PS3 FAQ

CarbonCore

Hey guys,

I've connected my PS3 to a monitor (via HDMI to DVI convertor).

The thing is my monitor's native res. is 1600 x 900.

But my PS3 doesn't render it. If I select Full HD, then my monitor keeps throwing a "Display mode not optimum" error hardprinted to the screen. But the image quality looks and feels good. But I can't stick with it because of the hard printed message. It doesn't show an error at 720p which is low for my monitor I guess. Isn't there a way to fix this (like the option to choose the res. like in xbox)?

This isn't a major problem but certainly it would be better if I can get slightly higher res. anything equal to or above 1400 x 900.

Nopes. You can't choose your own resolution on the PS3. Over HDMI, it only supports 1080p/i, 720p, 480p (or 576p in case of PAL systems like India).

But then since PS3 games run at 720p, you aren't loosing out much unless the 720p resolution looks stretched on you screen.

Try going through the manual if you can turn off the hard-printed error message.

Nopes. You can't choose your own resolution on the PS3. Over HDMI, it only supports 1080p/i, 720p, 480p (or 576p in case of PAL systems like India).

But then since PS3 games run at 720p, you aren't loosing out much unless the 720p resolution looks stretched on you screen.

Try going through the manual if you can turn off the hard-printed error message.

No it isn't looking stretched bro. It looks fine (I've been gaming on that res. all this time and had no issues so far). But it's just that at 1080p, the elements (especially text) look more crisp (I haven't played games but, from xmb). I actually went through my monitor manual the first time it occured and managed to turn it off. But it turns out that it'll come up everytime the screen re-boots, meaning, when a game is launched, when it is quit (returning to the xmb, etc.). So, I have to turn the error message off every time like this and it's a major PITA.

• 2 weeks later...

120 has been discontinued only 160 now

Try www.game4u.com

They operate from mumbai

yes i want that 20k one but want to buy it from a shop, not too keen to buy it from a online store.

Contact them on the phone no. Given on their website , they have a shop in Mumbai

k will do that, btw one more thing, if i buy the 160GB one, can i connect my Seagate 500GB external HDD to it for additional storage??

any other shop also mumbai people??

Music / movies and save(backup)

Yes you can

but you cannot put game update data / psn game dloads / game installs on the external hdd

Music , movies and pics can be even streamed from external hdd and trailers from psn can even be directly downloaded to hdd

Saves can be backed up

And remember the hdd shoul be FAT32 not NTFS

Music / movies and save(backup)

Yes you can

but you cannot put game update data / psn game dloads / game installs on the external hdd

Music , movies and pics can be even streamed from external hdd and trailers from psn can even be directly downloaded to hdd

Saves can be backed up

And remember the hdd shoul be FAT32 not NTFS

thanks for the info bro :cheers:

mine HDD is NTFS though :fear:

and mumbai people plz suggest me some more shops :)

Archived