like the 4 foreigners.Make it 6.Or dont even set a limit.Would be more fun.

True.I am starting to enjoy IPL.Though I still dont like the 4 foreigners.Make it 6.Or dont even set a limit.Would be more fun.

naa. it wont be good. the offsetting the cap i mean. there are only 9 teams, all can be easily filled by an 11 of full internationals

Err no. That way the local unheard of players Will get much lesser chance. Not good at all.

Local players do get a chance in Ranji and other tourneys ..

Why the heck put those undernourished players in IPL .

IPL is atlast all about money .. I am pretty sure team owners will be happy if the limit cap on international players is increased atleast to 6 if not 11

Ya and IPL is so funny...we are celebratiog our own bowler being battered...fun days.

IPL is honestly one of the best thing that has happened to cricket....i think cricket should go football way...less International more club...

I teh support you :cheers:

It's million times better to watch an IPL match than watching our players get f**ked on foreign soil ..

I am pretty sure my blood pressure is lowest in whole year during IPL days :P

Edited by Zeehunter

lol that is not true. anyway, they wil lstill have 4 firangi rules. Best thing would be make transfers as a rule and put a cap on spending powers.

If that's not TRUE then how come all the teams owned by rich company/people have awesome players while the other teams have all unknown players

I think KXIP will win today. Dmitri & Harmeeet will destroy KKR...

From what the table looks like and team performances. I think DD,RR & PWI will make their way to the top 3 and rest 4 teams (MI,KXIP,KKR,CSK) will fight for the remaining spot.

• AtheK changed the title to The Old Cricket Thread
  • AtheK locked this topic