Gaming PCs

AtheK

now I gotta buy a new GPU. want something that is mid range and is in the 15k range.

resolution is 1080p. rest of the specs are I5-2400 and 4GB of ram soon to be 8GB.

If you want to keep things rolling calmly with the next generation consoles releasing I would suggest that you go for a GTX760 2GB (MSi's excellent OC edition) or an AMD R9-280X once they reach India.

Here are the numbers for the two in-case you are interested.

Anything lesser would be a compromise in my opinion.

Where will you purchase the card from?

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Edited by ALPHA17

The problem is that I can't drop more than 15k on a GPU. finances are really tight at this time. guess no BF4, CoD or Batman for me.

Keep Calm and Persevere instead of getting a cheap GPU, I implore you. Right now things will look tidy but later it will come around with a round-house.

If you still want to go ahead with a purchase right now I suggest the following (in order of purchase),

All numbers relative from GTX760's performance (high-point).

If you want to keep things rolling calmly with the next generation consoles releasing I would suggest that you go for a GTX760 2GB (MSi's excellent OC edition) or an AMD R9-280X once they reach India.

When are the new cards gonna reach India and at what price?

When are the new cards gonna reach India and at what price?

The AMD R9 series cards should hit Indian shores around mid-November, pegged at ~25000/- and thereabouts.

The nVidia GTX760 is already available, pricing is between ~18000/- (local on-street) -->22500/- (e-retail).

Edited by ALPHA17

@alpha: saw 2 MSI 760's, different prices. guess it's for the custom cooler.

Yes, go for the one which the MSi has decked out in the custom cooler (called OC edition) and has a dragon motif on its box.

Swell piece of hardware that, over-clocks well, runs cool and overall worth its cost completely.

Should i get a single stick of Corsair Vengeance 8GB or an 8GB kit(4GBx2)? what are the advantages of dual channel memory vs single channel?

Also i plan on having a Corsair Neutron GTS 128 GB SSD and WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD in my config,should i get a Seagate HDD or a Caviar Green instead of Caviar Black to save some moneys? i know caviar green and seagate HDD's have high failure rates,so is it worth taking the risk.Not mentioned Caviar Blue because its OOS everywhere

^^ ohh I read this one on tomshardware so one advantage is say one of your ram sticks go dead you'll still be able to boot :P

Performance is same IMO (almost)

Black hdds are for performance applications like photoshop or video encoding or gaming

Greens for basic archiving

Let the master answer to this too. My answers are too generic ;)

Edited by kunallkw

Should i get a single stick of Corsair Vengeance 8GB or an 8GB kit(4GBx2)? what are the advantages of dual channel memory vs single channel?

Also i plan on having a Corsair Neutron GTS 128 GB SSD and WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD in my config,should i get a Seagate HDD or a Caviar Green instead of Caviar Black to save some moneys? i know caviar green and seagate HDD's have high failure rates,so is it worth taking the risk.Not mentioned Caviar Blue because its OOS everywhere

Go for dual-sticks as far as possible, it adds to the redundancy of the system and for applications that do scale in performance via improved bandwidth thanks to multi-channel architecture wins.

Go for SAMSUNG 840 Pro series SSD's @onlyssd.com. You can also look at Crucial's line-up of SSD's, anything over the M4 is game.

Also, I would suggest Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 or Western Digital Blue Edition drives over any other. Purchase them locally if you have to but don't fall for the Western Digital Black Edition as in real life they offer no performance advantage and demand a premium.

Green Edition drives of both brands are dismal if you want to keep them spooled up and running long hours. They are best used as a back-up system / data dump / your pirate stash.

^^ Following,

• Corsair Carbide 400R
  • Cooler Master STORM Scout N2
  • Corsair Graphite 600T
  • Cooler Master STORM Sniper (Mesh and Side-panel available)
  • Corsair Vengeance C70

^^ Following,

• Corsair Carbide 400R
  • Cooler Master STORM Scout N2
  • Corsair Graphite 600T
  • Cooler Master STORM Sniper (Mesh and Side-panel available)
  • Corsair Vengeance C70

how about the Corsair Obsidian 650D?

it is listed for Rs.11.6k on theitwares.com

Edited by commandershawnzer

how about the Corsair Obsidian 650D?

It is more oriented towards closed-loop liquid cooling amateurs and beginners or those on a budget.

Its air-cooling performance is pretty average, so I don't see any point recommending it. The silver lining is a fan-controller integrated into the case.

For more on the same, read the following reviews,

@Alpha, whats the word on the Zotac Cards.

The MSI one on FK went outta stock and is now undeliverable to my location.

I'm seeing two 760s from MSI on FK :

http://www.flipkart.com/msi-nvidia-n760-2gd5-oc-geforce-gtx-760-2-gb-gddr5-graphics-card/p/itmdzzb6dh2augqd?pid=GRCDZZB3ZCT5GYKH&otracker=from-search&srno=t_5&query=gtx+760&ref=efa62a3e-9db8-4bcf-9436-072c4aead07c

http://www.flipkart.com/msi-nvidia-n760-2gd5-oc-2-gb-gddr5-graphics-card/p/itmdpm9qt2bqa8qk?pid=GRCDMKNFXUAPYSUM&otracker=from-search&srno=t_1&query=gtx+760&ref=efa62a3e-9db8-4bcf-9436-072c4aead07c

These the cards you talking about?

(I have a Standard Chartered card, in case you wanna try for that 15% discount)