Gaming PCs

AtheK

Guys, planning to upgrade my PC by the year end (mainly gfx card , RAM & power supply)

Here's what I'm planning to get (local prices):

1. Sapphire R9 280 OC D5 3GB Dual X - $215

2. Corsair CS550M - $123

3. Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4GB) RAM - $148

Want to keep my existing HDD/mobo /cabinet and CPU:

2.67 gigahertz Intel Core i5 750

Intel DH55TC mobo

Cooler Master mid tower cabinet

Seagate 500 GB HDD

Please let me know

1. If the above mentioned upgrades will work with my existing Cabinet/CPU & mobo ? Do I need any extra coolers and stuff ? I dont oc generally !

2. If this upgrade good enough for the next 3-4 years ?

1.Yes.It will work without any hassles

2.Nope.Unless you are ok with reduced graphical goodness.R9 280X is considered baseline for running modern PC games at good settings at 1080p

3.Swap that PSU for a Seasonic M12II 520w PSU

1. Sapphire R9 280 OC D5 3GB Dual X - $215

2. Corsair CS550M - $123
3. Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4GB) RAM - $148

That SMPS, swap it for a Corsair TX series or a Seasonic M12II class SMPS.

1. If the above mentioned upgrades will work with my existing Cabinet/CPU & mobo ? Do I need any extra coolers and stuff ? I dont oc generally !

2. If this upgrade good enough for the next 3-4 years ?

Answers, sequentially,

1. Depends on the cabinet, you have. Its dimensions and its capacity, can I have an image / model number for reference. You will not need an after market cooler unless you think the stock is doing poorly or is an acoustical devil.
  2. No, your processor has reached its limits and will be a nagging tooth in the entire set-up.

Also, if I were you, I would hold off on purchasing any cards till nVidia and AMD play their hands Q1 2015.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Edited by ALPHA17

That SMPS, swap it for a Corsair TX series or a Seasonic M12II class SMPS.

Answers, sequentially,

1. Depends on the cabinet, you have. Its dimensions and its capacity, can I have an image / model number for reference. You will not need an after market cooler unless you think the stock is doing poorly or is an acoustical devil.
  2. No, your processor has reached its limits and will be a nagging tooth in the entire set-up.

Also, if I were you, I would hold off on purchasing any cards till nVidia and AMD play their hands Q1 2015.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

1.Yes.It will work without any hassles

2.Nope.Unless you are ok with reduced graphical goodness.R9 280X is considered baseline for running modern PC games at good settings at 1080p

3.Swap that PSU for a Seasonic M12II 520w PSU

Thanks for the comments guys. The thing is, I dont want to spend too much right now, since we are just in the beginning of this gen. Maybe sometime after 2-3 years, I'll go in for a major upgrade (process/mobo etc). Need some temp solution until then .... currently i've 4GB RAM and AMD 5850 1GB card, which pretty much can't play most of the current gen games beyond low/med ....

BTW, is 520w power unit good enough considering i might go in for a better processor/mobo/gfx card , some 2-3 years down the line, currently i've a corsair vx450 power unit .... will this suffice ?

Also, if R9 280x is not good enough, which is the better card in similar price range ?

Thanks for the comments guys. The thing is, I dont want to spend too much right now, since we are just in the beginning of this gen. Maybe sometime after 2-3 years, I'll go in for a major upgrade (process/mobo etc). Need some temp solution until then .... currently i've 4GB RAM and AMD 5850 1GB card, which pretty much can't play most of the current gen games beyond low/med ....

BTW, is 520w power unit good enough considering i might go in for a better processor/mobo/gfx card , some 2-3 years down the line, currently i've a corsair vx450 power unit .... will this suffice ?

Also, if R9 280x is not good enough, which is the better card in similar price range ?

It should be sufficient assuming you dont go all xxxPr0Sw4gxxx and overclock CPU and GPU till they melt

Also CPU & GPU power consumption is only going to go down in future

If you still want a bigger PSU get Seasonic M12ii 620w PSU it costs Rs.6900

Also 450w won't be enough for a r9 280X

As for GPU you can go with R9 280x if you have khujli im your wallet :P It can still get 60 fps 1080p on med-high but dont expect to max every game

Or you can wait till Jan-Feb for GTX 960 which will have better performance and lower power consumption compared to r9 280x at nearly the same price

Or you can buy the certified Master Race card GTX 970.It is the best card there is currently considering price to performance ratio.The Asus variant costs 29k

Also add another 4gb stick of RAM

Edited by TechBaba

Yes, more than enough considering the TDP of components is on a downward trend due to smaller and more efficient silicon being pushed out.

Even if you over-clock the set-up then, you should do fine.

Wait till GTX960 releases, at max it will tie with the performance of the R9-280X, at worst, it will perform slightly worse. It shall definitely disrupt the pricing strategy either way. So WIN-WIN for you.

Or you can wait till Jan-Feb for GTX 960 which will have better performance and lower power consumption compared to r9 280x at nearly the same price

It is not a given and I waiting is the best you can do.

Or you can buy the certified Master Race card GTX 970.It is the best card there is currently considering price to performance ratio.The Asus variant costs 29k

The GTX970 is good but Ne0 is in Korea and I have no idea whether it would be in his budget or no but fact stands that his old i5 will not be able to get the maximum out of it.

:ko::ko:

Yes, more than enough considering the TDP of components is on a downward trend due to smaller and more efficient silicon being pushed out.

Wait till GTX960 releases, at max it will tie with the performance of the R9-280X, at worst, it will perform slightly worse. It shall definitely disrupt the pricing strategy either way. So WIN-WIN for you.

The GTX970 is good but Ne0 is in Korea and I have no idea whether it would be in his budget or no but fact stands that his old i5 will not be able to get the maximum out of it.

his i5 is dual core? Or is it 2.5 Ghz or something

Intel website somehow lists all i5's as having 4 cores 4 threads :ko:

his i5 is dual core? Or is it 2.5 Ghz or something

Intel website somehow lists all i5's as having 4 cores 4 threads :ko:

He has a Core i5 750, a first generation piece.

^^ i5 is quad core

Yeah!

It should be sufficient assuming you dont go all xxxPr0Sw4gxxx and overclock CPU and GPU till they melt

Also CPU & GPU power consumption is only going to go down in future

If you still want a bigger PSU get Seasonic M12ii 620w PSU it costs Rs.6900

Also 450w won't be enough for a r9 280X

As for GPU you can go with R9 280x if you have khujli im your wallet :P It can still get 60 fps 1080p on med-high but dont expect to max every game

Also add another 4gb stick of RAM

Hmmm, so wait for another 2-3 months ? hmmm ok :good:

Edited by Ne0

Yup w8 till Jan Feb

Witcher 3 req will be also out by then so u can get an idea what games like witcher demand in terms of CPU and GPU and sath hi sath amd might reveal r9 3xx series (as per rumors) and even gtx 960 shld be revealed by then

Edited by harjas

Corsair 400R - 5550

Corsair Obsidian 450D - 8500 ( I like this case but does the extra 3k make sense ? Are there any issues )

Depends on your usage. Do you plan to mount multiple radiators in your chassis? If yes, the latter makes sense, if no, no harm going with the Carbide 400R.

R9 280 - 18.5k

R9 285 - 20.5k

R9 290 - 26.5k

Don't you already have one R9-280X?

Why do you want to swap that out so soon?

^^ No man. I have Radeon 6790 that is giving me issues. Are the prices fair ?

No plan to use anything more than fans. Just want a case that roomy and has good thermals.

W8 till Jan Feb for and 3xx series or gtx 960

^^ No man. I have Radeon 6790 that is giving me issues. Are the prices fair ?

Can you hold out till February next year then.

Also, does your card fall under warranty or no?

I have heard of 6970's, the 6790 is a new one to me.

^^No plan to use anything more than fans. Just want a case that roomy and has good thermals.

Go for the Carbide 400R then.

The 6790 were probably rebinned 68xx series that were better than the 6750. This card was launched way after the initial launch. The card is more than 3 years old. Most likely no more warranty.

What do you guys think about the R9 290 price ? Is it a fair price ? I believe it was the price for an ASUS 4GB version.

EDIT: Nevermind. I think I will wait for the new card launch. Hopefully the power and noise have significant improvements for the AMD cards.

Edited by alphabeta

The 6790 were probably rebinned 68xx series that were better than the 6750. This card was launched way after the initial launch. The card is more than 3 years old. Most likely no more warranty.

Yes, now I recall it. Was an intermediate solution till the newer cards were released.

What brand and do you have the S/N handy. Just check it online if possible.

What do you guys think about the R9 290 price ? Is it a fair price ? I believe it was the price for an ASUS 4GB version.

EDIT: Nevermind. I think I will wait for the new card launch. Hopefully the power and noise have significant improvements for the AMD cards.

The price is fair although the assessment you made for your situation is right. Better to hold out then purchase anything now on the eve of new launches. Cheers!

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue.. From the time I got my PC: amd X4 with a MSI mobo I

was getting bsod frequently also for some reason flash player used to crash as well.. I replaced ram and HDD recently thinking that was the issue. But the actual reason turned out to be avast antivirus.. During my latest install I forgot to avast antivirus and haven't got a single bsod. What do I do now?any pointers or insights on this issue?