KnackChap

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Tequila Works has acquired the rights to Rime from Sony Computer Entertainment, the company announced.

Tequila Works has chosen to reacquire the rights to its adventure game, Rime, and is working hard to realize its aspirations for it, the company said.

Rime has always been in development for PlayStation 4 at Tequila Works. The only difference here is that Sony no longer owns IP. This means that, if it chooses to, Tequila Works will be able to bring the game to other platforms.

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/tequila-acquires-rights-rime-sony

^^ from gaf

All this info comes from a source very close to the studio.

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

http://www.notariado.org/liferay/web...N=AC&FLAG=MAIL

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyud...lConcesion.pdf

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).

*sigh* It's as good as gone, then. I was intrigued to it right from the moment it was announced.

Still a little hard to digest the fact that Sony were conned by the reveal trailer. I mean, shouldn't they have checked some very early gameplay from which the trailer could be made? I can't seem to agree to the fact that they gave a 'go-ahead' for a trailer without checking the actual game. Especially for a reveal on a big stage like Gamescom (IIRC).

Reminds me of a certain KZ2 reveal trailer. All cinematic and then Guerilla Games found it really tough to make the final game look like that.

Archived