The Book Thread

Amay

Stiff_Cover.jpg

Halfway through Stiff and it's delightfully magnificent and equally funny. And filled with tonnes of trivia (like cadaveric skin is cosmetically used to plump up wrinkles & aggrandize penises. Or how the Anatomy was earlier studied etc). Totally hooked !

If you have the slightest inkling for history and medicine, just go for it.

Edited by Kaamwali Bai
  • Like 1

Anybody going for Delhi Book Fair 2011 ? It's from 27th Aug to 4th Sept, 11 am to 8 pm.

World Book Fair is next year Feb. :dance:

In other news, finished Stiff. Anybody with a remote interest in good reading should get this ASAP. The book gets more and more interesting as it progresses and is virtually as addictive as a good thriller novel. Definitely give it a go guys ! :good:

About to start "2001 A Space Odyssey". Anyone else here read it?

Of course... many people here have.

Read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson a while back. Highly recommended if you like action fantasy.

Also, Retribution Falls/The Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding.

Ok so this is weird. I am about 70% done with the fourth book and have completely changed my opinion with the second read. This is actually pretty f**king good. I think I like it better than the second one.

So if DWD is as good/bad as the fourth one I have no issues with that.

Stiff_Cover.jpg

Halfway through Stiff and it's delightfully magnificent and equally funny. And filled with tonnes of trivia (like cadaveric skin is cosmetically used to plump up wrinkles & aggrandize penises. Or how the Anatomy was earlier studied etc). Totally hooked !

If you have the slightest inkling for history and medicine, just go for it.

Thank you for the recommendation. Just got this. If only I had less work at office today, I could start reading it now. Can't wait!

No Daenerys, thats a super plus. lol

The biggest thing I feel wrong with a dance with the dragons is that there is nothing here that pushes the story forward. Its like he is Just meandering around with the story line.. "Hmm, what do I do with Jon.. Yeah why dont I write some more sh*t about The Black and the wildings".. "Hmm what about Daenerys, yeah her dragons and her f**ked up moral issues" .. Frankly all the main character POV are so predictable. Actually a characters like Cersei and Selmy which have a couple of POVs are much better.

But that does not change the fact that am still gonna pine for book 6.

Frankly all the main character POV are so predictable. Actually a characters like Cersei and Selmy which have a couple of POVs are much better.

Another reason why A feast for crows is better. It goes off the main characters (almost no Jon Snow in it either) and the side characters that it focuses on are excellent.

If you ever get around to re reading the series before the sixth one hits, trust me, you will change your mind too.

Thank you for the recommendation. Just got this. If only I had less work at office today, I could start reading it now. Can't wait!

:cheers:

While most of the book is about cadavers, it's after the midway when things start to get interesting, like really interesting. Right from cannibalism to the earlier human anatomists to chinese culture to the new methods of disposing of the dead. It just explodes with information on every page, in style !