The Old Cricket Thread

vinitwins

WC T20  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lords will be a flat pitch too. Recent history suggests result oriented pitch. Hoping there is a result to add some excitement in the series. Will be interesting to see if Dhoni is brave enough to make necessary changes in the team.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Lords will be a flat pitch too. Recent history suggests result oriented pitch. Hoping there is a result to add some excitement in the series. Will be interesting to see if Dhoni is brave enough to make necessary changes in the team.

Sent from my Nexus 4

What changes ?

To drop Kohli ?

via twitter:

after 9 tests
Umesh 32wkts avg 32 SR46 SWI 1
Kapil 28wkts, avg 41 SR68 5WI 0
ZAK 22wkts avg 43 SR76 5WI 0
Srinath 25wkts,avg 38 SR92 5WI0
& we've sent this guy to Australia & taken Chushant. :clapping: just on this basis dhoni deserves to lose/not win

So true..

ishant was bowling bouncers at 129 kmph..

Even on the 3rd day , they hardly bowled at anderson..Root was easily able to pick single at the 4th or 5th ball..

Also not giving the ball to Binny was really pathetic..Jaddu was nt threatening at all , yet Dhoni chose to bowl him instead of binny..

How do you know whether he's good or not when you never give him an opportunity..

jadeja should not be in the test squad let alone in the XI (for that matter he shouldnt even be in ODI's). for how much longer is dhoni going to attempt to transform him into a international-level player? he had a good year as bowler last year but now that everyone has realised that he doesnt actually turn the ball he's been exposed & lost his effectiveness bcoz all they have to do is play the line. plus he doesnt trust his defence & so just slogs everything while batting.
ashwin too is ineffective outside india so if jadeja & ashwin are our top spinners than our spinning cupboard is weaker than our pace cupboard. once again opposing team's part-time "spinner" outbowled our "frontline spinners"

What changes ?

To drop Kohli ?

A proper pace bowler in place of binny and Jadeja can be swapped for Ashwin who might be more effective at Lords considering Swann used to perform good there.

More than Kohli I am concerned about dhawan. Don't see any batting changes coming this match but if he fails again they should play Gambhir who has experience and in good touch.

Knowing Dhoni I won't be surprised if all players keep their place.

Sent from my Nexus 4

What changes ?

To drop Kohli ?

not that dhoni will change but i'd bring in aaron for shami, pankaj singh for chushant, ashwin for jadeja & then play binny or jadeja depending on surface

we've found the seaming all rounder that we were looking for - no, not binny but bhuvi.
shami has been bowling absolute rubbish since SA tour. he's bowling short &, even worse, on both sides of the wicket. plus his pace has dropped majorly from 140+ to <134. also he hasnt been able to get the ball to reverse. he should be dropped for aaron. we need some one with pace in the side.
would get pankaj singh who was apparently bowling well in practice games in for chushant.

A proper pace bowler in place of binny and Jadeja can be swapped for Ashwin who might be more effective at Lords considering Swann used to perform good there.

More than Kohli I am concerned about dhawan. Don't see any batting changes coming this match but if he fails again they should play Gambhir who has experience and in good touch.

Knowing Dhoni I won't be surprised if all players keep their place.

Sent from my Nexus 4

yea dhawan is a concern. weak against pace, very weak against spin. this was second time in recent tests that he's weathered the pace bowlers spell & then thrown it away playing a loose shot against a part time spinner. i am a fan of his but now i feel that he doesnt have the technique & shot selection to a be a opener in tests. gambhir isnt the answer either though with his dabs.

^ :lol: legend who avg's <35 outside Asia in tests & <33 in odi's overall. then raina & srj are on their way to GOAT status

well call back when srj and raina get 60+ in asia to match mahela's "lopsided" (sic) avg

kthxbai

not that dhoni will change but i'd bring in aaron for shami, pankaj singh for chushant, ashwin for jadeja & then play binny or jadeja depending on surface

we've found the seaming all rounder that we were looking for - no, not binny but bhuvi.
shami has been bowling absolute rubbish since SA tour. he's bowling short &, even worse, on both sides of the wicket. plus his pace has dropped majorly from 140+ to <134. also he hasnt been able to get the ball to reverse. he should be dropped for aaron. we need some one with pace in the side.
would get pankaj singh who was apparently bowling well in practice games in for chushant.

yea dhawan is a concern. weak against pace, very weak against spin. this was second time in recent tests that he's weathered the pace bowlers spell & then thrown it away playing a loose shot against a part time spinner. i am a fan of his but now i feel that he doesnt have the technique & shot selection to a be a opener in tests. gambhir isnt the answer either though with his dabs.

Chushant will stay to complete Dhoni's mandatory Sharma quota in the side. I still can't believe we sent Umesh to Australia just based on few average performances. His record in test is still way better than Chushant.

ER is not that imp in tests AVG of 32 is pretty good for first 9 tests (some played in india)

& he last played in 2012 so obviously (hopefully?) he's learnt & developed (unlike a certain Sharma who we will not mention)

Want Ishant to be the leader: Dawes

Who is the leader of India’s bowling attack after Zaheer Khan?

The obvious choice is Ishant. He has been around for a long time, played 55 Test matches. He needs to step up and assume the leadership of this attack.

Do you think he is ready for that role?

I think he is exciting. You’ve got a bloke who’s 25 years of age and played 55 Test matches. He has had a pretty rough time so far – came in as a super star, got injured, went in and out, had various levels of success – some incredible highs and lows. I admire the fact that he doesn’t let much of that affect him. We push him to be the leader and he wants to be one. We’ve got high expectations off him and does he always meet them? No. But that has never been for the lack of trying.

Don’t you think for a bowler of his skill and potential he is a little inconsistent?

I know people are sick of hearing that Ishy is unlucky. I don’t think he is unlucky but he doesn’t always get the reward when he bowls well. He bowled really well in SA and NZ and got some good wickets too, but it still doesn’t reflect how well he actually bowled. One thing I can tell you is that now he understands the mental side of bowling much better. He knows what he wants to do and we have seen that in the last year or so. There is still a ball every over that you don’t want and that’s frustrating. But I believe he is improving in the consistency aspect.

I thought we fired this Dawes guy <_<

Economy rate doesnt really matter. The strike rate and the average are more important. 4.2 is still decent, at least it's not 7.

The guy has got raw pace. When are they going to give him a chance? When he's 32?

Real fast bowlers are very rare. There's just 3 in international cricket who have a fixed place in their teams - Harris, Johnson and Morkel. And even among them Harris might be injured beyond repair and may never play again.

And here we have 2 in Yadav and Aaron.and somehow we don't seem to give them enough chances.

• AtheK changed the title to The Old Cricket Thread
  • AtheK locked this topic