Surround Sound Setup Guide and suggestions

playstation

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I've been eyeing the Edifier S550 for over an year now. I was almost all set to buy them about 8 months back. But I was a complete tool then, I had no idea what a receiver was. When I asked a dealer for these, he asked me what receiver I have. I was like, wut?

I figured I could connect the speakers directly to my PS3, since PS3 already has all audio decoders. Apparently I can't. I'm really not sure about spending 35k for a good receiver.

BTW, a link if you're looking for the Edifier:

http://www.letsbuy.com/edifier-s550-p-20584

So, is there no way to enjoy a good surround experience on a PS3 without a dedicated receiver? If not, what's the most cost-effective receiver around?

Hey hellraiser,

Firstly If your dealer asked u wat receiver u have for S550 then he tried to fool u! S550 is a multimedia speaker and can be directly connected to audio source without any receiver!

Unfortunately S550 can't be connected to PS3 directly since S550 Digital model is not available in India readily! Normal S550 model doesn't have a optical in port for connecting PS3 where as S550 Digital model have same! One more drawback of S550 is that it doesn't have of its own audio decoding like DTS or Dolby Digital!

Your best bet with all the features is Logitech Z550 if you are able to find them!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finalized a home theater setup.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V571

Speakers: Paradigm CT-100 (5.1) + Paradigm Cinema 200 (dual-driver center) = 6.1

Total cost will probably be 90k ish. Should have it up by christmas.

During my research, figured out some VFM surround setups at other pricepoints:

~25k: Onkyo HTS3400 HTiB

~35k: Onkyo HTS5400 HTiB

~50k: 5.1 receiver + Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers

~75k: 7.1 receiver + Paradigm CT-100

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

i have got 5.1 pioneer htib system when i read the manual i found out it can be made to 6.1 or 7.1 if i buy separate amplifier and connect the 2 speakers via analog option to my avr .

i am using same stuff in another room i had 2 aiwa speakers connected to some local amplifier of 450 watts and connected to my small bedroom tv .

my question is do i have to buy same set of speakers ? or can use any other . also what amplifier i should use ? or any works ?

plus avr gives all sound output , even all hd sound , if i plug those 2 speakers will sound like dts hd ma 7.1 work ? noob question i know :P

• 1 year later...

Now that my Mx5021 is stopped working...been going through these threads...when through all this again.amitraj's post have been really helpful once gain.

btw posting this video found it helpful also

so what is the current good antry level receivers available in the market right now??

Unfortunately in India even online i cant find info on prices and availabilities . It is so scarce....

I dont think there is any shop in chandni that deals in Av receivers .

I have seen some people selling these kind of things on the footpaths of Chandni Chowks(they must be selling the Chinese branded home theaters). I thought that some shops must be selling the legit stuffs there as well.

I have seen some people selling these kind of things on the footpaths of Chandni Chowks(they must be selling the Chinese branded home theaters). I thought that some shops must be selling the legit stuffs there as well.

arey baap re...footpath....chinese home theatre :panic: ....bhai ..kya bol reha hai...i am asking for yamaha and all ....you suggesting footpath ...chinese mal...:lol:

arey baap re...footpath....chinese home theatre :panic: ....bhai ..kya bol reha hai...i am asking for yamaha and all ....you suggesting footpath ...chinese mal... :lol:

LOL, I'm just saying that if they are selling such expensive things(chinese home theater bhi mehenga hi hoga) on the footpaths of Chandni Chowk, then there is a good chance that there is also some shop(s) selling the same(and with more variety) there. May just be a case of finding one.

• 5 months later...

Archived