Rage

rad2689

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

^^There is a difference between having a passable story and having a bad/no story. At the end of the day you still need an excuse to go from point A to point B. It might not make for a "compelling" story but it does compel you to keep playing.

Otherwise whats the point? You might as well play UT MP with bots.

Looking for story in any FPS and 90% of the games out there will make you skip games. You think Batman AC will have a compelling story? Batman AA had a fairly simple story, I stopped caring about story after 50% of the game. Same thing will happen to AC. It will be an awesome game, much better than Rage, but story will be underwhelming.

i'm not looking for charles dickens over here. All i want is for something to make me care enough that at the end of my 12(+-) hrs of playthrough i dont feel like i wasted a chunk of my time i could have utilized in other ways.

The best video game experience i ever had? Bioshock. Did not re-invent either the wheel or fps, but i still remember every moment from that game.

If you stop asking for a "compelling", "brilliant" story, they might stop trying to give it to you.

Man the gunplay in this game is so satisfying and incredibly well done. That shitty Doom 3 shotgun is completely redeemed in Rage, even your default pistol has so much punch. Can't wait to get my hands on Hagar's sniper rifle :D

i'm not looking for charles dickens over here. All i want is for something to make me care enough that at the end of my 12(+-) hrs of playthrough i dont feel like i wasted a chunk of my time i could have utilized in other ways.

the GAMEPLAY is what keeps you entertained for those 12 hours. because, you know, it's a GAME? otherwise you might as well go and read charles dickens, and do let me know if that can somehow provide you the satisfaction of whipping out a double barreled shotgun and blasting the head clean off the fool who thought he could rush in and kill you.

every studio has it's speciality. irrational games (the creators of bioshock) could not make an oldschool shooter as much fun to play as id software have. id software do not have the storytelling that irrational has. take it at face value and the game becomes a lot more enjoyable.

for the record, yes it has a story and no it doesn't stand up to close scrutiny. it's hard to say how much that matters when you have a BFG in your hands.

Spin

So its working smoothly on your pc after the patch update?

it was smooth (after tweaking) before the patch. after the patch hit the game started crashing for me. now i'm playing it in another os partition, which is basically the same as a fresh install. IQ is noticeably, but not significantly, lower but i don't have the patience or inclination to go back and tweak it again. will finish the game and uninstall it.

BFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

The best video game experience i ever had? Bioshock. Did not re-invent either the wheel or fps, but i still remember every moment from that game.

That was a great game. Many liked it, and many will like it over Rage. As spin said, you dont care for story if you have a BFG in your hand.

And for the record, I hated Bioshock, the hacking was way too addictive to kill the experience for me.

And HOLY SH*T I had a sealed copy of Rage in my hand at 10% discount but couldn't buy it as I already ordered from intencity and they dont have the stocks yet :doh:

I went there to pick up ICO which was already out of stock (I buy Milestone games from there as they give 10% discount :bigyellowgrin: )

Played for a couple of hours. Graphics are very inconsistent. Some of the outside vistas are jaw dropping good. But then you move inside and some of the textures up close look like N64 level textures.

finished it. seriously awesome game. leaving aside the technical issues and inconsistent graphics, it is a fantastic experience. the only real flaw that the game itself has is that almost half the levels are reused in side missions, and once in a main story mission. for a game that took so long to make, that really should not have happened. the ending was crap too... it just kind of ended mid level. it's like they ran out of time and just wrapped up without even completing the level. the game's only real boss fight comes less than half way in.

still, amazing fun to play. the latter levels look gorgeous and all of them are very well designed. not worth full price like i said earlier, but at the same time it's not a game to be missed.

So the game has technical issues, inconsistent graphics, reused levels, crap ending and 1 boss fight?

And from what I hear the story isn't all too great either.

Also, is this a linear or open world game? Because reused levels in a linear game is a f**king sin.

So the game has technical issues, inconsistent graphics, reused levels, crap ending and 1 boss fight?

And from what I hear the story isn't all too great either.

Also, is this a linear or open world game? Because reused levels in a linear game is a f**king sin.

sounds so bad when you put it like that :lol:. the technical issues are on the pc, half because of poor drivers and half because the game is supposed to autodetect your hardware and adjust accordingly. that autodetection wasn't working on release. both these issues will be fixed in time (remember it only released on friday), and the consoles don't have the problem. the graphics are inconsistent yes, there are times it will look jaw dropping and then there are times you will wonder how a 2011 game can look this bad. that's the one thing you have to live with. reused levels are horseshit but it's like this... you will play through the level once as a part of your main story, and then when it's over, you will be able to take an optional side quest to go back to that level to retrieve some item or something. it's not really required and i didn't even bother doing them near the end. the levels themselves are masterfully designed though, both from an artistic perspective and pure level design. there isn't a single level in the game where you will come out at the end bored. and lastly, when i said one boss fight, i was referring to the boss who is as tall as a 5 storey building. there are mini bosses to fight along the way, and some really tough regular enemies too. the only reason i mentioned it is because the game doesn't end with a 'you killed the big bad enemy' kind of thing.

the game is linear for the most part. what happens is you have a hub town where you go to collect quests etc. then they will send you to various parts around the wasteland. that part is open world but only just... it's only there to let you get from the hub towns to the various level entrances. once you enter a level, it will be linear all the way until you exit it. so when i say areas are reused, you will do a mission, come out, go back to the town and then someone will offer a side quest to go back to the level and do it again.

and in case i forgot to mention it, it's incredibly fun to play through. the gunplay is beautiful, very satisying and you will never get bored of it. that's what the game is really all about.

here's some screenshots in case you're under the impression that the game doesn't look good.

7CTl3.jpg

sejog.jpg

Mjz4q.jpg

yZ0oE.jpg

0VJwX.jpg

69hTl.jpg

you can see more here if you want to - http://steamcommunit...filter=app_9200

Archived