PC Hardware Thread

ALPHA17

Nvidia GM200 Maxwell Flagship Landing This Year, New Kepler GK210 Core Inbound- Claims Research Paper

Today has been a pretty interesting day. We had some major, consecutive updates on the graphics front and even hints of a major surprise from Nvidia. However, folks over at 3d Center (Via Videocardz) have managed to find a research paper that reveals some very interesting things. One of which is that there is a GK 210 core that has yet to be released by Nvidia

GM200 Delivers 25 Flops Per Watt, GK 210 Core Appears to be Inbound – Research Paper by Nvidia Employee
The GK110 has efficiency of 12 Flops per Watt, the GK210, 14 Flops per Watt, The GM200, 25 Flops per Watt and the GP100 35, Flops per Watt. The GP100 depicts the Pascal core and is queued for early 2016. The GM204 core is already out and Nvidia has released the Quadro lineup. Lastly, I would tell you that I am pretty sure the GK210 wont be making it into

Edited by SRINI87

DirectX 12 reduces power consumption by 50%, boosts fps by 60% in new tech demo

Intel’s DirectX 12 demo setup consists of a Surface Pro 3 tablet and a custom-made benchmarking program. The program draws 50,000 asteroids on the screen, each with a unique combination of vertices, textures, and constants. A graph in the bottom right corner of the window shows the current power consumption of both the CPU and GPU. The program can switch between DirectX 12 and 11 with the click of a button. If you were wondering why Intel is running the demo instead of Microsoft: The original Surface Pro 3, with a Core i5 chip, has Intel HD4400 graphics.
The benchmark in “unlocked” mode, you can see how switching between DirectX 11 and 12 affects the frame rate. DX11 manages 19 fps, while DX12 is more than 60% faster at 33 fps — at the same power consumption

Src: Extremetech Via Neogaf

:good:

^ It cannot be that only nVidia would go around with this news then.

20nm node is a solid marketing point and it would mean something is going on behind the scenes.

Also, if the leaked numbers are from 20nm based GPU's. Then apart from the efficiency gain, you lose on every other ground.

^ It cannot be that only nVidia would go around with this news then.

20nm node is a solid marketing point and it would mean something is going on behind the scenes.

Also, if the leaked numbers are from 20nm based GPU's. Then apart from the efficiency gain, you lose on every other ground.

Thats the problem there is nothing to suggest that a 20 nm maxwell might be around the corner,the leaked nos. Are even more confusing with such low shader count,its difficult to believe it can be 20 nm finfet based.

In any case picture might be clearer by end of september.

If this really does out perform 760 by 10-15% across the board at 250$ then nvidia will have to drop down to the 200$ range with that card. Between that and the 8 series I think Dec would be a perfect time for me to upgrade.