Earth Hour 2011

playstation

i used to celebrate about 10-12 hours in summer for previous years and now it's about ~4 earth hours each day :P

:O

Which city do u stay bro ?

I stay in Tier 2 city and there are no power cuts this year .

Power goes for a while , once in a week .

There will be no power cuts in Summer as the deficit in electricity production is almost over

Try these steps for power conservation .

My bill which used to be 7k-8k has decreased to 3k .

Replace designer lights with CFLs and LEDs

Replace Plasmas and LCD to LED backlit TV

Switch off the main board button after using appliances as they use 5% of the power if kept ON

Temp of AC should be kept 24-25 degree celsius . ACs fan speed kept low or high consumes same energy . So it's better to keep it high . Keep AC on sleep mode during night

Sine wave inverters are better than digital inverters

When downloading huge files , keep u r console on

sleep mode .

Most of the TVs have Energy saving mode , use it while watching .

Some of my tips . :good:

Guys,

Please join in friends...Today is the last day....Please do.....This is a important...so many of you have not come forward...admins/senior members/mods...many are missing from this...Please come forward.

Also..I have some personal thing come up which i just cannot avoid ......but have decided to same thing for this by Switching off Same time as everyone else that is 8.30-9.30 pm next week.

But please do join in. Its a message for the Only Planet in our solar system that supports life ....atleast what we know till now...so once again please join in.

I don't see the point of the whole earth hour nonsense...If you have to get a global event going to turn off "non-essential" lights for "one hour", why not ask to turn them off all the time? I keep all non essential lights and any electronics stuff that I am not using off. I don't use A/Cs (Although I thought of them a bit this year but then again decided against them). I buy all my equipment with better energy ratings even if costs saved in electricity are negligible compared to premium paid on price. I walk or use public transport as much as I can. A lot of people use this earth hour as their "good deed for the environment" and after doing it once an year they go back to wasting power left, right and center.

On top of that, some scumbags think they are some environmental super heroes and shut off the main power in apartments (e.g. I have had this issue twice in past 3 years in 2 different societies) leading to total black out. Last year I was remotely live debugging a customer's new device which was about to launch next day and this arsehole shut off the power disconnecting me from the internet.

So, please count me out.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Lots of people and school kids etc take out a candle light vigil during the earth hour (at least around areas where I have lived recently) releasing more CO2 into the environment than would have otherwise been released if they continued to use CFLs lol

I don't see the point of the whole earth hour nonsense...If you have to get a global event going to turn off "non-essential" lights for "one hour", why not ask to turn them off all the time? I keep all non essential lights and any electronics stuff that I am not using off. I don't use A/Cs (Although I thought of them a bit this year but then again decided against them). I buy all my equipment with better energy ratings even if costs saved in electricity are negligible compared to premium paid on price. I walk or use public transport as much as I can. A lot of people use this earth hour as their "good deed for the environment" and after doing it once an year they go back to wasting power left, right and center.

On top of that, some scumbags think they are some environmental super heroes and shut off the main power in apartments (e.g. I have had this issue twice in past 3 years in 2 different societies) leading to total black out. Last year I was remotely live debugging a customer's new device which was about to launch next day and this arsehole shut off the power disconnecting me from the internet.

So, please count me out.

It is a way of reaching out to people to think for once about nature and earth...so that many realize these things are important too....What you do ...i also do....same thing...i am sure there are lot of us who do that too...but more needs to be done.....it is not nonsense....sorry dont agree with you. :good:

^^ I think this is not the right way to reach people or create awareness. The earth hour propaganda never urges people to do anything for the earth beyond that one hour. Why is that so? This is going against the very goal of the act. That is why I am against it because it is not "adding" to the fight against conservation, rather marginalizing its cause.

^^ I think this is not the right way to reach people or create awareness. The earth hour propaganda never urges people to do anything for the earth beyond that one hour. Why is that so? This is going against the very goal of the act. That is why I am against it because it is not "adding" to the fight against conservation, rather marginalizing its cause.

this is a nice simple way to reach out millions across the world.....Its a way of creating that thought to save electricity to be more responsible i should say ....and it is not stopping anyone from doing more...it is not forcing anyone to do this also....but if you do its a nice way to join the world in creating awareness and be more responsbile

this is a nice simple way to reach out millions across the world.....Its a way of creating that thought to save electricity to be more responsible i should say ....and it is not stopping anyone from doing more...it is not forcing anyone to do this also....but if you do its a nice way to join the world in creating awareness and be more responsbile

What I'm saying is that it is not the way it should be. It is giving a wrong idea to people. Check all the ads and everywhere they say that do this for one hour and done.. Even if you check your own OP, there also does it mention anything about doing this beyond the one hour (it just says do this tiny thing for the earth for one hour), or does it mention anything why it is needed, what else can be done by people to save power and other resources? No. This is what I am saying that the "earth hour" phenomenon trivializes the need and goal and all that effort being spent concentrated towards one hour should instead be used in providing this awareness round the year and should also include actual information about the issue and how to do more to resolve it than just shutting down power for one hour.

The people who know about these things are already doing it. The people who don't know about these things are not being made aware, so what's the use except causing problems to others by people like I mentioned above (which makes it pretty less voluntary and this happens a lot because over last 2-3 years I've seen so many email threads in my office by people facing the same issue that some guys forcibly turn off complete power. Some rare fools have even turned off powers to whole colonies by asking the lineman, not even thinking that there are clinics, dispensaries, hospitals operating in the area). This all is happening because of the lack of awareness that surrounds this mass hysteria of earth hour.

^+1 , this should be done with your own internal thoughts not forced upon , and yeah Agree , just shutting down power for 1 hour and going back to normal routine of wasting for the rest of the year is pure BS , all this tries is to teach and create awareness , which I doubt many Indians won't understand , if this is forced upon by someone else , then its becomes less of awareness and more a curse.

I agree with Shantz here. half the people taking part in this dont even have a clue about the issues being faced by the earth and its environment. They're just joining into this "hype" created in social media (facebook, twitter) just for the heck of it. For them, its a sort of fun event and aftr 1 hour its back to normal lives. No one even bothers to know the whys and the hows. I would give it some credit if it actually spread awareness about the actual issues being faced and giving more helpful tips etc instead of just blindly telling people to switch off for an hour. Yes it will cause a huge savings in power, but in the long term adds no benefit

But then again, more power to all of you who are taking part sincerely and are inculcating environment friendly habits in their lives.

@Joy, the funny part is, the awareness campaign they talking about is also kind of weak. Even on earth hour website, they are just advertising the huge corporate and politcal support its getting and that everyone is taking part you also take part and thats it. Nothing about general awareness of environmental problems today due to pollution, global warming which is the core issue and the awareness of which should be spread continually around the year

What I'm saying is that it is not the way it should be. It is giving a wrong idea to people. Check all the ads and everywhere they say that do this for one hour and done.. Even if you check your own OP, there also does it mention anything about doing this beyond the one hour (it just says do this tiny thing for the earth for one hour), or does it mention anything why it is needed, what else can be done by people to save power and other resources? No. This is what I am saying that the "earth hour" phenomenon trivializes the need and goal and all that effort being spent concentrated towards one hour should instead be used in providing this awareness round the year and should also include actual information about the issue and how to do more to resolve it than just shutting down power for one hour.

The people who know about these things are already doing it. The people who don't know about these things are not being made aware, so what's the use except causing problems to others by people like I mentioned above (which makes it pretty less voluntary and this happens a lot because over last 2-3 years I've seen so many email threads in my office by people facing the same issue that some guys forcibly turn off complete power. Some rare fools have even turned off powers to whole colonies by asking the lineman, not even thinking that there are clinics, dispensaries, hospitals operating in the area). This all is happening because of the lack of awareness that surrounds this mass hysteria of earth hour.

it is a wrong thing if it is being forced upon ...it should be decided by individually's own thought or if he is willingly joining in creating this awareness...and again by asking more people to join in doing this tiny thing for earth for just an hour i did not mean to stop it right there.......it is just away of spreading the message ....and many of those people may after this may be changed and next time be more responsible .

^+1 , this should be done with your own internal thoughts not forced upon , and yeah Agree , just shutting down power for 1 hour and going back to normal routine of wasting for the rest of the year is pure BS , all this tries is to teach and create awareness , which I doubt many Indians won't understand , if this is forced upon by someone else , then its becomes less of awareness and more a curse.

Specially for us Indians...i have seen how irresponsible many can be towards these....many last generation dont care abt this ...so when youngsters are doing this ...they may be aware of it.....

Hey hey now :threatenlumber:

My dad works in lanco solar is the CTO there , my mom owns her company called saurya enertech (check the site out :P I made it ! ) and I am working on a project of insatlling two 200W solar panels on my house , just got the solar panels !! Arrived an hour ago ( can I post their pics in what you bought this week thread ) ??

So anything about this generation eh ? :threatenlumber:

PS those panels are actually leftovers from one of my moms projects and they got a bit damaged in transit :cry:

totally agree with shantz and ds...i really feel its like a hype and gimmick...and the way they are publicizing it ,also doesnt seem right.

one hour bandh rakho...earth hour earth hour...uske baad phirse wapas awarapan :P

. Last year I was remotely live debugging a customer's new device which was about to launch next day and this arsehole shut off the power disconnecting me from the internet.

:giggle:

Archived