State Assembly elections 2014

Banz

We'll be having 4 state assembly elections this year - Maharashtra, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir and Jharkhand. The poll dates for Maharashtra and Haryana are 15th October, and the results will be declared on the 19th. J&K and Jharkhand elections will take place later this year but the dates haven't been announced.

Over the last few days some unprecedented things have happened in Maharashtra. First Shiv Sena broke their 25 year long alliance with the BJP, followed by NCP breaking their alliance with the Congress. Before this happened Sena-BJP alliance looked set to win a majority and form a government in Maharashtra for the first time since 1995. But now they've all broken up so it is really impossible to predict what could happen. The MNS and the others will be major factors in some of the constituencies. Every constituency could have 5 good candidates and it's not easy right now to predict which way the scales will tip. We may end up with a situation with no 2 parties getting a majority together. Or maybe Shiv Sena and BJP will get over 50% of the seats and then come together to form the government.

Errrm... let's discuss.

Okay. Wasn't there an elections thread already on the forum.

Secondly. There is not so much of a discourse that will happen on politics as there will be constant praise for the BJP (and its allies) and scathing potshots at anything standing against them.

GIF

That was rather terse, blunt and direct.

There is not so much of a discourse that will happen on politics as there will be constant praise for the BJP (and its allies) and scathing potshots at anything standing against them.

But they split with their main allies. We could end up a situation where all major parties have 20-25% of the votes but no government can be formed.

Just vote for BJP.

But with 250+ seats they're stretching themselves too thin. No way they have that many worthy candidates. The same goes for all parties.

But they split with their main allies. We could end up a situation where all major parties have 20-25% of the votes but no government can be formed.

Look into the News Thread to see what has been happening if you do not believe me.

They split with their main allies, which means everyone would be scrambling to woo the independents / running away from them once the election results are out.

Okay. Wasn't there an elections thread already on the forum.

Secondly. There is not so much of a discourse that will happen on politics as there will be constant praise for the BJP (and its allies) and scathing potshots at anything standing against them.

Lol.

I like to see MH ruled by MNS and chiefed by Raj Thackeray. BJP doesn't have good leadership left in the state following demise of Mahajan and Munde.

If BJP gets the majority they should get Suresh Prabhu in their fold. He is one of the brightest politicos in India.

Lol.

I like to see MH ruled by MNS and chiefed by Raj Thackeray. BJP doesn't have good leadership left in the state following demise of Mahajan and Munde.

That is certainly not happening this time. Last time he contested for a few seats and managed to win in 13. This time he's contesting for more than 200 seats.

Lol.

If BJP gets the majority they should get Suresh Prabhu in their fold. He is one of the brightest politicos in India.

:lol: it would be a miracle if he even holds on to the seats that he already has. Any alliance with MNS means loosing out on elections of votes in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. Doubt BJP is that foolish enough to do that.

That is certainly not happening this time. Last time he contested for a few seats and managed to win in 13. This time he's contesting for more than 200 seats.

:lol: it would be a miracle if he even holds on to the seats that he already has. Any alliance with MNS means loosing out on elections of votes in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. Doubt BJP is that foolish enough to do that.

The most plausible scenario is BJP will get 100-120 seats and SS gets 50-70.

And they will form govt together.

But seeing how toothless these parties have been as opposition, i'd like MNS to come in.

The most plausible scenario is BJP will get 100-120 seats and SS gets 50-70.

And they will form govt together.

But seeing how toothless these parties have been as opposition, i'd like MNS to come in.

I doubt any single party is going to get 100 seats. But if anyone did it would be the BJP, I guess.

It seems he will be losing his seat in Kalyan rural. Ramesh Patil (MNS) was last time's aamdar but now Subhash Bhoir (Shiv Sena) is also fighting the election. Last time Bhoir was the MLA of Mumbra but resigned midway and left NCP.

MNS is destined to be an opposition party until they finally get a majority by themselves. They don't want to ally with anybody else and nobody else wants to ally with them. Even when they get the highest number of seats they can't make a government. :lol:

Last time in the KDMC elections, MNS got 26 seats (out of 108), Sena got 31. BJP, NCP and Congress together got only 39. Shiv Sena + BJP had only 40 out of the 108 seats.

Shiv Sena just got the support of the independent corporators (there were 21 of them) and went on to make the government.

There would be a clear split of votes between NCP and Congress. Congress is going to lose bigger than NCP.

MIM coming to foray means more split in the votes in certain burroughs.

The traditional votebank for BJP and SS will go towards BJP than SS, since Uddhav isn't even half as leader as Bal Thackeray was. And Modi will spin Gujjus to his side like in LS.

But there is one reason I don't want BJP to get majority is that BJP wants Vidarbha. Dividing states just for fulfilling political ambitions for certain leaders like Phadanvis is something I totally oppose.

There would be a clear split of votes between NCP and Congress. Congress is going to lose bigger than NCP.

MIM coming to foray means more split in the votes in certain burroughs.

The traditional votebank for BJP and SS will go towards BJP than SS, since Uddhav isn't even half as leader as Bal Thackeray was. And Modi will spin Gujjus to his side like in LS.

But there is one reason I don't want BJP to get majority is that BJP wants Vidarbha. Dividing states just for fulfilling political ambitions for certain leaders like Phadanvis is something I totally oppose.

MIM is just a hate group. They won't get a single seat.

How the votes split between Sena and BJP will depend on the contituency. Uddhav is nowhere close to Balasaheb, but there so many places that are traditional Shiv Sena strongholds. BJP candidates that stand there aren't going to steal any of the votes.

The state government cannot decide whether or not Vidarbha becomes a different state. That is the Parliament's job.

Article 3 of the Constitution states that the Parliament can form new states by partitioning an old one, or alter boundaries as per their whims. They do not have to send it to the state government for ratification.

This is what India looked like just before independence. None of those states exists in the same form today.map-1947.jpg

MIM will split votes, great news cuz they will divide votes meant for Con/NCP/SP. :P

Hope they contest UP polls too in future. ;)

If BJP rakes up Vidarbha demand they are best positioned ti do it. But they will do it only if they win in MH otherwise it will be messy as it was in Telangana.

BTW Nagpur weather is total sh*t, not a capitol city worthy.

Amen to that. Nagpur weather is worst. My home town so I know. I haven't visited Nagpur in summer since I got to Pune, probably never will. Its f**king horrible. And don't want a new state too.

Nagpur used to be the capital city of Madhya Pradesh before Vidarbha joined Maharashtra.

Smaller states are easier to govern and a lot of the development in the larger states is only concentrated in a few pockets. But I won't support dividing of states for personal political gains.

This Pune weather is weird. I was expecting it to be much cooler, but it's hot. Or is it because it's October? When are we going to see the famous Pune cool weather?

Archived