Official Wii-U Thread

Some Details On the Wii U’s Graphics Chip

Some specific details on the graphics chip powering the upcoming Wii U console have been reportedly obtained by Japanese site Game Impress Watch, who say that while it's running on "old" hardware, it still packs more of a punch than its current competition.

While the exact name and nature of the Wii U's GPU are under wraps, according to AMD insiders the site reports that the chip at the heart of it is similar to the R770 unit found on existing, "outdated" cards from around, say, 2009.

It'll also support Direct X 10.1, and interestingly considering the "two screens maybe" line being trotted out at E3, is capable of beaming up to four standard definition streams of the console's content.

While the GPU may be "old", and the Direct X not capable of going (literally) all the way to 11, remember that the Xbox 360's hardware is even older, and for the most part it can't go past Direct X 9.

Wii U unlikely to 'dramatically outperform' PS3, Xbox 360 - Nintendo

Wii U is unlikely to "dramatically outperform" PS3 and Xbox 360, according to Shigeru Miyamoto.

Discussing the difficult balancing act between launching a powerful yet affordable console, the Nintendo design legend told GameSpot: "We're very sensitive to pricing because people have generally only a certain amount of their spending that they'll devote to entertainment.

"But at the same time, you have these technological advances, and you have the needs of being able to take advantage of that technology, and those result in increasing costs and things like that."

He continued: "So when you look at what we're trying to do this time, which is I think maybe to a certain degree somewhat reckless, because we're trying to include this somewhat kind of tablet-like device - this controller with the screen. We're trying to do that by finding the right balance between the CPU and the GPU, the graphics processor, and bringing all of that together with the ability to take advantage of the HD capabilities of the system, and wanting to do the most that we can on that front as well.

"We're very sensitive, of course, to trying to do all of this at an appropriate price. So I don't know that we would be able to sit here and say that it's going to necessarily dramatically outperform the systems that are out now. It's part of the balance that we strike in terms of trying to find entertainment that is new and unique."

Nintendo isn't ready to open up about its Wii U pricing strategy, but president Satoru Iwata has said you won't be getting the new console on the cheap.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/308362/news/wii-u-unlikely-to-dramatically-outperform-ps3-xbox-360-nintendo/

Miyamoto speaks his mind

Miyamoto takes the stage at Nintendo's E3 media briefing.

GameSpot: Let's start with the 3DS. We got to see a lot of content announced. Some of it is titles that we are familiar with, and some of it is new. Has there been a philosophy or a direction that Nintendo is taking in bringing titles to the 3DS?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Well, I'm really seeing a couple of different tendencies in 3DS software, and one is that the system itself is, I think, a great system, where games that we've released in the past can be remade and really take on new meaning, and there are new ways to make them fun. But on the other hand, at this point, what we're also looking at of course is creating new installments in existing franchises. And so that's, I think, where the system is right now.

GS: So speaking of existing franchises, if you were going to make another Pikmin game, would it be on the 3DS or the Wii U? Any preference? (Editor's note: This interview was conducted before the Nintendo Roundtable event at which Miyamoto confirmed the new Wii U Pikmin project.)

SM: I'm trying not to talk about Pikmin too much. [laughs] If I leak it in an interview, then I'll have an issue. But, yeah, we're still working on a Pikmin game, and we have been for quite a while. When you look at [the Wii U] hardware, it's almost such a perfect fit for Pikmin that you would ask, "Why wouldn't you make it for this hardware"?

GS: That is my question.

Pikmin will make its long-awaited return on the Wii U.

SM: If we were to try to take what we've been working on for Wii and finish it, it would still take us some time to do that. So we're probably going to be looking at putting it on the Wii U instead.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6320234/e3-2011-miyamoto-speaks-his-mind

@playstation: Do not post entire articles or interviews from another site. You can post a few lines of extract and link to the original article. Reproducing entire text can be viewed negatively by those that published the original article.

@playstation: Do not post entire articles or interviews from another site. You can post a few lines of extract and link to the original article. Reproducing entire text can be viewed negatively by those that published the original article.

oh okay. Will keep that in mind. :good:

Do not post entire articles or interviews from another site. You can post a few lines of extract and link to the original article. Reproducing entire text can be viewed negatively by those that published the original article.

:O Is that a new rule? Because I and many others do that too. If yes then let everyone know as many people wont visit this thread.

:O Is that a new rule? Because I and many others do that too. If yes then let everyone know as many people wont visit this thread.

Its not new. We have advised members about this many times before, but some folks are either too new or keep forgetting.

We have advised members about this many times before, but some folks are either too new or keep forgetting.

I dont know about old or new members, but I have posted such stuff on many many occasions, and no-one warned me, even after many admins and mods posted in same topic.

I dont know about old or new members, but I have posted such stuff on many many occasions, and no-one warned me, even after many admins and mods posted in same topic.

Now I know why Zodka nvr write whole of the article from the site

Wii U unlikely to 'dramatically outperform' PS3, Xbox 360 - Nintendo

Not that its surprising but if thats true then everyone is gonna have a problem including Nintendo. Even people who dont buy a Wii U will end up getting affected by that.

• 2 weeks later...
Zelda Wii U Might Not Resemble the E3 Demo - Nintendo

In an interview with Wired, The Legend of Zelda series producer, Eiji Aonuma, admitted that while the demo shown at E3 for Wii U that showcased a HD Link fighting an equally HD spider might have stirred excitement in fans, it's definitely not indicative of what he and his team might deliver for Link's debut on Nintendo's new console.

"You probably remember that when we introduced the GameCube, we showed a somewhat realistic Zelda demo,” he told Wired. “And what we actually created was the cel-shaded Wind Waker. So when we show a graphic demo, people think, "Oh, this is what the next Zelda will look like", but that’s not necessarily the case."

I specifically do remember that GameCube Zelda video, as I was there at Nintendo Spaceworld 2000 in Japan - the room went into a frenzy when it was shown, but apparently that's still not enough to push a fully realised adult HD Zelda title out of the door (much to the chagrin of most Zelda fans).

"I’m on one of the committees that oversaw the general steering and direction," Aonuma told Wired, regarding his Wii U involvement. "We talked to each other a lot about several elements, one of which was, "How exactly will the HD graphics work?" In doing concepts for that... we used Zelda assets quite often to examine, okay, how real will we make this look?”

When asked if any Zelda title would ship with the functionality shown at E3 that saw Link's arsenal, inventory and map all readily available on the controller, he responded simply with "I’d like to do things that are more surprising than that".

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3080843

:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
Naughty Dog: Nothing Wii U has that PS3 and Vita don't

NewsPosted 14/07/2011 - 1:42pm GMT+1

Developer still interested to see how people use the Wii U.

Uncharted developer Naughty Dog has given its opinion on the Wii U. While seemingly interested in the new Nintendo console, according to game director Justin Richmond, the PS3 and Vita have everything the Wii U does.

"To be honest with you, the idea of it is very, very cool. But there's nothing that the Wii U has that the Vita and PS3 doesn't," Richmond told NowGamer. "You know, it's an interesting piece of technology, and I'm interested to see how people use it.

"I'm not completely sold yet. That the screen isn't multi-touch, that's a little weird," he added. "It seems there are some very strange holes in it, but to be fair, last time I was sceptical of the original Wii, and look at how that did. I'm sure that the games they make for Wii U will be amazing."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/naughty_dog_nothing_wii_u_has_that_ps3_and_vita_dont.html

Archived