Microsoft hiring 'next generation' Xbox developers

I'm sorry but 9 out of 10 current gen sequels are worse than their PS2/Xbox prequels, and I don't even need to bring metacritic to support that statement. Which brings us back to same old argument, looking good has nothing to do with being good.

I said that particularly for SF. While I agree many games didn't get better sequels by large margin this generation but they did come with some extra offerings than the last generation. Halo 3 had 4p online co-op against 2p local in Halo 2, very significant improvement...

@PS: no dude, he is making babies with Pooja Bhatt. :wub:

That has nothing to do with how old the hardware is. Look at the games that were successful in 2006 - R6 Vegas, Gears of War 2, Motorstorm, Resistance. They all got sequels in 2008.

And the cycle is repeating again with minor to no changes. Once a gen is ok. Twice is pushing it. And you are advocating that we keep doing this dance for another 3-4 years?? I mean 2008-2010, 2009-2011. Then we go to 2010-2012 when 2010 itself was a copy of a copy? And this is fine?

The reason we have so many sequels is because no one is buying new IP - Crackdown, Mirror's Edge, Enslaved off the top of my head. New IP are risky business, more so because development costs are high. Look at the number of good studios that have been shut down this gen. In such a scenario, making sequels to games that have worked is the safest thing to do. Those costs are now coming down, and if a new wave of consoles comes, costs are going to go right back up and we're going to have more devs shutting shop and even more sequels because no one is going to take risks.

That is such a mix of generalizations I dont even know where to start.

We get sequels not because people arent buying new IPs but because the first game of the new IP was successful enough or had enough potential to bankroll a sequel. There is a reason why Uncharted, Gears, Batman, Dead Space, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Assassins creed etc have gotten sequels and Enslaved, Mirrors Edge, Lair, Haze, Heavenly sword etc have not. All of them are new IPs made this gen. You cant just generalize that people arent buying new IPs when there have been just as many new IPs made this gen as any other gen before. Probably more.

A better way to put it is that people arent buying average to below average new IPs this gen. And is that really any different from any other game, sequel or new IP?

Just look at the awesome games that came out on the PS2 just before the PS3 came out. That alone is reason enough to delay the next gen as long as possible.

Again I dont get this. I understand wanting things safe and not moving but surely there must be a point at which you think its time to restart?

Again I dont get this. I understand wanting things safe and not moving but surely there must be a point at which you think its time to restart?

You can design a good game irrespective of hardware is what he's saying, so there's no harm in delaying new hardware if you can have something like LA Noire or Last Guardian come out.

Remember that the PS2's best games came at the end of its cycle :|

Edit: Scratch that. The PS2's cycle never ended :lol:

A better way to put it is that people arent buying average to below average new IPs this gen. And is that really any different from any other game, sequel or new IP?

That is certainly not true. Titles like Vanquish, Blazblue, WEWY, Resonance of Fate, Valkyria Chronicles, Blur, Alan Wake etc. have been exceptionally good games and most of them received high ratings from the critics. Still their sales were too low compared to sequels of the same genres.

There are a few exceptions like Assassin's Creed, Gears, Mass Effect etc., but for the most part new IPs have suffered in sales regardless of how good they were.

You can design a good game irrespective of hardware is what he's saying, so there's no harm in delaying new hardware if you can have something like LA Noire or Last Guardian come out.

Remember that the PS2's best games came at the end of its cycle :|

By the same logic then we really had no need of new hardware last gen either. PS2 had a stellar last year so why release a PS3 and abandon the PS2? Just stick with it and keep making more games for it.

That is certainly not true. Titles like Vanquish, Blazblue, WEWY, Resonance of Fate, Valkyria Chronicles, Blur, Alan Wake etc. have been exceptionally good games and most of them received high ratings from the critics. Still their sales were too low compared to sequels of the same genres.

There are a few exceptions like Assassin's Creed, Gears, Mass Effect etc., but for the most part new IPs have suffered in sales regardless of how good they were.

They arent the exceptions. They are the rule. Just off the top of my head, new IPS this gen that have had sequels. Or rather successful sequels -

Uncharted

Gears

Batman

Dead Space

Mass Effect

Bioshock

Assassins creed

Motorstorm

Resistance

Dragon Age

Skate

Crackdown

Saints Row

Portal

Left 4 Dead

Crysis

Witcher

And I guarantee you I have missed a whole bunch.

Problem is the titles you have named would never have been major sellers even under ideal conditions. Niche games the lot of them.

By the same logic then we really had no need of new hardware last gen either. PS2 had a stellar last year so why release a PS3 and abandon the PS2? Just stick with it and keep making more games for it.

The leap from the PS2 to the PS3 was quite significant. Standard online connectivity, friends lists, motion control, HDD storage, downloadable games, DLC, new media formats, HD graphics, etc etc.

You won't see a similar leap from this gen to the next: aside from hi-res textures. You can still make engaging experiences on the current consoles until the time is right for a shift.

So it took a shot at Mirror's Edge to get Sam to troll? :lol:

As for the 'New IP' thingie, obviously it's easier to finance a profitable IP and make minor changes to the sequel. At least it's more or less assured to be a hit. The cost of game production is very high anyways. And strings of sequels are not new - it's been there for a long time. The old school adventure games ran into multiple sequences - all of them.

The leap from the PS2 to the PS3 was quite significant. Standard online connectivity, friends lists, motion control, HDD storage, downloadable games, DLC, new media formats, HD graphics, etc etc.

You won't see a similar leap from this gen to the next: aside from hi-res textures. You can still make engaging experiences on the current consoles until the time is right for a shift.

But surely you are undermining your own point when you say that. If the PS2 had such a phenomenal last year without all of those things then they arent really necessary in any way. Infact that is more evident when you realize that the biggest selling console of this gen has -

EXTREMELY basic online set up

No HDD storage

No new media formats

No HD graphics

And to that add the fact that a last gen console already had -

A built in HDD

DLC and an online way to buy them

Standard online component with friends list

So the only thing new that was brought in by the PS360 was better graphics. Pretty much the same thing that will be brought by the next gen. So again, by that logic this gen itself was unnecessary wasnt it?

Yeah agree with Afty but are the HD platform holders and developers ready to embrace new consoles so soon? I don't think so. Both of them have suffered huge losses at the start of this gen, and the PS3 and 360 do much more than just play games, they are a way to expand the business into other areas for MS and Sony. The consoles need to hit mass market price point first, leading to more hw and sw sales, once they are satisfied then only they will announce new consoles.

Devs just have to innovate in the gameplay department, once the install base of both the consoles are huge, even small games like Mirrors Edge will bring them money.

The Wii was successful because it brought in motion gaming.

For the rest, the main reason for moving on from the PS2 to the PS3/360 were the HD graphics and PSN/XBL. Thats much more than just better graphics.

But surely you are undermining your own point when you say that. If the PS2 had such a phenomenal last year without all of those things then they arent really necessary in any way. Infact that is more evident when you realize that the biggest selling console of this gen has -

EXTREMELY basic online set up

No HDD storage

No new media formats

No HD graphics

And to that add the fact that a last gen console already had -

A built in HDD

DLC and an online way to buy them

Standard online component with friends list

So the only thing new that was brought in by the PS360 was better graphics. Pretty much the same thing that will be brought by the next gen. So again, by that logic this gen itself was unnecessary wasnt it?

But the Wii isn't a current gen console!

/RUNS :rofl:

Only the Xbox had those features last gen. And lets face it, not many dudes bought the Xbox. The ONLY reason the 360 launched first was because MS wanted first mover advantage, not because they couldn't stretch the gen. They wanted a fresh start.

Playstation 2 was also for around 6-7 years...going by that also this gen can go on for another 2 years atleast.....and this gen has lot of potential still left- move,kinect has just hit the markets...we will be seeing lot of games for them in near future...on top of that so many great games coming out...

look at this way ...price for this gen console has not even come down to the level that lower-medium class people in poor countries can afford where as ps2 and all had hit that level in just few years after launch....this gen console has hardly sold half of its full potential.....on top of that recession was going on for over more than a year....during ps2 time nothing like that happen....this gen console is not going anywhere so soon...infact imo would say its in the middle of its cycle .....

Sam is in trolling mood because he doesn't have the balls to except that he can't f**king play a fighting game. let alone respect the amount of time and hard work that goes in mastering it :lol:

and on the context of girls playing SF, for all the things that you say, can't you even realize that fist fighting is not really a girls thing :doh:

on topic, afty still has no point to make so he will just try to prove other wrong :thumbdown:

next gen will be on pc for me. No more overpriced sequels. Happy with PC :rolleyes: I don't think next gen will come for another 2 years atleast. Motion control / 3D has just kicked in , the companies need to milk it and recover their R&D expenses.

Archived