Odroid vs Raspberry Pi

Ne0

If anyone has used them, want to know which one is better suited for some hobby DIY projects (mostly s/w related) ?

I did a quick google saerch, found that there are a lot of projects/articles posted on RPi , but resources for odroid seems to be limited. But general impression, seems to be that odroid(u3) is both expensive and powerful than RPi (B).

My main criteria for selection, ease of use (not too much of dependency on external accessories to start working) , good support/warranty (pref worldwide), availability of resources to learn and an active developer community !

Let me know your opinion guys, thanks in advance :arigato:

I have both and have used both quite a bit. If you want to buy only one, then decision is simple. Do you need a lot of horse power? If yes, then buy odroid otherwise buy Pi.

Odroid is definitely a much better device but Pi has much more support + if you are not into making things yourself, you'll get more components (read shields) for Pi locally. If you have some particular type of work that you want to do, let me know and I can help further on the decision.

Edit: Also if you have anything related to Android in mind, then you should get Odroid.

Raspberry Pi all the way, based on your criteria.

I have both and have used both quite a bit. If you want to buy only one, then decision is simple. Do you need a lot of horse power? If yes, then buy odroid otherwise buy Pi.

Odroid is definitely a much better device but Pi has much more support + if you are not into making things yourself, you'll get more components (read shields) for Pi locally. If you have some particular type of work that you want to do, let me know and I can help further on the decision.

Edit: Also if you have anything related to Android in mind, then you should get Odroid.

Thanks for the info guys. The DIY ideas are many, but not sure how many of them are feasible / practical considering my work schedule etc. Anyway, I also want to to get a touch screen module and hook it to one of these as well. So, would prefer whichever can give me the easiest interface to that !

Here're a couple of ideas I've right now :

1. Mobile phone simulator which can communicate with a custom server(over wifi / ethernet). Touch screen interface to control the different aspects of simulation (like data rate etc),

2. Some kind of basic universal remote to interact with all my electronics like TV/PS3 etc with UI controls from the touchscreen.

There have been few efforts to run Android on Pi but it's not practical since Pi has an 700MHz ARM11 processor. It is not only slow but also it's ARMv6 architecture.

Linux wise as well, you'd be hard pressed for performance while running anything too processor intensive. I use it headless to get the most oomph out of it for specific usecases.

^^ oh, then what OS does it support .... except for linux I'm not familiar with any other OS (at-least programming wise) :(

I was thinking of doing all the development work on a regular desktop (ubuntu OS ) , mainly using c/c++ and then use a cross compiler to compile the image to run on RPi. Is this possible ?

BTW, I think I've opened this in the wrong section .... can some kind mod move this to gen chat, this topic is not related to games in anyway !

It supports various linux distros and I think some specialized OSs (for robotics/real time). But your best chance is using a light weight linux distro out of the most popular ones (raspbian, arch) so that you spend less time in messing around with linux and more with your project.

Cross compilation should be possible as there are arm toolchains available which I've used for other boards. For Pi, so far I do the compilation on Pi itself.

^^ Howz your dev setup ? Do you connect your RPi directly to a monitor and develop / compile / debug on that ? I've seen Arm toolchains in Eclipse IDE , not sure about remote debugging though. What do you do for debugging your apps on RPi ?

No..I generally connect the Pi to wifi or ethernet (if I am using both USB ports) and ssh into it for any dev work. I don't use IDEs for most of my development except arduino stuff (I code in vim and then compile using arduino ide as the avrdude switches are really long and I am lazy to make makefiles for this).

Debugging depends on what I am making. On the Pi I generally debug through logs (uart, command line prints) or printing info in web pages etc or through gdb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the cheapest way of getting Raspberry pi in india? EBay ? I see some for 3k.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Model-B-Plus-Made-In-UK-Element-14-Authorized-Dealer-/261548880709?pt=IN_Desktop_PCs&hash=item3ce5873345&_uhb=1

plus try any coupon available....

Archived