The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Aftrunner

Although, it doesnt offer much in terms of protection, i really love the hoodie armour...

wSkYQ.jpg

I usually end up using the better looking armor even if I have other armors with better stats... unless I get into trouble.

BTW 1.1 patch should be up today and I've also downloaded a few mods (mostly just minor tweaks). Will be starting my second playthrough as soon as the patch hits.

^^ That part kinda sucks.

You need to buy the four books sold by the guy near the tavern (the one who talks about Gargoyles). The books have hints on solving the puzzles, But even then its very difficult to figure out. You could just look online or check the guide (just for this specific part of the game). And it doesn't help that each puzzle has two possible solutions and there are three of them!

The chests however contain some great loot and you need to solve the puzzles to finish the Gargoyle Contract.

Chapter 3 overall feels very rushed and unfortunately doesn't leave a good last impression. It's kinda sad because Chapters 1 and 2 are brilliant.

@ tyler yup as far as i have seen there was hardly anything to do there...moreover can u tell me how many side quests are there in 1st and 2nd chapters???

I don't remember the exact number and I don't have access to the guide on my work laptop but roughly I'd say about 10-12 side quests each. Also the side quests themselves differ depending on which path you take at the end of Chapter 1. BTW a couple of side quests are initiated in the prologue (which carry over into other chapters) and can be easily missed.

is the game Crashing a lot for you guys?

crashed 3-4 times in the last 5 hours for me.

btw, just did my first boss fight

The Kayran

. Pretty awesome that was. Though, sadly no loot after killing that one

well i finally finished the game, ~32 hours played. they really half assed the last part of the game... in chapter 3 you can tell they ran out of money or time, which is a shame. it's a great game that leaves a bad last impression :(

the best part of the game was easily chapter 1. that was absolutely fantastic. it tells the story of how you just escaped from prison, you're looking to find the kingslayer to clear your name and to get your memories back. the story of flotsam is incidental to all this and yet it's compelling enough to get involved with. incidentally, chapter 1 also had the most 'witchering', with 3-4 contracts and monsters to fight.

chapter 2 was pretty good too. they had some good ideas, especially splitting the whole thing into 2 parts depending on your end choice of chapter 1, and the concept of the mist in between was neat. the quests were okay, although i don't like the 'go collect of 4 items to proceed, but to get 1 of those you need to collect another 3 items' type quest chains. still, at least they were entertaining. however, in terms of story, i found the chapter a bit lacking. it felt like hunting the kingslayer took a backseat to the large scale politics which i found a little hard to care about. i don't know why i (as a player or as geralt) should care about the politics of kaedwin and redania and temeria or the battle of brenna that took place 3 years ago which they go on and on about. at one point even geralt says that politics is of no concern to witchers, but somehow the developers made it mine in the game. speaking of which, the actual amount of witcher work in the game was almost miniscule. maybe 5 contracts and as many random beasts to find and kill. i would have preferred that they had added more in.

the last chapter was just a letdown. the previous two lasted 10-15 hours each, this one was over in about 2 hours. 2-3 sidequests, 2 main quests... lots of blocked passages, locked doors, unused sewers and caves and all, everything happening inside one small map. all signs of being rushed. the ending was okay i suppose, not sure if things would have been radically different if i had made different choices. the biggest choice that impacts the game is which side you choose after chapter 1. i'll have to check out the other endings to see if there are truly significant changes depending on your other choices.

the game is filled with small flaws too. luckily nothing is game breaking but they are there... bugs, interface design, quest design, game design... a lot of small things. on the bright side, it's very stable, didn't have any crashes, it has a lot of polish, looks absolutely breathtaking at times. it's a great game held back by a few things, much like the first one actually, but i still say that the first was better.

anyway coming to the ending, i read a spoiler somewhere that saskia was the dragon? i played roche's side so i don't know how that came to be, so can someone explain what happened? because right at the beginning of chapter 2, she's actually referred to as the dragon slayer. i'm assuming something happened on iorveth's side of the story that made that happen?

@Devilsown: Don't tell me you didn't loot the Kayran's corpse :doh: You get some unique crafting ingredients.

BTW the game crashed a lot for me as well. Usually whenever I opened the map or Journal after playing for an hour or so.

BTW the game crashed a lot for me as well. Usually whenever I opened the map or Journal after playing for an hour or so.

no crashes for me at all. not once in 30+ hours played.

of course, i had a whole different set of issues with getting the game to run. so aggravating that the first thing i did after finishing the game was to delete it.

@spin:

Yes Saskia is the dragon. Although Phillipa controls her through a spell and has her do her bidding. Its all explained in Iorveth's path.

As for why she was called the Dragon Slayer, maybe she did kill a dragon in the past (she is after all one so she knows how to). It all reminded me a lot of Divinity II... Dragonslayer becomes a Dragon Knight.

And yes I agree with your assessment, we spoke about it last night. Chapter 3 is easily the worst part of the game. I really wish there was more "Witcher work" and more monsters to fight. DLC perhaps?

BTW I came across a book on Bruxae but I never really encountered them in the game which leads me to believe that they probably axed a lot of stuff due to time/budget restrictions and the pressure of the upcoming console port.

That said, it still is the best RPG since The Witcher 1 itself.

PS: It took me exactly 32 hours as well.

oh dammit it.. i used the medallion near the corpse and didnt see any marker.. so turned back. Thankfully have a save immediately after the fight. will go back to that.

and read somewhere, that thee crashes happen if there are too many saves in the folder (which surely is the case with me)

Archived