Dragon Age: Inquisition

dylanjosh

Was Dragon Age II a "rush job"? BioWare admits Dragon Age 2' faults

BioWare composer: EA "pushed hard" for early release

Dragon Age II composer Inon Zur has revealed that the game's soundtrack was something of a "rush job", as EA was anxious to get it on shelves before the franchise lost commercial momentum.

The comments came in an interview with IGN. Asked whether he intended to test the retail version of the game for bugs in the score, Zur admitted that he was "anxious" to get hold of a copy.

"I know there are a few bugs that still need to be fixed. Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job," he said.

"EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now. So I'd like to know if there are bugs, or if there's anything we could patch or fix."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/26321/was-dragon-age-ii-a-rush-job-ea-bioware/

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/303679/bioware-admits-dragon-age-faults-discusses-the-future/

You can't make a RPG game in 18months....

Apparently you can, if you are BIOWARE and your boss is named EA.

I hate DA II... I loved the DAO.... Played more than 3 complete times as a Warrior and Rogue.

DA III should be based on Grey Warden and not should be on a Royal Prince.

:sign_offtopic:

I dunno about the rest of you but the main reason I hold any disdain for Dragon Age II is because I had just come out of Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening after doing a marathon session and all of that just did not make any sense any-more, they (the original Grey Warden's and associative characters) became a passing comment in this story.

Next, I had just started my favourite RPG series all over again -- The Witcher, if I have a reason I can wax eloquence about this Polish RPG over all my other RPG experiences but I would rather avoid going OT as well as bore fellow members. For me the Witcher series is more organic because --

• no morality paint, I am not a hallowed angel OR a damned diablo. I am a person / character who made certain choices and now have to live with it. Nobody can question my choices under the set of circumstances and chain of events that lead to the choice.
  • a believable setting, the world is a dark jungle not a rosy fairytale I am traipsing through.
  • characters and entire plot changes w.r.t to the decisions you make. Support one alliance over the other, one faction against the other and you might see the competitors melt away OR become more feral.
  • a taut story of a central character who is charting his own destiny, who is rewriting his own identity. Why do I say this is because in most RPG's you have to build a new character from scratch and she / he is dropped into the world with no background OR a very hammed up setting (Dragon Age: Origins, Gothic 3 and KOTOR are exceptions to this norm). Geralt as a character does not remember his past = essentially lacks an identity but you help rebuild it.
  • a dialogue system that works like in the real world, unlike Dragon Age II in which Hawke has helpful icons / mood assists which dictate his dialogue flow the Witcher has the more difficult and edgy numeral system in which at best you can do a bit of guesswork for dialogues and how people will react depend on your past interaction with them / their role in the society.
  • playing it for the 5th time and carrying forward the saves to the Witcher 2 for my 7th playthrough for the same.

Here is hoping that BIOWARE returns to the roots of the Origin's saga, brings back known faces OR at-least continues the story in a meaningful manner, I know they can do it. They just need to get out of the rut of Dragon Age II and SWOTOR.

P.S. -- Since GoG.com and CD PROJECKT RED have collaborated I am also getting a lot of freebies.

Edited by ALPHA17

Tbh, I had no problem with DA2's narative. I don't think that was the problem at all. Lots of gameplay problems but I appreciated a fresh story in the same universe. The Grey Warden's story is done.

It won't make sense now, unless they do something like Fable and set it during the next Blight. Which I don't see happening.

Apparently you can, if you are BIOWARE and your boss is named EA.

:sign_offtopic:

I dunno about the rest of you but the main reason I hold any disdain for Dragon Age II is because I had just come out of Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening after doing a marathon session and all of that just did not make any sense any-more, they (the original Grey Warden's and associative characters) became a passing comment in this story.

Next, I had just started my favourite RPG series all over again -- The Witcher, if I have a reason I can wax eloquence about this Polish RPG over all my other RPG experiences but I would rather avoid going OT as well as bore fellow members. For me the Witcher series is more organic because --

• no morality paint, I am not a hallowed angel OR a damned diablo. I am a person / character who made certain choices and now have to live with it. Nobody can question my choices under the set of circumstances and chain of events that lead to the choice.
  • a believable setting, the world is a dark jungle not a rosy fairytale I am traipsing through.
  • characters and entire plot changes w.r.t to the decisions you make. Support one alliance over the other, one faction against the other and you might see the competitors melt away OR become more feral.
  • a taut story of a central character who is charting his own destiny, who is rewriting his own identity. Why do I say this is because in most RPG's you have to build a new character from scratch and she / he is dropped into the world with no background OR a very hammed up setting (Dragon Age: Origins, Gothic 3 and KOTOR are exceptions to this norm). Geralt as a character does not remember his past = essentially lacks an identity but you help rebuild it.
  • a dialogue system that works like in the real world, unlike Dragon Age II in which Hawke has helpful icons / mood assists which dictate his dialogue flow the Witcher has the more difficult and edgy numeral system in which at best you can do a bit of guesswork for dialogues and how people will react depend on your past interaction with them / their role in the society.
  • playing it for the 5th time and carrying forward the saves to the Witcher 2 for my 7th playthrough for the same.

Here is hoping that BIOWARE returns to the roots of the Origin's saga, brings back known faces OR at-least continues the story in a meaningful manner, I know they can do it. They just need to get out of the rut of Dragon Age II and SWOTOR.

P.S. -- Since GoG.com and CD PROJECKT RED have collaborated I am also getting a lot of freebies.

spoke like a true witcher fan !! :hi: are u active on official witcher forums ? CDPR FTW!! Now i want Peter Jackson to make Witcher Movies!!

spoke like a true witcher fan !! :hi: are u active on official witcher forums ? CDPR FTW!! Now i want Peter Jackson to make Witcher Movies!!

Naah! I am not and certainly no films to be made on this please, the last attempt was a complete disaster.

Tbh, I had no problem with DA2's narative. I don't think that was the problem at all. Lots of gameplay problems but I appreciated a fresh story in the same universe. The Grey Warden's story is done.

Even if they did not want to keep the Grey Warden's story arc at-least show its effect on the world in tangible ways. I mean more than just the overall background setting, more into the settings of Kirkwall. Somehow that was lacking and the city felt detached from the Dragon Age: Origins + Awakening situation (my opinion).

Seems I am not cut for BIOWARE work anymore, could not play Mass Effect after a single pass, barely did a ~20 minute sitting of Mass Effect 2.

I miss their glory days, KOTOR was so much better even with the bland Jedi-Sith morality paint (In-fact I am a STAR WARS fan so this does not matter).

• 3 weeks later...

DA2 combat , level scale of DAO = win.

DAO's comabt was too slow and among physical dpsers ,Dual weilding Rouge>>>>>all others . OP much?? Better balance the classes this time.

Edited by The JACKAL

• 2 weeks later...

Concept art looks alrite. But once again it's another 'voiced' protagnist. That im not liking at all. I dont want to play as a fookin human. I prefer being an elf with a slender body B) . And it was stated this going game is going to be more open ended like ES IV & V.

Mike Laidlaw ‏@Mike_Laidlaw

Sorry, for those who love elves and dwarves, but long term I’d like to see all four races playable. Future plans!

Good bless DLC and EA and Bioware. Why put it in the game at launch when you can sell it to us a week later?

Edited by Aftrunner