3D TV for PS3 - Active vs Passive

LaughingMan777

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi

Need your technical advice on buying a 3D tv. I'm preferring passive cos of the obvious issues with active lenses.

Does the LG passive 3DTV support PS3 (or vice versa)? Anyone bought one yet?

Do all 3D games play on passive 3DTV? COD Black Ops had some warning which didn't make much sense to me.

Have you seen any visible difference between active and passive 3D?

Hi

Need your technical advice on buying a 3D tv. I'm preferring passive cos of the obvious issues with active lenses.

Does the LG passive 3DTV support PS3 (or vice versa)? Anyone bought one yet?

Do all 3D games play on passive 3DTV? COD Black Ops had some warning which didn't make much sense to me.

Have you seen any visible difference between active and passive 3D?

I read a few posts on hifivision forums where people have played their ps3 games on LG passive 3dtv, and they say it plays perfectly. Personally, after a lot of research, even I am more inclined towards passive 3d technology. As for the resolution differences, 'almost everyone' who has experienced both technologies say that the difference is minimal and to infact both look almost same. So the difference is more in theory than in reality.

I THINK PS3 WILL NOT WORK WITH LG passive 3DTV BUT NOT 100% SUR .THE THING IS I TRIED TO CONNECT PS3 TO LG passive 3DTV IN THE SHOWROOM AND IT DID NOT WORK THEN I BOUGHT SAMSUNG 51INCH 3D PLASMA (69K)

• 3 weeks later...

I THINK PS3 WILL NOT WORK WITH LG passive 3DTV BUT NOT 100% SUR .THE THING IS I TRIED TO CONNECT PS3 TO LG passive 3DTV IN THE SHOWROOM AND IT DID NOT WORK THEN I BOUGHT SAMSUNG 51INCH 3D PLASMA (69K)

I have read numerous posts on hifivision forums abt people playing their ps3 games on this tv. I can say it with utmost assurity that the games work perfectly on the LG passive 3dtv (LW5700 to be precise). Though there are issues with the refresh rate for games :fear:

• 4 months later...

Finally bought a 42' LG LW5700 which is passive 3D!!!! PS3 games....specially UC3 looks AWESOME in 3d!!!!! As for resolution, I did not notice any drop in resolution!!!! I think when the 3d mode converts the two lesser resolution pictures in to one single picture the final result is a full HD image :)

n00b question & out of the topic. :fear:

i have denon AVR1910 with out 3D support

if i buy 3D tv, will this combo wont work i.e PS3 with 3DTV via AMP denon1910?????

pls suggest :fear:

n00b question & out of the topic. :fear:

i have denon AVR1910 with out 3D support

if i buy 3D tv, will this combo wont work i.e PS3 with 3DTV via AMP denon1910?????

pls suggest :fear:

Does denon 1910 have 3d passthrough??? (sorry....too lazy to check it out). If not, then it would not work!

Even for ps3 to 3dtv....ul need hdmi 1.4 cable.

• 4 weeks later...

So I was looking for a query like this to share my insights. 4 months back my dad bought me a LG LW5600 (42") LED 3D TV. Since then my life has changed(LOL). My dad has Sony 40" LED 3D in his room and I have compared both of them understanding passive vs active difference. Here are some differences I found:-

1) LG comes with non electric polarised glasses which are way too light. And they cost only 600 bucks.

2) The 3D in LG is amazing with great pop and sink in 3D. Watch any IMAX on it and you would rubbing your eyes with astonishment. :wOOtjumpy: In Sony firstly wearing those glasses is such a bummer, you can always see the middle frame of the glasses distracting and the 3D depth is also not equivalent to LG.

3) LG supports all the video file formats except for a few like rmvb. This turns out so nice coz within two seconds my tv detects the 500 Gigs drive I plug in and play movies from. It is faster than the comp also if I must say. In Sony it is hilarious. It doesnt detect any thing with more than 8 to 9 files in it, forget a whole drive & it hardly plays any video formats except for mp4. What it doesnt support are rmvb, mkv, avi, etc.

4) Since we got the Sony tv first, I use to play on PS3 in 3D on tv. The resolution did not drop down but there was lots of ghosting. I had to keep my head still and pre decide a position before any viewing otherwise ghosting would occur. Since the time, I have got LG, 3D looks better with no ghosting at all, I can sit anywhere I want thanks to good viewing angles.

5) Plus, the Simulated 3D which is converting 2D to 3D is also way better on LG. I tried a few PS3 games with simulated 3D and they had more depth compared to Sony(tried both the same games on Sony with simulated 3D)

6) Sony also gave me sore eyes after playing KZ3 for an hour.

7) If you wanna check out yourself try playing a SBS(Side by side) file on both the tv and putting them on 3D mode. The difference will be huge in terms of depth and the impact on the viewers eyes.

8) LG also comes with motion controller and a sensor which is novelty coz I think the normal remote is fine.

9) To sum it up, I did lot of research before buying my first tv whereas my dad was taken over by the branding of Sony. In the end, all he wants is to swap both of them. :exoticdance:

• 2 weeks later...

another noob question.. does this tv support xbox 360?

i tried reading up on the technology but im now more confused than ever :huh: is this tv able to convert everything into 3d? i mean can i play any game on pc in 3d using this monitor or does the game have to suport 3d mode? same question incase of xbox too :)

Archived