The Play-Asia Thread

Red Devil

I have another 2 big orders awaited from Amazon US and UK. Hope they don't get caught with the custom. This whole custom business sounds scary. Does anyone have prior experience with Amazon shipping/import?

I've ordered some HD-DVDs from Amazon in the past. I usually choose expedited international shipping and pay nominal customs charges on the shipment.

I chose the shippings with least charges available.

Amazon.com(Shipped via Standard Intl Shipping):

Item Subtotal: $104.95

Shipping & Handling: $8.98

Amazon.co.uk(Shipped via International Mail):

Subtotal: £25.51

Delivery Charge: £3.58

Not sure if custom is part of it or I still have to pay additionally for it.

Yup! He got that alright. Bugger was elated when he opened the package, even though there was no Lady Croft waiting inside.

Managed to wrangle out the GH3 copy from his death-grip somehow. Made a 3 hour long traffic-infested trip to his place and back but finally I have the game with me now. So what if I had to let go of my COD4 and Orange Box copy?

Now I hope he gets that Simpsons game as well pretty soon.

I guessing you have ordered several items. So the package could be quite bulky and will likely attract the attention of customs and you could have to pay some duty on it

if it ever reaches you

Not several item. Single item from each site. Aarrg! this whole import business is fishy. I would rather arrange for an officla trip and get the stuff myself.

^^ you can expect a customs charge on that.

You will have to go the customs office at your local airport and check if the package is lying with them.

You mean there is no way I will get any notification. Also it is totally on us to go and check ourselves to see if they are holding any of our shipments,right?

Damn! Great Indian Custom Dept.

Amazon actually ships To India ?

Btw i ordered an unlocker kit from xbox-modchips.com recommended by Vinit,

Its been 7 days and they have not even given me a tracking number or any kind of response that the item has shipped :/

I Chose International Air shipping which cost me abt 12$ since the unlocker itself was for that much.

I contacted the support like 3-4 days back and still haven't received a response

^^ you can expect a customs charge on that.

You will have to go the customs office at your local airport and check if the package is lying with them.

You mean there is no way I will get any notification. Also it is totally on us to go and check ourselves to see if they are holding any of our shipments,right?

Damn! Great Indian Custom Dept.

Usually your friendly neighborhood postman will drop by with the package and a customs challan for the amount of duty you have to pay. On payment, he will hand over the package to you. In case you are not at the delivery address when he arrives, he will leave a small chit mentioning the amount of duty payable and the time at which you should come to the post office and pick up the package. The post office will have a special "delivery window" which is usually open for only 1 hour in the morning (from 10am to 11 am), during which time you can pick up the package.

This has been my experience with the "Expedited Int'l Shipping" option on Amazon. This option causes the package to become a "registered post delivery" on arrival in India, so the postal department takes special care of your package, but it also means that customs is usually payable on it.

When I have ordered from "Allposters.com", it comes through normal postal delivery and since no customs is payable Allposters items (posters, pictures, t-shirts, etc.) the postman will hand it over to whoever is there at the delivery address.

Usually your friendly neighborhood postman will drop by with the package and a customs challan for the amount of duty you have to pay. On payment, he will hand over the package to you. In case you are not at the delivery address when he arrives, he will leave a small chit mentioning the amount of duty payable and the time at which you should come to the post office and pick up the package. The post office will have a special "delivery window" which is usually open for only 1 hour in the morning (from 10am to 11 am), during which time you can pick up the package.

This has been my experience with the "Expedited Int'l Shipping" option on Amazon. This option causes the package to become a "registered post delivery" on arrival in India, so the postal department takes special care of your package, but it also means that customs is usually payable on it.

When I have ordered from "Allposters.com", it comes through normal postal delivery and since no customs is payable Allposters items (posters, pictures, t-shirts, etc.) the postman will hand it over to whoever is there at the delivery address.

This is some relief, really. Thanks for all the clarifications,MT.

I have tipped our friendly neighborhood postman handsomely during diwali. Hope he turns up soon w/wo custom chalan.

^^ i did that too....its not under the post office's control...so no matter how much u paid ur postman, u will get charged customs

peace

Yup! thats pretty much clear from MT's earlier posts. Big relief is that I dont have to(or, hope so) visit the custom at local airport. I will pay for the chalan to the postman and collect my stuff.

My worst fear came true today, but not without a happy ending!

I had ordered :

08. Dec, 2007 - AV Adapter/Cable/Optical Cable (PA)

13. Dec, 2007 - DVI Cable (PA)

20. Dec, 2007 - DS3 (PA) :dance:

22. Dec, 2007 - God of War 1 and 2

I received everything together today. Was calculating the customs in my mind when the guy was handing over the parcels.

But he just took my sig and left!! :jumpy:

Had used free shipping with Economy Air bubble. The cable and adapter were in a box thou.

PS : Those are shipping dates , btw!

Archived