waveking

MI5Rp71.jpg

Developer - StudioMDHR

Platforms - Xbox One, PC

Release - 2016

From their Blog : -

Cuphead is a classic run and gun game that centers around 1-on-1 fights (2-on-1 in two player mode).

With Cuphead, we aim to evolve the genre by adding new features such as: super arts, infinite lives, a playable world map and hidden secrets. In addition to that, we will have refined controls, additional boss patterns on harder modes and balanced weapons to equip (that you don’t lose!). We plan to release 10-15 bosses per episode and end up with over 30 bosses. If all goes as planned, we will defeat the current “Guinness World Record for Most Boss Battles in a Run and Gun Game”[25 total]).

When developing Cuphead we started with the basics - who knows this better than Shigeru Miyamoto. He set the standard for all 2D and 3D platformers and they are still a great formula for gameplay perfection. Knowing this, we’ve spent a lot of time fine tuning small details like hitboxes, screen movement, player control, weapon balancing, and a ton of small details that may go unnoticed by some.

cuphead-530.jpg

cuphead-6a.jpg

Cuphead_SuperDeath.png

Cuphead-TheGreatSlime.gif

Edited by waveking

So basically they are trying to capture the essence of oldies like popeye, mickey,etc. Really nice!

Yeah. Classic Disney cartoon art-style in a 2D shooter-platformer. Makes me wonder if there are any games that have even done it before (successfully).

Epic mickey on 3ds was on similar lines. It was really good barring the abysmally short game time. This however looks 100times better.

Heh. I remember when you put your 3ds on sale :P I almost bought it :| Been thinking of getting it for a while now.

Edited by waveking

Heh. I remember when you put your 3ds on sale :P I almost bought it :| Been thinking of getting it for a while now.

Dude I will highly recommend buying a 3ds. I already sold mine but I think I covered all really good games on it. Ocarina of time, kingdom hearts, mario 3dland and epic mickey. Totally worth it.

Though I didn't get to play luigis mansion.

Dude I will highly recommend buying a 3ds. I already sold mine but I think I covered all really good games on it. Ocarina of time, kingdom hearts, mario 3dland and epic mickey. Totally worth it.

Though I didn't get to play luigis mansion.

Yeah man. You don't need to sell me on it. Such a stellar line-up of games on it that it blows my mind. Handheld of forever IMO.

I think palika sells 3dsxl for 17k with a game bundled. Bit steep for my liking. I should have bought it from you when I had the chance. But I'm always skeptical with second-hand hardware so kinda hesitated :/

• 2 weeks later...

Cuphead Interview – 2D Run ‘N Gun Meets 1930s Cartoon Style

As far as gameplay is concerned, fans of classic run ‘n gun offerings will be pleased to learn about Cuphead‘s major inspirations. Chad pointed towards a slam dunk of a game from that old genre.

“I think Contra 3 is going to be one of the bigger inspirations,” he explained.

“We don’t have a strafe. Contra is already a very in-depth game. We’ve only kept the lock just like Contra 3. There’s no running around while aiming in the same direction. Even though that’s a bit more retro, it allows us to really fine tune bosses in knowing that fact. You can’t just aim diagonally up and run back and forth along the bottom of the screen to fight the boss, it has to be a bit more thought out.”

News that boss fights won’t be as simple as aim, shoot and dodge is exciting. But Chad also revealed an incoming mechanic. “Pretty soon we’re going to show the parry, a big part of the game, where all pink attacks can be parried. It’s kind of like a Street Fighter III parry, but you’ll only be able to parry in the air and you’ll be able to do multiple parries. It adds to your super bar, and you’ll use it to get out of certain situations.”

I asked Chad if all of this means that we’ll be getting an extremely difficult game. “We’ll put the difficulty that we really love in a New Game+ mode instead of right at the beginning. It seems a bit more fair for people who want to get into a run and gun.”

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...