Update: Vivendi holding off on Ubisoft takeover plans for six months

Update:

Original story:

With its acquisition of mobile studio Gameloft all but complete, French media conglomerate Vivendi has upped its stake in Ubisoft to 20.1 percent.

If Vivendi manages to increase its stake in Ubisoft to 30 percent, French law dictates that the media group must table a mandatory takeover bid.

yC1oTrl.png

Vivendi, however, insists it doesn’t plan on doing that, despite admitting it will continue to purchase shares based on market conditions.

"Vivendi is not considering the launch of a public tender on Ubisoft nor acquiring the control of the company; [although we are] considering continuing to acquire shares depending on market conditions." read a company statement.

Both Ubisoft and Gameloft were founded by the Guillemot family, who have spoken out on more than one occasion against Vivendi's unsolicited advances.

"The family maintains that Vivendi's hostile approach goes against the best interest of Gameloft, both for its activity and for its teams,” said the family in the wake of the Gameloft takeover.

While on stage at this year's E3, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot gave an impassioned speech about the importance of creative independence, and though he didn't mention Vivendi by name, it's apparent he's firmly against the company's very public pursuit of his studio.

"I love video games because the real innovation and magic comes when our teams and players are free to create," explained Guillemot.

"Free to innovate. Free to express themselves. Free to take risks and have fun. That’s what got us here today, and that's what will drive us for another thirty years and beyond."

-Gamasutra

Ubisoft does downgrade & blatantly lie about the quality of their games

but at the end of the day they are!! innovators without a shadow of a doubt

They are right up there with Sony when it comes to keeping the cycle of creativity going

others like Activision,EA,Nintendo & M$ just don't give enough new content to the industry

Ubi keeps trying new things & I respect them for that

:rofl:

Ubi keeps trying new things & I respect them for that

5222791-5506561978-Benef.gif

Like what.....name a few like I did

to increase my general knowledge

Try out every Kirby game, every major Mario release.

Having more franchises / IP's does not equate to better game-play or innovation.

Ubisoft does downgrade & blatantly lie about the quality of their games

but at the end of the day they are!! innovators without a shadow of a doubt

They are right up there with Sony when it comes to keeping the cycle of creativity going

others like Activision,EA,Nintendo & M$ just don't give enough new content to the industry

quentin-tarantino-golden-globes-2013.gif

Ank, kya smoke kar reha hai aaj kal tu?.....

Asa Ghatiya do paisa ka company bc.... releasing 10023454212689 edition of a*s a*s in creed and you talking about creativity .....At one time i agree they were just one of the best ....Beyond good and evil tha ..POP Sands of time....but ab yeh company is one of the worst in industry right now.

Kitne saalon se rgamers have been begging for Beyond good and evil 2...teaser dikha ke bhi nahi release kiya sala chuu company.

I'd take those game over shitty AAA title which Ubisoft provides.

Watch_Dogs, Division, Crew, Wild Lands -> all uses same Ubisoft theme and open world.

Siege and For Honor -> again same. Just different setting.

Milking STAR WARS? Only one game released so far...

Dragon Age: Inquisition took 3 years gap.

Last Mass Effect game 4 years ago.

How is that milking? What are you smoking?

C.)They are still making Dragon Age,ME,BF after last gen filled with them......that's milking

So, Assassin's Creed Syndicate was totally different from Assassin's Creed 2?

And so was FarCry Primal from FarCry 3?

Again, just rattling off a bunch of IP's does not mean that they are innovating.

Pls list what Activision or EA are doing in the "new department"

ACTIVISION is not doing anything path-breaking, as for EA.

TITANFALL, Fe, Unravel, God-only-knows-what-with-the-STARWARS-IP, PvZ Garden Warfare. Really, not as bad as you paint it.

Yes AC & FC are old franchises but i have listed enough new ones too

For Honor is new to you because you have not played Chivalry, War of Roses or Mount & Blade.

I see Wildlands ending up like The Division or The Crew, grindy no fun open-world.

And what about the bread and butter franchises, same old, same old.

Archived