RUMOR:$400 40GB PS3 with Spidey 3 Blu-ray pack-in

KnackChap

Our mole has a great track record: both the Xbox 360 HDMI story and the wired Xbox 360 Rock Band controllers have since been confirmed. Whoever our friendly inside source is, he's got some great contacts. Now he's ready to tell us what Sony's console pricing plans may soon look like. Here's how Sony's platform pricing will shape up by the holiday shopping season:

* 80GB PlayStation 3: $499.99

* 40GB PlayStation 3: $399.99

* Spider-Man 3 Blu-ray movie pack in with one, or both

* PlayStation 2: $99.99

The 80GB price drop isn't that shocking, but a new $400 40GB system would be huge news. Would people be willing to part with 40GB to save $100? I think so, and having a $400 PlayStation 3 option would be a great weapon this holiday season. If they get to show off the Blu-ray capabilities of the system with Spider-Man 3 bundled? That's a nice package.

The $99.99 PlayStation 2 would ensure that the venerable system will continue to sell well. This is rumor for now, but when Sony makes some announcements at the Tokyo Game Show, I would not be shocked if these were among them. You heard it here first.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars...ys-future-plans

having already invested in a nextgen console at launch (+5months) , i still think it's better to wait a while before jumping on the ps3 bandwagon - the holiday season will see many interesting bundles being offered, and sony still needs to entice gamers with more AAA exclusives (HS & resistance are the only system sellers so far)

V

having already invested in a nextgen console at launch (+5months) , i still think it's better to wait a while before jumping on the ps3 bandwagon - the holiday season will see many interesting bundles being offered, and sony still needs to entice gamers with more AAA exclusives (HS & resistance are the only system sellers so far)

V

i can completely agree with ur comment. i got the ps3, because i launched 2 days before my birthday, so i thought, i had a good reason to treat myself. but for me, all my mates have a ps3 and so it was a good way to keep in touch, but if u haven't got a ps3 yet..... wait until or after the Christmas. there are few good games out, but the hardware is becoming much more cheaper.

EMS Now, a site dedicated to monitoring the global electronic manufacturing industry, posted a piece regarding the news that Hon Hai will begin to manufacture PS3s. The site, admittedly, is boring to read much of the time, but, if you pay close attention to the facts mentioned in their stories, occasionally you'll find little nuggets of information such as the one below:

Insiders in the sector said that Sony has cut the selling price of PS3 consoles, and, at the mean time, planned to launch low-price models, with ASUSTeK Computer Inc. and Hon Hai Precision to supply the models.

The rumor originated when a "reliable source" mentioned Sony's changing up their Playstation offerings for the Holiday Season like so:

* $499.99 for the 80GB Playstation 3, currently $599.99

* $399.99 for the 40GB Playstation 3, currently nonexistent

* Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray included with at least one of the PS3 packages

* $99.99 for the Playstation 2, currently $129.99

$399.99 for a fully functional Blu-ray player and next-gen high def gaming console? Not bad, not bad at all… if true.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2007/09/15/more-ev...-playstation-3/

Actually, removing card reader won't save much cost for them. The most expensive part of PS3 is the damn blu-ray drive, even more so than the CELL chip and RSX. So until they come up with a process to cheaply manufacture the blu-ray diode, they'll continue to struggle to cut corners in cost. A $99 PS2 is more lucrative offer to an average gamer and will directly compete with Wii market.

Actually, removing card reader won't save much cost for them. The most expensive part of PS3 is the damn blu-ray drive, even more so than the CELL chip and RSX. So until they come up with a process to cheaply manufacture the blu-ray diode, they'll continue to struggle to cut corners in cost. A $99 PS2 is more lucrative offer to an average gamer and will directly compete with Wii market.

actually i dont know if im right but from what i know,sony isnt losing as much on each console as some of u are expecting

1)the new consoles dont have the emotion engine chip which costs around 25$ less,also if they remove backwards compatibility completely(even via software),then thry'll remove the graphics synthesizer again saves them 10-15$

2) bluray diode prices have fallen,it was over 150$ at launch its around 20-25 $ now.

3) the new 40GB is also rumored to have wifi,sh*t if nintendo DS can hae wifi then it must be cheap :D,dunno about card readers

Archived