Batman: Arkham Origins

cat

i will say it again. an open world batman game will suck a*s either by not being a proper sandbox or if it is indeed that, it would compromise on being a true batman game.

open world games are fun if you have-

1) a morally ambigous character who will provide fun by causing mayhem. gta, just cause, saints row.

2) a super powered character who you can use to do cool stuff with, exploring the city. spiderman, infamous, protptype.

batman aint gonna blow up buildings and make roadkills out of hookers and the only way he is going to navigate around gotham is by batmobile or grapple hook which is far monotonous than web swings, superhuman parkour or just plain flying.

batman is essentially a spy-ninja and there is a reason why great games of that genre are all linear.. from mgs to thief.

batman aint gonna blow up buildings and make roadkills out of hookers and the only way he is going to navigate around gotham is by batmobile or grapple hook which is far monotonous than web swings, superhuman parkour or just plain flying.

The levels can remain the same linear stuff we have been playing. But Ninja or not, Batman has to reach the crime locations, right? An open world game will allow gamers to do that. Imagine sitting in Batcave, you track the entire Gotham Map, then select the areas of crime, start your Batmobile/Batwing/bike and rush to that area? Batman does that in comics too, right? Or we can climb the roof tops, making sure we are not detected, just like Batman does in comics. He doesn't magically appear on crime scene. Then once we reach that area, the linear part will kick in like Arkham Asylum or AC.

The levels can remain the same linear stuff we have been playing. But Ninja or not, Batman has to reach the crime locations, right? An open world game will allow gamers to do that. Imagine sitting in Batcave, you track the entire Gotham Map, then select the areas of crime, start your Batmobile/Batwing/bike and rush to that area? Batman does that in comics too, right? Or we can climb the roof tops, making sure we are not detected, just like Batman does in comics. He doesn't magically appear on crime scene. Then once we reach that area, the linear part will kick in like Arkham Asylum or AC.

Though I don't think this will happen , just imagine if this has day/night cycle and you switch between Bruce/Bats ( something like Sam Raimi's Spidey 2 did back on the Xbox/PS2 during the sidequests and some mains ) in the manor. Switch between the limitless collection of exotics in the garage or the B'mobile / Wing / Cycle in the cave. It opens a WHOLE lot of freedom in the character's depth they can show to the player in various aspects such as side missions requiring both bruce & bats to complete , Training of Bruce ( perhaps even with Ducard depending on the timeline ) where new movesets can be unlocked for the combat something like True Crime : Streets OF L.A. , working with Fox in the R&D wing on new gadget prototypes/upgrades instead of getting them directly by game progression/XP , Infiltrating the Falcone/Maroni family as Bruce while detective work as Bats and so on.

That said I still think we'll get to play as Bruce in this game a lot , and given the appropriate timeline , the trio of Crane / Hush / Firefly / & some Croc , Ra's , Ivy leading the rogues gallery with others being involved as well.

Though I don't think this will happen , just imagine if this has day/night cycle and you switch between Bruce/Bats ( something like Sam Raimi's Spidey 2 did back on the Xbox/PS2 during the sidequests and some mains ) in the manor. Switch between the limitless collection of exotics in the garage or the B'mobile / Wing / Cycle in the cave. It opens a WHOLE lot of freedom in the character's depth they can show to the player in various aspects such as side missions requiring both bruce & bats to complete , Training of Bruce ( perhaps even with Ducard depending on the timeline ) where new movesets can be unlocked for the combat something like True Crime : Streets OF L.A. , working with Fox in the R&D wing on new gadget prototypes/upgrades instead of getting them directly by game progression/XP , Infiltrating the Falcone/Maroni family as Bruce while detective work as Bats and so on.

That said I still think we'll get to play as Bruce in this game a lot , and given the appropriate timeline , the trio of Crane / Hush / Firefly / & some Croc , Ra's , Ivy leading the rogues gallery with others being involved as well.

+1

.Completely True Mate....The Scope of the game gets widened by a huge scale and i do agree with ur point abt Spidey 2 when there were some small seperate sequences

I am quite sure that will have to be implemented....

@ AnK

Games are set at night for a reason. Batman does not operate in day time AT ALL. To have day light would mean having to play with Bruce wayne and like you said, there are limitations to explore that potential.

Best thing would be to have a limited open-ness, like Ambar wrote, with linear missions and driving around and/or rooftop hopping to reach there.

Best thing would be to have a limited open-ness, like Ambar wrote, with linear missions and driving around and/or rooftop hopping to reach there.

And add some random street crimes in alleys if the want, like those Political Prisoner missions in AC. If done right, the game would be epic.

f**k NO. I know you guys love GTA but putting GTA in everything is a BIG FAT NO! free-roaming in every game is not a good idea. I love open world games like RPGs, FC3, AC too but I don't every game to be like this.

Also, for the record both Spiderman 1 and 2 (PSone games which didn't have open-world environment) were amazing games while all the free roaming spidey games sucked.

f**k NO. I know you guys love GTA but putting GTA in everything is a BIG FAT NO! free-roaming in every game is not a good idea. I love open world games like RPGs, FC3, AC too but I don't every game to be like this.

Also, for the record both Spiderman 1 and 2 (PSone games which didn't have open-world environment) were amazing games while all the free roaming spidey games sucked.

About the Spidey games, that's your opinion. A lot of people (myself included) enjoyed Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man and Web Of Shadows. If any superhero really needs an open-world environment it's Spider-Man. You can't really do his powers justice in a closed environment. The PSOne games were limited by tech.

Anyway, it's your preference but saying something outright "sucked" when clearly a lot of others enjoyed it is kind of mean. I hated GTA IV but I'm sure many loved it and it does have it's merits. It just wasn't for me.

As for Batman I think a semi-open world is the way to go, something like Zelda/Darksiders. Large environments connected by an overworld. AC was somewhat like that but I sorely missed the metroidvania aspects of AA in AC. I would also like better collectibles this time. AA nailed collectibles and had a decent number of them. Collecting them was fun and sufficiently challenging. But they went overboard with the Riddler Challenges in AC. Too many different types of collectibles and the map was full of them. It just got tiresome towards the end. I gave up after collecting about 80% of them. It's a damn shame because I really wanted to complete the Riddler arc.

Although I'd love to see a fully open world Batman game where you get to explore all of Gotham. AC may have been open-world (ish) but pretty much the entire area was hostile. Batman was always attacked on sight. I'd like a game where you actually get to roam around Gotham and solving random crimes. Also I'd like to see more investigation elements.

Now this is a bit of a personal nitpick, as much as I like the art design in these games, it can be toned down a notch. At times it reminded me of the horrendous Joel Schumacher movies, especially in AC (too much neon and blue). Something like TAS would be great. In fact my dream Batman game would be an open world game done in the TAS style.

Are some of you even serious ? People mention about widened sandbox because the Arkham games ARE and the expectations would only double on every sequel , let alone nextgen. Each and everyone were whining at the time when Rocksteady revealed that there wouldn't be a Batmobile to drive in AC. Obviously that would be a key in the sequel / chronological prequel. My entire post , having CLEARLY mentioned that it wouldn't be possible as some are far fetched for even nextgen console standards , was regarding how I wanted to see Bruce and Bats having 2 separate persona. That way a developer like RS can have the potential freedom for a deep narrative through the gameplay as well. Something like Year One yet again , but only leagues above where Nolan could even imagine in cinema.

The playstation games ? Yeah , let me mention Maximum Carnage , Spider-Man & The X-men on the Mega Drive 2 , Ultimate Spider-Man , Raimi's Spidey 1 & 2 ( sandbox and considered one of THE BEST ever made by fans and gamers alike. ) and call Enter Electro utter garbage. Does that sound cool and like a fact ? No , because it's an opinion. Everybody has one. If the PS360 had existed back in 99-2K , I'm pretty sure Neversoft would've gone for MOST biggest open ended Spidey title possible because he's a character tailormade for the genre , so is Batman. Give a choice to the comic book fans / fans of superhero games on whether they prefer to go from point A to B > trigger cutscene > save civvies in a bank job > encounter sub boss > meet ally npc > go to warehouse > beat thugs > go from point A to B > rinse repeat > final boss with 3 formations or leave them swing seamlessly on the whole big apple/gotham to leave every main and side quest at their disposal. You know they'd choose the latter. I can go on and on on how I love Sunsoft's Batman on the NES/SNES/MG way more than both the arkham games combined , but this is THE way forward because of hardware and also because the community is in head over heels love with it for WB Games to cash in.

Dude gta is hated by a certain ppl like u not because it is sand box or open world

But cause comparatively it's quite slow & takes it's time to progress in story or gameplay

So u'r disliking is not really a sandbox but a slow game which sacrifices fun & speed for realism & character building

As I said Arkham City is already sand box like far cry but in no means slow as gta

NO. Its just that I don't like GTA type sandbox. I respect other's opinion who like it. I also didn't like any of tge game which has GTA type free-roaming. Arkham City was sandbox but not even close to GTA standards. It was a*s Creed, FC type sandbox environment. Thus genre is quite confusing actually and hard to explain.

Also, I am yet to see a single person ( apart from myself lol) who didn't like any of the GTA game. Hating one or two games because of some negatives is fine but i don't think they hate the series. Its the most loved and widely accepted series i've ever seen either casual gamers or hardcore gamers. I personally don't like GTA.

@ty - fair enough. I guess free roaming with restrictions is the way to go just like Arkham City. People just try to put GTA in everything. They need to understand that linear games are fun too.

Archived