PS3 - does not start / work - Green Light Of Death (is there such a thing?)

BoRa28

Hi guys,

Here's the problem with my PS3: (Slim 160 GB model)

1. IT does not start - There is no display on the Screen.

2. The DS3 does not get connected - neither automatically nor via USB.

3. The Green Light is on - it remains on - does not shut down or anything. Just stays idle with nothing on the screen.

Things that i have already tried:

Tried to change the Hard disc - of no use

Tried to start the PS3 without a HDD - of no use - no display on the screen

Tried to connect to another TV using those red white and yellow pins. - same - of no use does not start.

Did the Fan test by holding down the eject button - of no use.

Tried to hold down the power button - no beeps nothing - if i hold it for around 30 seconds - the PS3 gets switched off and there's red light on the power button.

Tried Googling - could not reach any solution

Out of warranty

If its an issue with HDMI - should not the DS3 get connected?

How can i reset if i don't hear any beeps -

Any help will be appreciated. Please help me get back to gaming.

Use the good old..... Plug out...Remove power cable.....Press and hold power switch on console for 60 sec.....turn it on.

If no...... Hard luck mate.

However there is no such thing as Green light of Death. Find out how to do a Physical Factory Reset.

Your last resort would be grey market....They will reset it for you, However if this is a heating issue with

yellow light and beeps then good luck.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.....

Try to enter the reset menu. I admit it will be hard without the beeps but try it.

Well it seems like an issue with the display chip. In most cases that's what a solid green means unless its a HDD failure. Your options if this is the case would be third party chip reflow (basically it means the RSX may be loose and isnt connected to the board well) or contact Sony. IMO third party reflow is a stop gap as it could last a month or a year.

The RSX is the display chip. What it means is theres no proper contact between the chip and the mainboard and the solder will need to be reheated to re-establish connection with the chip. Its better off in the hands of a professional. Again there is no guarantee of how long it will last. Try this if you've exhausted all other options.

The RSX is the display chip. What it means is theres no proper contact between the chip and the mainboard and the solder will need to be reheated to re-establish connection with the chip. Its better off in the hands of a professional. Again there is no guarantee of how long it will last. Try this if you've exhausted all other options.

Thanks walker.

BTW - found this thread

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/How-I-Fixed-My-Own-PS3-Failing-RSX-GPU-PS3-Not-Playing-Games/td-p/41726965

I have absolutely no intentions of doing what the guy says - placing the Motherboard of the PS3 in a pre-heated oven and all...Still would like to know if this actually works.

I think going to a professional is my best bet here. Want to know how long it shall work.

I have absolutely no intentions of doing what the guy says - placing the Motherboard of the PS3 in a pre-heated oven and all...Still would like to know if this actually works.

I think going to a professional is my best bet here. Want to know how long it shall work.

Like I said it could work for a month or a year. It all depends on the person you're giving it to. If you build a good rapport they may offer you to redo it if it reoccurs within a timeframe they set. It's really hit or miss.

Like I said it could work for a month or a year. It all depends on the person you're giving it to. If you build a good rapport they may offer you to redo it if it reoccurs within a timeframe they set. It's really hit or miss.

Ok...M from Bombay..do you know any good repair guys here?

Finally I'm not alone. My PS3 has the almost same symptoms. I gave it for repair to one shop in Bandra, bastard kept it for 2 months and then gave back without repairing. If you find some shop for repair then please let me know too. Thanks.

Nope man sorry. Wish I could help you there, but perhaps someone else could point one out to you.

Edit : But I do know there's some guys in Pune who do the whole reflow/reballing thing. I'll see if I can get those details.

Finally I'm not alone. My PS3 has the almost same symptoms. I gave it for repair to one shop in Bandra, bastard kept it for 2 months and then gave back without repairing. If you find some shop for repair then please let me know too. Thanks.

ZooZoo...what did you do?

Move on to ps4?

ZooZoo...what did you do?

Move on to ps4?

Yup, Thats what i did. But still there are plenty of gems left on PS3 which i want to play. Thus i wanna get it repaired. Got a number of a guy from a friend. I'll try to get it repaired by him. Here you can try too:

Kashif : 9819767710

yI

Yup, Thats what i did. But still there are plenty of gems left on PS3 which i want to play. Thus i wanna get it repaired. Got a number of a guy from a friend. I'll try to get it repaired by him. Here you can try too:

Kashif : 9819767710

yI

I have his number...

Does not pick up

Not there on whatsapp since a long time

Have you tried contacting Alfa. Iirc they used to do repairs when I was living in Mumbai. Don't know what the situation is now.

Or try the first shop near the entrance on the left at indraprasth in borivali. Again it's been a while so don't even know if it exists anymore.

Archived