Bioshock Infinite Story Discussion **SPOILERS**

Tyler

These time travel stories are so damn confusing.....bc

Few questions for you Tyler....

So Elizabeth is Anna Dewitt, Booker's Daughter and Booker is Comstock.....right?

1.). How killing Booker will stop him from becoming Comstock in future?. ..Booker will become Comstock no matter what ? ...Killing one Comstock/Booker will not change anything coz there are Infinite number of universe with Infinite number of Bookers/Comstocks in it....right ..??

2.How giving away baby Anna/Elizabeth to Comstock will erase his debt ?

I don't think we should use spoiler tags in this thread. Anyway, I'll try to explain stuff based on what I understood.

Okay first here's what I think about the multiple timelines/universes in this game. It's implied that changing something in one timeline will affect all timelines that branched from it. Say for example person A wants to eat something and he has a choice between an apple and a cake and he makes a choice. This choice creates two timelines - one where he ate an apple and another where he ate a cake. Now say just before the moment he got hungry he meets with an accident (which renders him unconscious). The choice never arises and the two timelines never get created. This is pretty much the basis of the Booker/Comstock theory. You can argue that the timelines still exist because they happened in some other universe. But Bioshock Infinite's theory operates under the assumption that multiple timelines branch out from a single point. And if you can nullify this point, every branched timeline is void and ceases to exist.

1.). How killing Booker will stop him from becoming Comstock in future?. ..Booker will become Comstock no matter what ? ...Killing one Comstock/Booker will not change anything coz there are Infinite number of universe with Infinite number of Bookers/Comstocks in it....right ..??

Yes, Booker becomes Comstock in all timelines. However at the end of the game Elizabeth helps him identify that one moment which leads to him to becoming Comstock. After the battle at Wounded Knee, Booker decides to get baptized to make up for his sins during the battle. After that moment he eventually becomes a religious fanatic (Comstock). However, he realizes that this is the decision that shouldn't happen. If he goes on with the baptism he becomes Comstock, if he doesn't he becomes the alchoholic/gambling detective Booker. So it is before this decision he should die in order to erase all future timelines involving Comstock. That's why he lets Elizabeth drown him making all timelines void (the disappearing Elizabeths) except the one where he never went to the baptism. Hence the post credits scene.

2.How giving away baby Anna/Elizabeth to Comstock will erase his debt ?

This one is simple. Comstock uses the female Lutece to use the tears to see the future. It's in those he sees his daughter taking up his mantle. He know that his biological child has to succeed him one day. However due to extensive use of tears he has aged quickly and become infertile. The Luteces come up with a solution. That solution is to obtain the child from an alternate version of himself (i.e. Booker the one where he doesn't get baptized). Booker is in heavy debt due to his gambling and drinking. The Luteces make a deal with him, to sell his daughter in exchange for clearing his debts. However he has a change of heart at the last moment and decides to stop his (causing Anna's finger to be severed). It is implied that this physical "split" between worlds is what gives her the powers.

^Thanks for clearing up the confusion......

Also, check this video...It explains everything in detail...

Amazing stuff......Ken Levine :majesty:

Will start the game again on harder difficulty after few weeks.....

I really want a DLC explaining who or what Songbird was. I was actually pretty convinced that it was Booker from another timeline.

I feel like playing through it again too. The only thing holding me back is the amount of combat arenas. There's just too much of it :| The game should have been a lot quieter and paced slower than it is.

This one is simple. Comstock uses the female Lutece to use the tears to see the future. It's in those he sees his daughter taking up his mantle. He know that his biological child has to succeed him one day. However due to extensive use of tears he has aged quickly and become infertile. The Luteces come up with a solution. That solution is to obtain the child from an alternate version of himself (i.e. Booker the one where he doesn't get baptized). Booker is in heavy debt due to his gambling and drinking. The Luteces make a deal with him, to sell his daughter in exchange for clearing his debts. However he has a change of heart at the last moment and decides to stop his (causing Anna's finger to be severed). It is implied that this physical "split" between worlds is what gives her the powers.

to further clarify this,there is a audio log which mentions "Source of her powers"

"I suspect it has less to do with what she is, and rather more with what she is not. A small part of her remains from where she came. It would seem the universe does not like its peas mixed with it's porridge."

I really want a DLC explaining who or what Songbird was. I was actually pretty convinced that it was Booker from another timeline.

I feel like playing through it again too. The only thing holding me back is the amount of combat arenas. There's just too much of it :| The game should have been a lot quieter and paced slower than it is.

would love game+ mode,i hope they come up with it.

The voxophones really help flesh out some of the story details. In fact most of the backstory is told via the voxophones. I think I still missed about 6-7 despite being really thorough in my exploration.

And yeah, NG+ mode is a must.

I just want to walk around and listen to audio logs that's it ..Don't want any combat in the game :|.... Bioshock Infinite was full crazy over the top action sequences....lol

The only thing holding me back is the amount of combat arenas. There's just too much of it :|

The final section where you have to defend a generator from wave after wave of enemies was quite frustrating imo... :| .

Wel i beleive that the booker is in infinte loop... see the ringing bell its 122 thats means he is been these 121 times before....

Wel in columbia we toss a coin ... and its always heads right... always heads.. all those marking on the board, means booker visited here before and tossed the coin, and always the result is same...

In the end everything happens i.e drowning n all.. after the credits roll we are back in his room and we hear bells from baby room.. that might mean booker is still in infinite loop..

or it can also mean he killed cumstock by killing himself in one timeline hence stopped the creation of comstock... hence all the infinite loop stopped.. wel that wil be true n good ending for the story right, finally father n daughter are together...

^^ That's why he put twins in quotes dude...

Yes he was stuck in a loop. Not really a loop per se but the Luteces sent him on the quest multiple times until he managed to succeed (our playthrough). During all other times he either died as a martyr for the Vox Populi or got killed by Songbird while saving Elizabeth.

The ending could actually mean two things (it's not very clear) - 1. He has managed to successfully erase Comstock from all the future timelines and will never consider selling the baby (happy ending). 2. Or he is still going to make the same decisions and the whole thing repeats again. This is actually pretty clever... just like playing through the game again.

@spin, Agreed, that scene means so much in retrospect.

@Zodak, it should have been like Deus Ex with the option of using stealth / non-lethal approach. That sort of gameplay plus the amazing story... just imagine that. Too bad they decided to go with a COD/Halo style wave based combat and Uncharted like setpieces. It's not that I hated the core gameplay, it was fun but the game deserved to be so much more than that.

Wel there is also multiple universe thing... thats not actually multiple universe its time line right...?

Ok lets imagine he is in infinite loop.. that means every time he is visiting its the first time right for him and for others.....that means wat ever he do when he visited wil be reset once he is back to start..

. if he is in loop then he dieing or helping those vox ppl should also get erased.... one place that vox girl says i saw u died.. at one place we are vox leader helping them.. so basically we are vising different time line which booker had visited earlier...

In the end when we drown ourself n die..that means he is the real booker.. measns he went back to time line where he was first baptised .. and instead of baptising himself, elizabeth kills him.. thats booker right.. so he is dead.. that measn there is no existence of him.. if so then how he is alive in the final scene after credits...

He's still alive in the timeline before he goes to get baptized (and drowned by Elizabeth). It's pretty unclear "when" exactly the post credits scene occurs.

wel here is another doubt.. if its all abt multiple timelines.. then whats rapture . . Elizabeth says its some other universe.... here is a confusion which creates more doubts.. was tear multiple time line or multiple universe...

Multiple timelines = multiple universe. Every time a choice is made a new timeline (or universe) is created. Elizabeth is able to tap into other timelines using tears. She can also go backward and forward in them. So it's not just traveling through multiple timelines but also traveling to multiple points in them.

Rapture is what you said it is. A different timeline/universe.

If you listen to the logs it's explained that Columbia gets most of it's technology and culture from tapping into the tears. The vigours are similar to Rapture's plasmids because someone probably tapped into a tear that opened up into Rapture. Same with the music. Music from the 70s and 80s can be heard from the tears at some points. The musicians also play various versions of songs which should not exist in 1912. Also when Elizabeth opens a rift to Paris you see "Revenge of the Jedi" playing (French title), at one point Return of the Jedi was supposed to be called Revenge of the Jedi. We are to assume that this created different timelines - one where the movie was called Revenge of the Jedi and the other where it was Return of the Jedi (the timeline we exist in).

Archived