The Book Thread

Amay

TBH I like books. The physical aspect of it. I like the smell of a new one. The shininess of an unopened one. Like the weight of it when I am holding it. I like using a bookmark. Infact I like the fact that I am using the same dog eared bookmark for 3+ years now (its a Halo 3 launch postcard I swiped from a planet M). I like that I have a huge collection of them and I like looking at them and browsing through them.

Kindle would be nice. Infact if it was available legally here at a decent price I probably would have grabbed one already. But TBH I think it would mostly be for the novelty factor.

Anyway, started Nothing to Envy. Oryx and Crake is next.

well, I had or rather still have the exact same feelings that you have stated but the fact that books have taken up so much space in my rooms plus other storage prompted me to get the kindle. The only paper books i buy now are graphic novels.

Also Kindle is now available through indiaplaza in india

books have taken up so much space in my rooms plus other storage prompted me to get the kindle.

Space problem... getting rid of books is no fun either - I used to sell books off every year. Not only did I have to let go of books I liked, but I had to give them away to people who'd treat them as garbage. I wish I'd taken the time to donate them instead :(

You guys could be like me - buy the physical and electronic copies :D

I am a bibliophile and love physical books - but holding a Kindle makes life so much simpler. No broken spines, no dog ears, or getting books wet by accident. Fell in love with the screen first time I saw it.

Finished book 1 of the Mistborn trilogy - quite good. Started second one, got bored, and switched to The City & The City. Start off is interesting. There's a William Gibson vibe to the writing.

You guys could be like me - buy the physical and electronic copies :D

I am a bibliophile and love physical books - but holding a Kindle makes life so much simpler. No broken spines, no dog ears, or getting books wet by accident. Fell in love with the screen first time I saw it.

eh ?? you sure reading the book is all you are doing ?

btw, how is Terry Prachett ? saw a butt load of his books in om book store GIP. I have heard his name mentioned a lot, on the back it was written that he is a weird mix of tolkin and humor ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Flipkart !! love it yet sometimes i get mixed feelings :angry:, the latter because it makes it almost impossible to pick up a book in a store because all you remember is the awesome discounts offered by the website. Saw a badass batman anthology of long halloween hardcover at GIP, 3k. Almost picked it up but then i remembered flipkart offers 700 bucks ka discount.. There is a different feel in going to the book store and picking up things for ureself but monies is monies.

picked up this:-

4289194237_6ae47074a3.jpg

Edited by Nemo

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Flipkart !! love it yet sometimes i get mixed feelings :angry:, the latter because it makes it almost impossible to pick up a book in a store because all you remember is the awesome discounts offered by the website. Saw a badass batman anthology of long halloween hardcover at GIP, 3k. Almost picked it up but then i remembered flipkart offers 700 bucks ka discount.. There is a different feel in going to the book store and picking up things for ureself but monies is monies.

So effing true. Saw a bunch of Batman Absolute collections at Landmark, Ambience Mall. Was sooooo tempted to pick them but Flipkart :rant: Picked up a couple of books though :P

yo phats.. how is the book i picked ?? the may i hebb your attention pliss. I picked it cause i had to pick something after spending half an hour in the book store. the store people were looking at me suspiciously. I remember you liking the book so got it.

yo phats.. how is the book i picked ?? the may i hebb your attention pliss. I picked it cause i had to pick something after spending half an hour in the book store. the store people were looking at me suspiciously. I remember you liking the book so got it.

It's much better than many garbage-spewing Indie books out there. Good for light reading.

:cheers:

Finished reading Dostoevsky's 'The Idiot' (Garnett translation) and Taleb's 'The Black Swan' (not at all related to the film). The Idiot is possible my favourite piece of Russian Literature - as of now, I'm picking up Pushkin's 'The Captain's Daughter' soon - which, as per an intellectually superior friend, will replace 'The Idiot'.

Being Dostoevsky, the characters are expectantly wonderfully drawn, some being very Nietzschesque - survival of the fittest et al.

'The Black Swan' is alright.. possibly overrated and very, very disappointing because the thought behind the concept is quite intriguing. Taleb is arrogant and sarcastic with most of the statistics and most of his research basically has no underlining basis. The book feels like a drag; halfway through, it just feels the author is yammering words to fill up the remaining pages.

Oh and that Arnab Ray's book is pretty bad.

Edited by Commander Shepard

Finished nearly fifty percent of the second book of Songs of Fire and Ice and damn this series is good. Am totally loving all the power play going on in this book. I hate that Theon guy already though.. He has featured in 3 chapeters and he sucks monkey balls

Anyway, started Nothing to Envy. Oryx and Crake is next.

Finished this. Pretty much burned through it.

Amazing read though, even if it does get a little sloppy at times. DPRK is a f**ked up scary place.

Terry Pratchett is god - believe. The guy's brilliant - the humour is outstanding. And it's not just LOTR he's influenced by. I would say the influence is all of fantasy literature.

May I hebb your attention pls is great - it will especially reach out to late 20s / early 30s audience, since the author is from that genre. Some of the articles are great, some are poor. Worth picking up.

Well Oryx and Crake is very dull so far and quite pointless as well. Seems to be in no hurry to go anywhere.

Also picked up the pirated copy of The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank in Nehru place last week. What? Its not like she is gonna miss the book royalties. :P

Ordered David Markson's 'Wittgenstein's Mistress' after a friend recommended it.

I've never read Markson before which is unusual as I love reading weird stuff. Anyway, if anyone has read it or any other Markson's novel, I'd a love a short retrospective.