Starhawk

Karooo

• 2 weeks later...

Starhawk: Limited Edition and Box Art Revealed

GDwZi.jpg

wkSof.jpg

This Limited Edition comes with over $20 worth of bonus content, including two DLC packs that contain new maps and multiplayer skins, plus sweet extras like the soundtrack and a psn download of original warhawk from PSone.

Starhawk Limited Edition Contents

• Maw of Despair Outcast Pack
    : Includes the Maw of Despair Co-op Map and Shade Warrior MP Skin

This challenging co-op mission takes place deep beneath the planet's surface in a particularly dangerous Rift mine. The Maw of Despair is home to the oldest Outcast tribe, the Shade Warriors. The heart of each Shade Warrior blazes with pure Rift energy, granting them extra toughness and combat ability. The firefights you'll encounter in the Maw of Despair co-op mission will push your shooting skills to the edge!

• Echo Scrapyard Rifter Pack
    : Includes the Scrapyard Homeworld and Huxley Ardin MP Skin

An exclusive player Homeworld, the Echo Scrapyard features Huxley's mechanics shop and junkyard — known throughout the Frontier as
    the
    best place in the Frontier for Rifters to get spare parts for their Razorbacks and Sidewinders. And in the canyon basin below, Huxley's shop is a network of roads and trails for players to hone their own Razorback 4×4 and Sidewinder Jetbike driving skills.

• Starhawk Concept Art PS3 Theme
    : Decorate your PS3 with the amazing concept art that help bring the Starhawk Universe to life. Only available through the Starhawk Limited Edition.

• Copy of the Original Warhawk (PSone)
    : Download and play the title that started it all!

• Official Starhawk Soundtrack
    : Christopher Lennertz's sweeping original score available as a PSN download.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any one buying the game? I loved the beta. It would be awesome to have a good SH community going at IVG.

yeah buying.. buying with few other old kz2 chums as well.. Separate Clan thread will also be up this weeek :devil:

BTW.. have u mastered the hawk? :fear: Or u a ground trooper?

Reviews coming are good.... impressed with the following in terms of MP... Clans :wub:

Multiplayer:

Obviously, this is the meat of the game, and it doesn't disappoint. In a couple of instances, Starhawk even sets a new standard for console online features.

First-up is the co-op mode. This allows 4 players to play scenarios on a number of maps in something that I would consider a huge leap past the standard "horde mode" that we've seen in numerous games over the last couple of years. You and 3 others, AI or an actual human, are tasked with 6 waves of randomly generated enemy attacks, but fortunately you have the Build & Battle system at your disposal. I only played with AI partners, but unlike all of the Horde Modes etc, I actually enjoyed this. First off, there's an actual end in sight instead of wave after wave until you ultimately fail. Second, every time you play it's different, since the system randomizes the attacks waves. After time, I'm sure there are only so many combinations, but it's a great addition that's been well thought out.

Online play itself is definitely what you'd expect, and then some! The game supports up to 32 players online, offering 5 environments with 2 layouts each. 4 modes are available at launch: Capture the Flag, Zones (like Conquest,) Deathmatch, and Team Deathmatch. Warhawk players will feel a familiarity, but there is a lot that has changed. Even though there are a couple of items strewn across the environment (mines, repair tools etc), weapons aren't found laying all over the place. Instead, you use the Build & Battle tech to drop a supply bunker or sniper tower to get specific weapons. The benefit is that people won't steal weapons out from under your feet, the downside is that if you get stuck out in the middle of nowhere, weapons are quite scarce. Along with the option for a quick match, there's a full server browser with filtering options, which again is relatively rare for a console game.

Some strategies that you may have used in Warhawk will definitely need to be altered, especially since bases aren't usually walled-in. This negates the idea of trying to strategically lay mines at specific entry points. You now need to build the walls where needed, and cover the gaps with turrets and the occasional mine (you only get 3 mines per pickup now, and they're much easier to spot.) Your default machine gun is actually pretty good, but there's no lock-on any more, and spray-and-pray works even less now (short bursts soldier!)

You can still play in any way that you want. During a lengthy play session, I actually toyed with attacking in a CTF match, but I soon found that I did what I usually do in Warhawk, and that is defend the flag. At their core, the modes are similar, but what changes everything is Build & Battle, and it's extremely easy to use, but takes thought and teamwork to use it effectively. Per team, there is a 32 structure limit, so you don't need 3 supply bunkers, 2 vulture stations, and 4 Razorback garages. Be smart about what you build and where, and you can be unbeatable. Something that I immediately noticed even in the beta is that there are hundreds of effective strategies, and that's ultimately what makes this game so great. In Warhawk, many matches that end in a 0-0 tie in CTF now, because everyone has figured out how to defend the flag perfectly. I just don't see that happening in Starhawk simply because there will always be a Ying to someone else's Yang in competing strategies.

In terms of server setups, clan support, and even tournament features, this game is deep! There are 10 pre-built object configurations that you can use, some only allowing vehicle builds with others that don't allow beam weapons or gun turrets. Map and mode rotations are also what you would expect with the Warhawk pedigree, with the interface even easier to use.

Server options are incredibly deep for a console game. Along with the standard fare like being able to randomize the teams, team balance, split-screen, and even All-Talk, the clan and tournament system is truly impressive. Setting-up a clan is very easy to do, and inviting members just as easy. You can have more than one officer, but still no word on the member cap. Along with an integrated calendar system, the server setup has the ability to lock a server down using clan names, perfect for setting up clan matches. Stats are available for any of the past clan battles right in the clan interface, along with News and Leaderboards.

Also, instead of using the boring old lobby system, teams can instead meet-up in one of two Multiplayer Homeworlds (one map for each faction) that allows everyone to meet in the game, plan strategies, try new ideas, or just screw around. On top of that, every Environment/Layout is available for practice, allowing you to invite friends or clan members in without it appearing on the server list. This is huge for clans that compete in tournaments or leagues, and it's definitely something that I've never seen on a console game (no idea if another game does this, but I've never seen it.) They also made an in-game messaging system for clan communications, and with the upcoming mobile app, clans and their members are gong to have an unprecedented amount of access to each other without having to make major shifts to their PSN Friends list.

IGN

Playstation Universe

Meristation

GameTrailers

Playstation Official Magazine UK

GamesRadar

GamingXP

Game Informer

PlayStation LifeStyle

Game Revolution

Metro GameCentral

Machinima

Guys you can count me in. Nothing came close to the clan community and loyalty we had in KZ2, i have a feeling this game will do that. Im getting the game in a week. Count me in Danny!

And I like ground, but Im ok in the hawk as well. Though honestly I suck at the game.

Archived