PS3 FAQ

CarbonCore

Please read this FAQ before posting your doubts and queries.

What is the system's official name?

PlayStation 3.

When was the system officially unveiled?

Sony officially revealed the PlayStation 3 at the Electronic Entertainment Expo during its press conference on May 16th, 2005. The system and a prototype controller were shown along with various tech demos and game trailers, though most of the trailers were CG "approximations" of what developers were aiming their gameplay experiences to be like.

When was the system launched?

The PlayStation 3 launched first in Japan on November 11, 2006, with the North American release coming a mere six days later on November 17, 2006. The system was then released in Europe and Australasia on March 23, 2007.

What does the PlayStation 3 look like?

Like so:

2006166353258506620_rs.jpg

What ports and external connections does the PlayStation 3 have?

On the 20GB system, you'll find four USB 2.0 ports on the front of the system. On the back there are connectors for gigabit Ethernet, an optical audio output, HDMI output and an AV multi-out (which is exactly the same as found on the PS2). The 60GB system also includes inputs for Memory Stick, SD and Compact Flash cards inside a flip-up door on the front.

What happened to the dual-HDMI ports and three gigabit Ethernet connections that Sony hyped at E3 2005? Scratched! Dual-HDMI would be cool, but very, very few people would likely ever be able to use it, and most people never understood the triple-set of gigabit Ethernet ports to begin with, so as these were likely to be the least-used features, Sony cut them for cost reasons.

How is the SIXAXIS controller different from the PS2's Dual Shock 2 controller?

Its layout looks virtually identical to the Dual Shock 2, but there are some major differences. First, the SIXAXIS is wireless (via Bluetooth 2.0 technology) and the system supports seven controllers at once. Next, the L2 and R2 buttons are now triggers, making the button layout similar to that of the Xbox 360's controller. The triggers are wider and don't have as long of a throw, but it's a definite improvement over simple buttons.

The biggest addition is that the SIXAXIS features tilt technology that works with six-axis of freedom (roll, pitch, yaw, X, Y, Z). This means that it'll recognize any angle the controller is situated in, allowing you full 3D control over the orientation of an onscreen object. The first game shown utilizing this technology was Warhawk -- where rather than using the analog sticks to fly the ship, its yaw and pitch were controlled by simply tilting the controller.

The tilt feature comes at a price however, and thusly the PlayStation 3's controller does not feature the rumble technology found in the Dual Shock 2. However, Sony and Immersion have now come to an agreement regarding their long-running lawsuit so rumble may indeed make its way into a future revision of the controller, though no announcement has been made.

2004493657553230129_rs.jpg

What sort of battery life can we expect, and how is the SIXAXIS recharged?

The controller is charged via a mini-USB cable, the kind that most digital cameras accept. The PlayStation 3 ships with one of these cables in the box. The controller contains an internal, non-removable lithium-ion battery that lasts around 30 hours on a single charge.

How far is the controller's wireless range?

20 meters, or about 65 feet.

Are Dual Shock 2 controllers compatible with the PlayStation 3?

Not without some sort of adapter. Sony is no longer using the old controller ports and connectors, so the Dual Shock 2 isn't able to be plugged in directly. However, through use of a PS2 to USB adapter, you can use a Dual Shock 2 on the PlayStation 3 with little to no problem. It lacks the PlayStation button and tilt support, but otherwise it works fine.

Does the PlayStation 3 come equipped with a hard drive? How big is it?

Indeed. The system comes with either a 20GB or 60GB hard drive, allowing users to store downloaded content, saves, media and more. The drives are 2.5" Serial ATA HDDs, like you'd find in most laptops. Because of this, you're able to pop in any same-type drive you see fit and then simply format it from the PlayStation 3's Cross Media Bar.

What kind of optical disc drive does the system use?

The PlayStation 3 makes use of Blu-ray technology. Sony and Toshiba had been in talks to combine the competing Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats into a single standard, though those talks have been disbanded. The drive itself is slot-loading.

How fast is the Blu-ray optical disc drive?

Blu-ray technology transfers at 36Mbps at 1X speed, or about 4.5MB per second, and the PlayStation 3 will feature a 2X drive, so it will transfer data at 72Mbps or 9MB per second. It will read DVDs at 8X and CDs at 24X speeds.

Besides a hard disc and Blu-ray drive, what other sorts of storage options are supported?

Memory Stick (standard and Duo), SD and CompactFlash for starters. You can also use external USB drives, be it a Flash drive or even full-featured, powered drive, though some content can only be stored on the PlayStation 3's internal hard drive (like game demos, for instance).

There aren't any Memory Card slots on the system. Will PS2 / PS One saves be compatible in any way, or will we have to start our games all over again?

Sony has released a peripheral that allows users to copy their PS2/ PS One saves from a Memory Card to the hard drive. The hard drive contains space for "Virtual Memory Cards" that will mimic a hard Memory Card, and users will save PS2 and PS One games here. The Memory Card adaptor retails for $14.99.

What is the Cell?

The Cell processor was co-designed by IBM, Toshiba and Sony. Configurations can differ, but here's what the PS3's Cell chip will be like:

PowerPC-based Core @ 3.2GHz

7 SPEs @ 3.2GHz

512KB L2 Cache

7 x 256KB SRAM for SPEs

Basically, a single Cell processor is designed to act like multiple processors working together, or even independently. A Cell processor has a single PowerPC Architecture Unit (PAU) and multiple Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs). A Cell's PAU dolls out instructions to its various SPEs, which can then independently work on tasks. So for instance, one SPU might be programmed to run a game's AI while another handles physics. Since each one acts independently, multiple calculations can be done simultaneously. In other words, it's very powerful. In fact, it's powerful enough to perform 218 GFLOPS.

Who is supplying the hardware?

IBM, Toshiba and Sony are supplying the Cell processors, while NVIDIA is handling the graphics processor.

Tell me about the graphics chip...

NVIDIA's chip is codenamed RSX. The chip runs at 500MHz and is capable of rendering video natively at 1080p, or 1920x1080 progressively (non-interlaced). It's touted to hit 1.8 TFLOPS of floating point performance and can perform 100 billion shader operations per second, or 136 shader operations per cycle. The RSX uses 128-bit precision for enhanced color definition, making the system capable of High Dynamic Range rendering. Programming-wise, it's based on OpenGL and NVIDIA's CG language.

How much RAM does the PS3 have?

256MB of XDR Main RAM @ 3.2GHz and 256MB of GDDR3 VRAM @ 700MHz, or a total of 512MB for the entire system.

Will the PlayStation 3 output 16:9 or HD video?

Yes. In fact, the system will support resolutions up to and including 1080p. Yes, as in 1920x1080 progressive, not interlaced. 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i are, of course, also supported.

What sorts of video connections are available?

Composite, S-Video and component are all possible via AV cables, but for the best image quality the system also employs a built-in HDMI connection.

Are there still jaggies?

In some cases, though they're generally very slight and much less obtrusive than what we saw on the PlayStation 2. The high-def output of the system means that these pixels are very tiny to begin with, largely cutting down on this problem, and the ability to use anti-aliasing further reduces this side effect.

What sort of surround sound support does the PlayStation 3 feature?

For in-game audio, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS are all supported and processed by the Cell. However, keep in mind that since all the audio processing is done by the Cell, developers could use or create whatever audio codecs they desire. 7.1 channel support has already been implemented, but again, given developers' ability to program their own codecs, this may only be a starting point.

What kind of audio connections are available?

Analog stereo, optical audio and HDMI output.

Will the PlayStation 3 have camera functionality?

The PlayStation 3 will boast an HD IP (High-Definition Internet Protocol) Camera that's essentially the next generation of the EyeToy. Dubbed the PlayStation Eye, the new camera will capture images that match the same screen output as the PlayStation 3 and will work off an Internet address so that it can be used anywhere in the world for use in independent web-cam broadcasts.

The camera features a built-in microphone for easy voice chat and a dual-ratio lens that can provide a 56 or 75 degree view of its surroundings. It will ship during the summer of 2007 and come bundled with the EyeCreate software that allows users to cut and edit their own videos.

What sort of network connections are available? Does the system feature WiFi?

The PlayStation 3 features a gigabit Ethernet port, and the 60GB version also has 802.11b/g wireless functionality.

What companies are confirmed to be developing and publishing games for the PS3?

A good rule of thumb is that if they exist and they aren't Microsoft or Nintendo, they're onboard to create or publish PlayStation 3 games.

What titles were released during the North American launch window?

Check the official Playstation 3 website for latest list

Does the PlayStation 3 use the same network setup as the PlayStation 2?

No. The PlayStation 3's online service is similar in some ways, but Sony has and is still working on making its online aspect a much more feature-packed and cohesive experience. It features a friends list, text and video messaging, content downloads and more. It's a constantly evolving surface, and features and content changes from month to month and even week to week.

The PlayStation Network is, just as was the case with the PlayStation 2, an open and free network, meaning that companies are able to connect their own servers and run their own hosted games. It also means that the service is free for any and all to use, though certain downloads do cost money.

What about PlayStation Home?

Home will be a community and developer-driven hub that allows users to interact with other gamers in a virtual 3D world. After customizing an avatar, you will be placed into a 3D world where you can walk around and talk to other gamers, watch streaming videos, visit content hubs and more. Each user will get their own space, or apartment if you will, that you'll be able to customize to your liking. If you choose to, you'll be able to share your own content with others - a picture on the wall could contain an image from a vacation you went on, or a TV could display a streaming home movie, for example. Each user will also get their own trophy room, which will allow you to display awards that you've earned in games.

2005840814964716057_rs.jpg

When is Home launching?

Sony began a closed beta in May of 2007 and plans to launch the service sometime this fall.

How much will Home cost to use?

Nothing. Like most other features on the PlayStation Network, Home will be free. However, it's extremely likely that you will be able to spend real-world money on things like personalized clothing and items if you so choose.

What is the PlayStation Store?

The PlayStation Store is an online marketplace that allows you to download numerous types of content directly to your PlayStation 3 or PSP. Some content, like movie trailers and game demos, are free, while some downloadable games and add-on content cost money.

?compatible backwards it Is

Yes. The Japanese and North American PlayStation 3 is almost entirely compatible with PlayStation 2 and PSOne software thanks to some dedicated hardware built into the system. However, starting with the systems available at launch in Europe and Australasia, Sony has removed the hardware and shifted to software emulation. This means that the compatibility list has been cut down considerably, though future downloadable software updates will increase the number of titles that are supported. Sony has said that it plans on moving all of its future production to software-only solutions in April or May of 2007, including those sold in Japan and North America.

Does the PS3 upscale DVDs and/or PSone and PS2 games?

Yes. With the firmware update that brought the system to version 1.8, the PlayStation 3 became capable of scaling DVDs, PSone and PS2 titles to 720p, 1080i and 1080p. An HDMI connection to a TV with HDCP copy protection is required to upscale DVDs, but games will scale through a component output as well. The system offers a handful of options for the scaling, including the ability to smooth the image, which trades a bit of blurring for makeshift anti-aliasing. Note that the upscaling does not render the image in HD directly, but rather scales the output image, so there are still jaggies present. Games that support progressive scan (480p) will override the scaling when this feature is turned on.

Is the PlayStation 3 compatible with the PSP?

Indeed. You are able to use the PS3 to download content for the PSP via the PlayStation Store, and via the Remote Play option on the Cross Media Bar you're able to stream music and video from the PlayStation 3 to your PSP.

What ships with the package?

The PlayStation 3 packaging contains:

PlayStation 3 console

SIXAXIS wireless controller

AC cord

USB mini-cable (for charging the SIXAXIS controller)

Ethernet cable

Multi-AV cable with composite connectors

Note that the PlayStation 3 does not come with HD cables of any sort, be it component or HDMI. The main reason for this is obviously a matter of cost, but as the PlayStation 3 uses the same cables as the PlayStation 2, if you already have component cables for the PS2 they'll work with the PS3.

As a bonus for early adopters, the first 500,000 PlayStation 3s in North America shipped with a copy of Taladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby on Blu-ray. Interestingly, the movie wasn't released outside of this until December 12th, nearly a month after the system's launch.

What official accessories are available, and how much do they cost?

Additional SIXAXIS controllers are available for $49.99. The Memory Card adapter for transferring PSone/PS2 saves to the PlayStation 3 sells for $14.99. In December of 2006, Sony released a remote designed for playing Blu-ray content, which currently sells for $24.99.

Does Linux come pre-installed on the hard drive as Sony had previously stated?

No, but it is available for installation on your own. Terra Soft released its Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 in mid-November to coincide with the system's launch and is available for free via download. Some adventurous users have also gotten other flavors of Linux to install on the system, though these aren't currently supported by any official means.

Is the PS3 region-locked?

Technically speaking, yes, though Sony has said that it doesn't plan on region-locking games. It's possible that third-party developers may choose to do so, in which case they'll flag the disc as so in software, but PlayStation 3 games have so far been region-free. Movies, however, will be region-specific, and PlayStation 2 and PSone titles will still only be playable in their set region.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
is there any setting that makes the dualshock controller goto sleep/switch off automatically after X minutes of inactivity?

V

No. Having to switch off the controller is tedious each time you're watching a movie or downloading from psn.

Waiting for the next f/w update *fingers crossed*

Can anyone explain the PS3's warranty and is it actually worth picking one from here than from abroad ? [ Difference is too large almost 8-9k i think ]

I mean if my PS3 doesn't work today because of some random reason which even i don't know, will they be replacing the console or repairing it ? [ If i buy from here]

Also i think the battery in a DS2 and DS3 comes built in which means once the battery conks off, i will need to pick a new controller ? is that true

Suppose Sony replaces the DS2, will they replace it for an NTSC Console in India ?

How many of you own that BD remote ? and is it actually worth getting one ?

How long does the wireless controller last after a full charge and how much time does it take to recharge it ?

I am hoping the PS3 doesn't have an orientation problem like my 360 did which still doesn't eject in horizontal position ?

PS3 already comes with a wifi, does it support 802.11 a or only b/g or all the three ?

The games that are bought from here or abroad, do they come with any kind of warranty like MS offers a 90 days warranty i think with every game ?

The PS3 doesn't make any kind of noise right and it doesn't become as hot as the 360 ? all my consoles currently are in a very well ventilated place, more like on top of my table.

Hoping someone can clear my doubts before i jump in for another console :)

Thanks

I mean if my PS3 doesn't work today because of some random reason which even i don't know, will they be replacing the console or repairing it ? [ If i buy from here]

-- As of now sony india is completely replacing the console for any hardware issues [ If i buy from here].

I am hoping the PS3 doesn't have an orientation problem like my 360 did which still doesn't eject in horizontal position ?

-- No orientation problem whatsoever. Eject mechanism is built-in with no tray coming in/out.

How many of you own that BD remote ? and is it actually worth getting one ?

-- If you are going to use PS3 extensively for AV purposes then remote may come in handy. For $19 bucks it is worth for extensive AV usage otherwise DS2(SIX-AXIS) is just fine and with time all the usability hassel may be gone.

Also i think the battery in a DS2 and DS3 comes built in which means once the battery conks off, i will need to pick a new controller ? is that true

-- No. Baterries are built-in but replacable. Replacement baterries are available over ebay and pretty much do-it-urself to replace it. Much easier than replacing the hard drive actually.

ok that clears up lots of doubts.

Thx

I found out about the wireless. PS3's WiFi supports 802.11 b/g . I think it supports WEP and WAP but not WAP2 :/

Looks like i might have to use the ethernet then but its ok.

I think the warranty is definitely a big thing i guess since they replace the console. Lets see how much more i can come up with.

Can someone answer my last two questions i.e. about the warranty on the game and the whole noise and heat thing. Will the noise of a ps3 would be less than xbox360 or more and i am a casual gamer, i don't game more than an hour but some times i do game for two-three though. So should i be concerned about the heat thing ?

PS3 is less noisier than 360 and it does run cooler than 360 but thats because it spews out a lot of hot air from top and back vents. So I suggest you keep it in a well ventilated space.

About games, the blu-ray disks come with a kind of protective sheen over them, so you don't have to worry about disks getting scratched and become unreadable.

Just remember, console dying due to overheating and making noises like jet turbone, disks getting scratched, tray getting stuck etc are non-existing issues with PS3 :thumbsup: .

u absolutely wont hear any noise from the PS3 , unless u put ur ear next to it or during night if the tv is off.

my PS3 dint get hot even after 8 hrs of continuous gameplay, just the air around it felt warm. make sure it has enough open space around it for proper ventilation

Q> Icons of files under Video are not active. They just show a static image. How to make them active to show a snippet of the video?

A> Hook up an external hard drive or pen drive to the PS3. Copy all the video files onto the external HDD/pen drive. Delete all the video files on PS3. Copy the video files from external HDD/pen drive back to your PS3 and you are done. All the video files icon will show a small glimpse of the video.

Q> Icons of files under Video are not active. They just show a static image. How to make them active to show a snippet of the video?

A> Hook up an external hard drive or pen drive to the PS3. Copy all the video files onto the external HDD/pen drive. Delete all the video files on PS3. Copy the video files from external HDD/pen drive back to your PS3 and you are done. All the video files icon will show a small glimpse of the video.

better still, go to point where you want the small clip to start, pause the video, press triangle and there shd be an option

^^Another option would be to copy it on the PS3's hdd, and while playing the movie/trailer press the triangle button on the controller and choose icon mode. It will take a 15 secs preview of the video and you'll be able to see it in motion under "Video" in the XMB.

This is better coz we can choose the clip position to show up as icon. To make all the videos icons active together copy to n from external HDD can be used.

i didn't know this in video option, really. Thanks guys.

i was an 'okay regular' poster on the old forums but just never got down to posting here (you may remember me as the guy who posted that he had msg5 :sign_omg: typo :sign_omg: . Following is my problem all help is greatly appreciated:

I bought my ps3 from japan towards the end of 06.

it worked fine and i have been using it regularly.

two days ago it stopped reading discs for a bit but started reading them again. Yesterday it totally stopped reading any discs whatsoever. belive me when i say that i am unhappy.

how can I get it fixed?

i know Sony India cannot help, i called them up and they said that they only did straight replaces and only for those with the india warranty i.e. bought in india.

grey places like palika will be my last resort.

thanks.

Archived