The Android Thread

pArth

^^ Again, you jump the gun, this reminds me of the small tiff we had in The News Thread when you had said why Cancer had not been easily cured and that all conflicts bring is negativity.

Lets answer your questions, one by one shall we.

-Does it cut down on costs (in a substantial manner) from the regular non android/phone home automation that uses 2-3 fist sized remotes ?

-Does it make things any simpler than having a proper automated system pre installed? not talking about all in 1 device but the whole process of setting up the structure.

-Does it offer a simple alternative in case wifi/internet is down?

1. Yes it does, when you can use bare bones like Raspberry Pi and an Android smartphone (one) to control your custom features, it does make the entire system a lot easier on the pocket.
  2. A proper automated system with a brand badge on it promises nothing that cannot be achieved by tinkering this home-made system itself. In-fact when you do a colloquial 'jugaad' you have much more control over the entire set-up than a completely assembled package. Think of it like the Assembled PC vs. pre-built PC argument.
  3. It all depends on what interface you are using to control the individual systems. If they work on an IR (Infra-Red) system as well for redundancy then yes if Wi-Fi or data connection is lost, it does not amount to loosing control over your appliances. You just switch over to the IR method but deal with a limited range.

And last time I checked an universal remote (depending on brand and functionality) was making a hole between $100 -->$500, this is not including additional charges of getting equipment which is certified compatible with said remote.

Edited by ALPHA17

Lets answer your questions, one by one shall we.

• Yes it does, when you can use bare bones like Raspberry Pi and an Android smartphone (one) to control your custom features, it does make the entire system a lot easier on the pocket.
  • A proper automated system with a brand badge on it promises nothing that cannot be achieved by tinkering this home-made system itself. In-fact when you do a colloquial 'jugaad' you have much more control over the entire set-up than a completely assembled package. Think of it like the Assembled PC vs. pre-built PC argument.
  • It all depends on what interface you are using to control the individual systems. If they work on an IR (Infra-Red) system as well for redundancy then yes if Wi-Fi or data connection is lost, it does not amount to loosing control over your appliances. You just switch over to the IR method but deal with a limited range.
And last time I checked an universal remote (depending on brand and functionality) was making a hole between $100 -->$500, this is not including additional charges of getting equipment which is certified compatible with said remote.

1. Give me some numbers if you are confident that this will be substantially cheaper than a universal remote. Not doubting you but I want to see it. So far nowhere is its all inclusive cost mentioned compared to a pre installed univ remote system.

2. Yeeeahh.. Well the whole idea of 'jugaad' and DIY is kind of romanticized tbh. I mean it is ok if you are building actual stuff with bare hands in the shed out in the yard but when it comes to technical stuff regarding things that have become almost indispensable like light and Insulation it is better to have it done with a peace of mind than tinker it all day long. Even if one finds joy in that, there would only be a handful of people who'd have the proper know how to go about it. Dont see a majority finding pleasure in this.

3. Isnt infrared limited to really shitty range? kind of defeats the whole purpose of badass jetsons life doesnt it? Anyway it is good if they incorporate IR and RF along with internet. Purely dependent on wifi and net could mean long exasperated moments when there's a net downtime :/

Forget about smartphone handling all this having Bluetooth on

a point regarding battery of smartphones ranging in between 1800-2500 wundnt last a day, thats the horror im living in

Apparently, there was no Bluetooth involved. It was done using WiFi/Data.

Once more unto the breach,

1. Give me some numbers if you are confident that this will be substantially cheaper than a universal remote. Not doubting you but I want to see it. So far nowhere is its all inclusive cost mentioned compared to a pre installed univ remote system.

Depending on functionality, the remote is going to set you back by ~$100 -->$500, to keep things sane we get two of these. A phone costs ~$250 for a competent piece which can handle all the above shenanigans, again two of these. Certified wall panels and controllers cost ~6000/- INR -->25000/- depending on brand, support and functionality, installation charges extra. Small motors and servos will have to be installed irrespective of the jugaad path or official path if you want to manipulate blinds and so on.

Compared to branded components cobbling together stuff like Raspberry Pi ($50), USB Wi-Fi receiver ($15) / IR receiver ($15) into something functional is cheaper, the numbers speak for themselves.

2. Yeeeahh.. Well the whole idea of 'jugaad' and DIY is kind of romanticized tbh. I mean it is ok if you are building actual stuff with bare hands in the shed out in the yard but when it comes to technical stuff regarding things that have become almost indispensable like light and Insulation it is better to have it done with a peace of mind than tinker it all day long. Even if one finds joy in that, there would only be a handful of people who'd have the proper know how to go about it. Dont see a majority finding pleasure in this.

And the fear of not embarking down the road is what keeps certain brands afloat.

It is not about finding pleasure, it is your knowledge and how to apply it practically. Maybe going through the motions of installing a DiY / jugaad system for such purposes would not appeal to my Mamu (or parents) or the older generation because of their lack of understanding and patience with the system. But for peeps like Shantz who have a passion and wish to keep themselves ahead of the learning curve on topic it is a good way to kill time and learn / apply what they already know.

3. Isnt infrared limited to really shitty range? kind of defeats the whole purpose of badass jetsons life doesnt it? Anyway it is good if they incorporate IR and RF along with internet. Purely dependent on wifi and net could mean long exasperated moments when there's a net downtime :/

Redundancy is at the core of it. If building a smart-home (horrible pun intended) means that you become too lazy to punch a few buttons you don't need all these fancy gadgets, you need a psychiatrist. Also, ~20 -->25 ft. range ain't bad for standby.

Hope this gets the point across. Cheers!

Forget about smartphone handling all this having Bluetooth on

a point regarding battery of smartphones ranging in between 1800-2500 wundnt last a day, thats the horror im living in

it isn't via bluetooth but over the net

Once more unto the breach,

Depending on functionality, the remote is going to set you back by ~$100 -->$500, to keep things sane we get two of these. A phone costs ~$250 for a competent piece which can handle all the above shenanigans, again two of these. Certified wall panels and controllers cost ~6000/- INR -->25000/- depending on brand, support and functionality, installation charges extra. Small motors and servos will have to be installed irrespective of the jugaad path or official path if you want to manipulate blinds and so on.

Compared to branded components cobbling together stuff like Raspberry Pi ($50), USB Wi-Fi receiver ($15) / IR receiver ($15) into something functional is cheaper, the numbers speak for themselves.

And the fear of not embarking down the road is what keeps certain brands afloat.

It is not about finding pleasure, it is your knowledge and how to apply it practically. Maybe going through the motions of installing a DiY / jugaad system for such purposes would not appeal to my Mamu (or parents) or the older generation because of their lack of understanding and patience with the system. But for peeps like Shantz who have a passion and wish to keep themselves ahead of the learning curve on topic it is a good way to kill time and learn / apply what they already know.

Redundancy is at the core of it. If building a smart-home (horrible pun intended) means that you become too lazy to punch a few buttons you don't need all these fancy gadgets, you need a psychiatrist. Also, ~20 -->25 ft. range ain't bad for standby.

Hope this gets the point across. Cheers!

That was helpful. Thanks for the explanation Apha.

I'd like to turn off LTE and 3G when I'm connected to a WiFi network, and I'm not able to figure out how to do that using Tasker. One of the solutions I found, using Secure Settings, requires me to be on CM9/rooted. I'm on an unrooted HTC One though.

I can turn the LTE off by going to Settings > Mobile Data > Network Mode > GSM/WCDMA auto (instead of GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto), but I'd like to turn off LTE when I get home.

I'm at work or at home most of the time, and that means I'm on a good WiFi connection, so I'd like to turn off the 3G/4G radios to conserve some battery :)

I'd like to turn off LTE and 3G when I'm connected to a WiFi network, and I'm not able to figure out how to do that using Tasker. One of the solutions I found, using Secure Settings, requires me to be on CM9/rooted. I'm on an unrooted HTC One though.

I can turn the LTE off by going to Settings > Mobile Data > Network Mode > GSM/WCDMA auto (instead of GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto), but I'd like to turn off LTE when I get home.

I'm at work or at home most of the time, and that means I'm on a good WiFi connection, so I'd like to turn off the 3G/4G radios to conserve some battery :)

1) New Profile ; Name it "Wifi On" or something (not important)

2) Click Check

3) State (Search :WiFI)

4) Click on WiFI Connected

5) Select an SSID if you want this to work with only one network; leave blank for it to work with everything

6) Back

7) New Task +

8 (Name it "3G off" or something

9) Check

10) Click on Plus (+)

11) Search "Data"

12) Select "Mobile Data"

13 Set : Off

DOne

1) New Profile ; Name it "Wifi On" or something (not important)

2) Click Check

3) State (Search :WiFI)

4) Click on WiFI Connected

5) Select an SSID if you want this to work with only one network; leave blank for it to work with everything

6) Back

7) New Task +

8 (Name it "3G off" or something

9) Check

10) Click on Plus (+)

11) Search "Data"

12) Select "Mobile Data"

13 Set : Off

DOne

:hug: Got it, but does turning off 'Mobile Data' also turn off the 3G and LTE radios? I'm not worried about data consumption, but am about Battery consumption.

I found 'Mobile Data 2G/3G' under 'Net' in Actions, but it's Red in color and it says it isn't available :scratchchin:

:hug: Got it, but does turning off 'Mobile Data' also turn off the 3G and LTE radios? I'm not worried about data consumption, but am about Battery consumption.

I found 'Mobile Data 2G/3G' under 'Net' in Actions, but it's Red in color and it says it isn't available :scratchchin:

My cell doesn't have LTE so I don't know if there's another toggle for that. But if there isn't , mobile data means 2g EDGE 3g LTE 4g 4g+ everything.

My cell doesn't have LTE so I don't know if there's another toggle for that. But if there isn't , mobile data means 2g EDGE 3g LTE 4g 4g+ everything.

:cheers: I'll set it up now. I like that we can choose which SSIDs to trigger on.

I still need to play around with Tasker for a few days. I bought it yesterday, but haven't really gotten a chance to use it much. :)

had to take Z to service centre today, was having some problem with the camera. After arguing 15 minutes with the service centre guy, he took it for servicing. Apparently no service for Z in India, will get a new replacement piece in 2 days.

Now the fun is when he asked for bill, i had a bill from Univercell, and they will not accept it as it was a hand written bill and they need a printed bill. Had to call the store and have him print a bill and send a scanned copy to me, what an ordeal.

Anyone buying new phones, make sure you get a printed bill. HTC and Sony are not accepting hand written bills, not sure how is it with samsung.

You'll need to turn off "Mobile Data" and then switch to "2G" mode in "Mobile Data 2G/3G". That requires root. Since you can't do that, there's a workaround for that.

1. On WiFi Connected to SSID

2. App > Load App > Settings

3. Now use Input > Dpad to go to the 2G/3G setting under settings and do what you want.

This seems like a very primitive way of sing things but without root, that seeks to be the only solution.

You'll need to turn off "Mobile Data" and then switch to "2G" mode in "Mobile Data 2G/3G". That requires root. Since you can't do that, there's a workaround for that.

1. On WiFi Connected to SSID

2. App > Load App > Settings

3. Now use Input > Dpad to go to the 2G/3G setting under settings and do what you want.

This seems like a very primitive way of sing things but without root, that seeks to be the only solution.

Ooooh... yeah, that seems like a nice workaround... Thanks a ton :hug:

edit: Apparently, I can't use the dpad feature. It's red in color and says something in the lines of "this setting is not available on your phone". :(

Edited by Somebody