Valve working on 'Steam Box' gaming console!

Apparently meetings were held during CES to demo a hand-built version of the device to potential partners. We're told that the basic specs of the Steam Box include a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU. The devices will be able to run any standard PC titles, and will also allow for rival gaming services (like EA's Origin) to be loaded up.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2840932/exclusive-valve-steam-box-gaming-console

Its all over the internetz. What I dont get is,is it a pre configured PC? if so what is the point?

If it is a console,with steam on it then there would be some point,but that would render all other steam games unplayable as they need windows to work. And if I am not wrong the reports claim that games bought on steam would work.

Aside from all that,the gaming industry is too small to support 4 different console players,if valve enters sooner or later someone will leave.

I think its just a pre built PC with some standardized configuration so you dont have to worry about specs. Kinda like Alienware just did. Which does seem pointless to us but there are a lot of people who prefer prebuilt stuff.

It cant be a consoles cause like purple says without Windows your steam library is just a list of text.

sold if my existing steam games carry over to the platform, also specs are looking really nice

this could either be a huge hit or a huge flop

It can not work

A. They have to sell it at lesser price than these components cost, which will never happen.

B. how long before this is hacked/over clocked/custom configed/china-ed?

As Afty pointed .

There is a market for this type of pre configured PCs

Put some fancy LEDs , backlights , give the box an aluminium finish .. It's done .

They won't have to lower the cost too .. Instead they can put some exclusive offers , features to the Steam box ..

Its all over the internetz. What I dont get is,is it a pre configured PC? if so what is the point?

If it is a console,with steam on it then there would be some point,but that would render all other steam games unplayable as they need windows to work. And if I am not wrong the reports claim that games bought on steam would work.

Aside from all that,the gaming industry is too small to support 4 different console players,if valve enters sooner or later someone will leave.

For all we know, it could be Valve themselves :P

For all we know, it could be Valve themselves :P

If Kaz isnt able to move mountains,I think it would be most likely Sony. Valve has a following thanks to steam :P

Plus they wont be stupid and overconfident,cause this would be their first console.

a_med_AdSg3pbCEAAYHtu.jpg.jpg

New evidence suggests Valve is building a living room 'Steam Box' device to take on Apple TV and even PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo consoles.

Website The Verge published a report collating rumours from anonymous sources. Chief among those rumours: that Valve held meetings at tech show CES to demo a hand-built PC/console machine to potential partners.

The basic specs of this Steam Box were a Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GPU, the report said.

These are identical specs to those Valve employee Greg Coomer tweeted about in November, when he shared a picture of a "tiny PC" he'd been busy building that "runs Portal 2 FAST".

Kotaku heard from a source that Coomer, a product designer, heads a five to 10-person Steam Box team at Valve.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-05-new-evidence-of-valves-steam-box-console-pc

Really? Portal 2 fast? 5 year old PCs can do that. They chose the wrong example IMO.

Archived