The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Karooo

2 problems with the thane quests... firstly, they are obscure. it's very easy to miss the quests required to do it. for example, i bought the house in solitude and the jarl told me i was one step closer to becoming the thane. now i don't know what to do. i've talked to her and everyone in her court and no one is giving me any quest. even the wikis are woefully inadequate when it comes to the thane quests so i don't know what to do. maybe i should look in the guide and see if it's mentioned there. the second problem is that the thane quests are full of filler. go and collect 5 ore for this person, go and find 10 fire salts for that person, go and find 3 flawless rubies for another person and so on. that sh*t is just tedious, which is why i gave up on the quest lines after experiencing this in solitude and riften. i'm the thane of whiterun and i doubt i'll do anything more in that particular set of quests.

That's weird. I never had a problem with the Thane quests. You have to help 5 people around the city and you can choose to ignore the tedious ones. Some of the quests are as simple as just talking to two people. Usually I end up having already finished the requirements by the time I get to trigger the dialog for becoming a Thane. Currently I am the Thane of all the holds except Dawnstar, Windhelm and Falkreath. And that's because I haven't visited the Jarls yet.

I am planning to play this solo, possible? Because on one quest my companion just vanished out of nowhere and reappeared back when I reached my objective. I thought she was gone for good.

And speaking about glitches, an elf fell from sky in Riverwood twice when I visited the town. There is nothing in the sky, no dragon or anything. He just falls out of nowhere and is dead. Funny stuff :lol:

Definitely possible without companions. They make good tanks for non-melee characters though.

About the bug - the elf probably got into a fight with a giant (that's usually the cause for raining NPCs).

About the bug - the elf probably got into a fight with a giant (that's usually the cause for raining NPCs).

Ohhh it makes sense. I hope I can witness such fight. It would be fun to watch Giants tossing around random people/animals.

Ohhh it makes sense. I hope I can witness such fight. It would be fun to watch Giants tossing around random people/animals.

I had to kill a dragon as a side quest and while traipsing through the woodlands on the way to the quest marker, I came across a giants camp. Did a hard save and then proceeded to toy with the giants. They can kill me with one ground smash, so I keep doing close quarters hit and runs to level up my heavy armor and one handed skills. During one of the 'runs' I realized that the quest dragon was circling overhead 200 mtrs away and proceeded to lure the giant towards the dragon. They got into it big time. At the end, the giant was dead and the dragon was so low on health that it took just two power attacks to slay it.

Epic, epic moment. :D

Now I don't know what to do...it says activate pillars but nothing happens when i press A

help

There are symbols on pillars on the left. Check the symbols above the locked door, there are two at the top and one has fallen on the ground.

Then match the symbols on the left to those in the top and the ground. The symbols should follow the same sequence.

yeah but keep pressing A & they aren't moving

You are f**ked. Welcome to Skyrim.

Edited by Super Zombie

you have to point your mouse to an individual ring (there are 3 rings there if i am not mistaken). the cursor prompt will change to something like "activate inner/ middle/ outer ring). Press A now and that individual ring will rotate so that the image changes.

He is talking about earlier puzzle, not the dragon claw one.

but as i go near them it says "press A to interact with pillars" & i keep pressing A but they don't move

Reload an earlier save.

Edited by Super Zombie

Don't even think about it. You need high health, access to some powerful shouts (slow time, ice form) and/or high destruction skills to take on a giant.

However if you have Whirlwind sprint you can try to kite the giant and use spells. It will take a long time (considering your level) but it might work. The idea is to stay away and avoid getting hit while pelting it with magic. I don't recommend it though. Once you're leveled up enough you can kill them with ease. I can take on an entire giant camp (two giants, three mammoths) easily at this point.

I actually managed to kill a giant when i was at level 6

there were 2 near whiterun with mammoths and all lured one towards whiterun and they wont be able to cross the boundary so basically stayed in shot it with arrows and when it retreated just put a step outside the boundary and he'll come lumbering back, rinse and repeat until he died..disappointed with the loot though.