Guys, whats up with the Site / Forum URL

indyaan

Hi,

Just curious to know if there is any special reason to have the domain name in the frame and rest as IP address?

This is gonna hurt the rankings in search engines..

why not make it simple like? forums.IndianVideoGamer.com or something for the forum?

just my 2 cents...

cheers

Deep

Search engine wld show the main link thats IndianVideoGamer.com

n moreover searchengines wld work on keywords!

They link is redirected, so its showing the IP address!

hmm in both case the problem will be there - what you need to do is - just change the site URL in the admin of this forum to wiiindians.com or somehting

what i suggest is - make the default url as IndianVideoGamer as it's very popular and make other redirect to IndianVideoGamer (park them i.e.)

In current scenario - search engines will ignore the site simply as the urls are pointing to the IP address....

Just as Vineet to change the name servers of IndianVideoGamer to your current host's name servers and you are done (provided if you have already added the site on the new server)

Just let me know in case you need any tech help with server and all these things..

I hope it helps..

cheers

Deep

Okay..

First go to your host's website and find out their name servers..

then go to your hosting account and see if you have added IndianVideoGamer.com as main site or not...

If it has been added as the main site then go to following step:

go to Domain Control Panel

change the name servers to your host's name servers from the godaddy's nameserver

Come back to your admin panel of the forum - change the site URL to IndianVideoGamer.com/invision/ or for simple usage - i would prefer rename the directory invision to forum or forums and then change the path in config file of bulletin board to forum (or forums) instead of invision..

now whenever a user types in IndianVideoGamer.com - it will show - http://SITE-IP/~vkcsam/

but we want them to see index.php of forum right?

so create one file called index.php and put following code in it

<?php
header("Location:http://www.IndianVideoGamer.com/forum/index.php?act=home");
?>

Now above will redirect the user to forum/index.php?act=home

So this way - you dont have to send users to some IP address which is difficult to remember..

BUT if you have not set the main domain as IndianVideoGamer.com then you might have to change the current domain to that and then do the stuff.

Do let me know if you are confused about anything...

Deep

Ok the bottom link in the forum points to some host as Globat Web Hosting and TeamSpeak Server

Do you have access to control panel of any of these sites?

Or simply check the welcome mail which was sent when you have signed for hosting account package..

OK the hosting site's support page shows this info:

Primary DNS/Name Server: ns1.DNSjunction.com

Secondary DNS/Name Server: ns2.DNSjunction.com

some more info here

but before changing the name servers, just confirm what they have written in the welcome mail

Archived