Financial Post – 8.5
MoviePilot – 8.5
Multiplayer.it (Italian) – 8.5
Blogocio (Spanish) – 8.5
Videogamer – 8
TheSixthAxis – 8
HardcoreGamer – 8

performance?

It runs fine. 3FZJZDx.gif I'll run some tests when I reach home.

Edited by Heaven Angel

Still not sure whether to get it or not, not because I doubt the quality of game but the scare factor might be way out of my comfort zone. RE4 was just beyond the limit but I managed it because it was so awesome. Last of Us was sort of perfect but even there I was sh*t scared half the time.

You wont be getting "PT" then i guess ;)

HOLY SHITE! The black bars are huge.

After changing aspect ratio to 0 (full screen):

WTF those black bars are huge indeed. :O

Whoever thought this was a good idea? :doh:

Edit Was this done on the consoles to meet some bullshit resolution checkpoint? Why did it have to carry over to the PC?

Edited by Aftrunner

WTF those black bars are huge indeed. :O

Whoever thought this was a good idea? :doh:

Edit Was this done on the consoles to meet some bullshit resolution checkpoint? Why did it have to carry over to the PC?

I think it was done for that 'cimenatic' feel. Thankfully, they can be disabled in both the versions.

I think it was done for that 'cimenatic' feel. Thankfully, they can be disabled in both the versions.

Jeebus wept. Dumbest thing I have read all week.

Some day this industry will lose its obsession over wanting to be like movies and go back to being the best game they can be. "Cinematic" (along with DLC) is easily one of the worst things that last gen made popular. It cant die soon enough.

Edited by Aftrunner
  • Like 1

Some day this industry will lose its obsession over wanting to be like movies and go back to being the best game they can be. "Cinematic" (along with DLC) is easily one of the worst things that last gen made popular. It cant die soon enough.

That day cannot come soon enough.

Funny thing is, movies are now moving to a more full screen experience. Like IMAX and some digital formats. More and more recent films have full-er aspect ratios these days, like LUCY and even the new SIN CITY(and many others, cant remember), or atleast more people want to shoot with a full-er aspect ratio but most cinema halls are still last gen and shall remain for quite sometime.

Tye best example of 'cinematic' even with a full screen aspect ratio is Game Of Thrones.

Black bars are not a feature of 'cinema' anymore, they are more of a shortcoming for our TVs and cinema screens using different aspect ratios. Widescreen TVs are a new thing, remember. So games having black bars is the dumbest thing ever. I can still stand if games like HEAVY RAIN etc have black bars, but in a survival horror game where screen real estate is key and the smallest of FOV issues can cripple or frustrate you, it sucks.

30 and 60 fps debate I can 'still', to a certain extent understand. The Hobbit at 48fps was a disaster. But gaming is not. Although apart from twitch based games (shooters and sports etc), many others can do without it. 60 fps on next gen consoles or weaker PCs is not advisable cuz it will take a toll on the visual fidelity so much that it would feel like playing in a cardboard world. And a cardboard world at 60fps will suck even more. Thats why 60 or above fps is good only if your machine can push visual fidelity to a respectable state along with the fps.

My 2(hundred) cents. :fear:

• Like 1

As much as I hate the black bars, I wouldn't disable them if it means losing almost half the field of view.

How to compromise, in the worst possible way.

By adding "smoking is injurious to health" advisory whenever someone smokes in-game.

You evilz bastid.

From what I can see, its not disabled, you just zoom in beyond black bars. Most TVs will also let you do this by zooming in and automatically cutting black bars. You obviously lose left and right side of screen in similar proportion.

And I remember many reviewers praising RE4 for Mikami's bold decision to include black bars for that cinematic widescreen view giving the game a unique identity. Oh how the times have changed..

^ That was in the era of non-widescreen panels being commonplace. You would think people keep up with the times.

Also, I never played Resident Evil so cannot comment further.

Watching some RE speed runner play this. Kinda meh so far TBH.

Encounter design and level design are pretty bland so far. It feels kinda like Outlast but with some scares swapped for some shooting. The intensity of RE4 is definitely not there.

Also what is it with Bach's Air being applied to scary places in videogames? Bioshock did that, I think Outlast did that too and so does this one. Its a lovely piece of music, stop trying to associate it with terrifying scenarios. :P

From what I can see, its not disabled, you just zoom in beyond black bars. Most TVs will also let you do this by zooming in and automatically cutting black bars. You obviously lose left and right side of screen in similar proportion.

And I remember many reviewers praising RE4 for Mikami's bold decision to include black bars for that cinematic widescreen view giving the game a unique identity. Oh how the times have changed..

Yeah its surprising that people are appalled that visual standards of a game made for an SD console in 2005 for 4:3 TVs are being applied to a game made in 2014 for widescreen monitors catering for multiple resolutions.

Times indeed have changed. By 10 years or so.

Edit Stream link in case anyone is interested.

http://www.twitch.tv/carcinogensda

Edit 2 Forgot to mention. Headshots and gibs are still god tier. :D

Edited by Aftrunner
  • Like 1

The console commands doesn't remove the black bars. It just zooms in and messes with FoV. Also, there is no FoV slider.

Better stick to 2 aspect ratio or default instead of full screen. Fυcking cinematic bullshіt.

Nice :D..Are you enjoying the game ? Is it better than Alien Isolation ?

Just finished 2 chapters. This should have been Resident Evil 5. That atmosphere, twisted enemies and level design. D0AT1Y4.png

i7u4uAS55wDvh.jpg

iborf9DRu2oQCq.jpg

iKN1OB5u9lI89.jpg

iy1vkY7ngkbMU.jpg

il3kaWWUI72RC.jpg

ibvNTh8Y7OyCZ2.jpg

Edited by Heaven Angel
  • Like 1