What you bought this week

HundredProofSam

Cody - need impressions. Can I read any ebooks using kindle? Is the Kindle store available here?

So far it has been brilliant. When I ordered it, I was worried about the "turning page" thing and was worried if it would break the immersion of reading an actual book. But once I started reading a book, all those things just disappeared into the background and soon I was on my back, flipping through pages after pages without ever feeling I am reading an e-book. Page-refresh is just fraction of a second, no more than what it would take to change the page on an actual book. Plus you dont have to wet your finger to change the page :) and run the risk of getting poisoned by your ex-wife/jealous friend :)

Kindle, paired with Calibre is effing brilliant. This e-book management software hooks up nicely with Kindle (for that matter, any e-book reader that you throw at it) and converts any and all books to Kindle formatted books. It even pulls all the meta-data about the e-book, covers, ISBN # and descriptions before sending it to the Kindle. Two three clicks max and the book is ready to be read on your Kindle. Just disconnect and stat reading.

Another brilliant feature of the software is that it can pull news from the leading newspapers/websites, arrange it in a nice e-newspaper and send it to your Kindle either through e-mail (for which Amazon charges some money) or just manually connect to your system and download the copy to Kindle. I am still exploring this aspect of Kindle and it is a good way of getting an ad-free news-fix but the downside is that there are no pictures.

I also have subscribed to India Today magazine from Amazon. There are no pictures from the magazine but otherwise it still makes for a good read. The loss is not more than what you will be gaining.

Not sure about the Kindle store being available in India. As far as I know, it is. Even if it is not, I am sure you can buy the books online and then have it delivered wirelessly through your wi-fi status. I went for the wi-fi version only so if someone has a 3G version, would love to know if the 3G thingie works outside USA and how?

Check out Plants Vs. Zombies, Espagaluda II, Don-Don Pachi Ressurection, Shibuya, R-Type, Solipskier, Rotten City, Aqueduct, Sigma, 33rd Division, Unify and Sketch Nation Shooter. Kick a*s purchase!

Thanks for the names yaar

Tried sketch nation. It's awesome

Some r above 20mb, so can't download on 3G. Will try frm home.

Not sure about the Kindle store being available in India. As far as I know, it is. Even if it is not, I am sure you can buy the books online and then have it delivered wirelessly through your wi-fi status. I went for the wi-fi version only so if someone has a 3G version, would love to know if the 3G thingie works outside USA and how?

The 3G version works in India and the data usage for books is free.

Its plays a unique sound on startup and shutdown that kinda sounds like the activation of armor lock or the shield bubble.

:suicide:

So far it has been brilliant. When I ordered it, I was worried about the "turning page" thing and was worried if it would break the immersion of reading an actual book. But once I started reading a book, all those things just disappeared into the background and soon I was on my back, flipping through pages after pages without ever feeling I am reading an e-book. Page-refresh is just fraction of a second, no more than what it would take to change the page on an actual book. Plus you dont have to wet your finger to change the page :) and run the risk of getting poisoned by your ex-wife/jealous friend :)

Kindle, paired with Calibre is effing brilliant. This e-book management software hooks up nicely with Kindle (for that matter, any e-book reader that you throw at it) and converts any and all books to Kindle formatted books. It even pulls all the meta-data about the e-book, covers, ISBN # and descriptions before sending it to the Kindle. Two three clicks max and the book is ready to be read on your Kindle. Just disconnect and stat reading.

Another brilliant feature of the software is that it can pull news from the leading newspapers/websites, arrange it in a nice e-newspaper and send it to your Kindle either through e-mail (for which Amazon charges some money) or just manually connect to your system and download the copy to Kindle. I am still exploring this aspect of Kindle and it is a good way of getting an ad-free news-fix but the downside is that there are no pictures.

I also have subscribed to India Today magazine from Amazon. There are no pictures from the magazine but otherwise it still makes for a good read. The loss is not more than what you will be gaining.

Excellent. A friend is in the US and will probably order it. One final question - is it backlit? My main requirement is the ability to read in bed with the lights off. I am sure you can sympathize.

Excellent. A friend is in the US and will probably order it. One final question - is it backlit? My main requirement is the ability to read in bed with the lights off. I am sure you can sympathize.

It isn't. Thats the sole reason I stopped using the Kindle hardware and use the Kindle app on my iPad / Android instead.

Mr. Very Rich man of IVG, :majesty:

please donate me one puraana wala..

It's Joy of Giving week in India..

(4 Xbox- 1 for u, 2 for ur 2 wife n 1 for the kid eh? :O )

I thought u left this site and us for good

Check out Plants Vs. Zombies, Espagaluda II, Don-Don Pachi Ressurection, Shibuya, R-Type, Solipskier, Rotten City, Aqueduct, Sigma, 33rd Division, Unify and Sketch Nation Shooter. Kick a*s purchase!

Milo checkout Flight Control and Epic Citadel (this is not a game exactly...just a demo of the unreal engine on iPhone/iPod)

It isn't. Thats the sole reason I stopped using the Kindle hardware and use the Kindle app on my iPad / Android instead.

Funnily enough, this is the sole reason why I have been enjoying reading on the Kindle so much. When MT told me there is no back-lighting in Kindle, I was dissapointed and considerd not getting it. But after reading countless reviews, I decided to take the risk and put down the money for this.

And guess what? I am actually happy that there is no back-lighting. There is zero-strain on the eyes, the Kindle screen actually looks like paper and reflects light in the same way as a printed piece of paper would. All my friends who saw it in action, did concede the point that Kindle not being an LCD with back-lighting worked in it's favor; it is feather-light and very energy-efficient.

Best part is that I love the way Kindle changes my wallpaper every time I put it into sleep-mode. The images used are classy and seeing them rendered in B&W has some kind of charm in itself. To make it even better, the Kindle consumes absolutely no battery-power to display those images; it is only the first time that power is used to deposit the e-ink on the screen and then it stays there, just like how ink would stay on paper.

LOL! The best thing to do would be to see if you can get some hands-on time with a friends Kindle.

Besides, you really do not have to buy the in-built light cover for the Kindle. I went for the normal cover and this is how I justified my decison not to buy the in-built light cover:

Will I need the light-option for reading while travelling?

--> In flight? No, the over head light would be enough.

--> In train? Yes, but a $10 clip-on light will be more than enough.

--> In bus? Yes, but a $10 clip-on light will be more than enough.

Considering I haven't been on a train in the past 4 years (nor am I planning to) and my bus journeys are normally no more than 6 hrs affairs, I don't see the lack of illumination for my Kindle that big a problem. Besides, the $10 clip-on solutions would be more versatile in allowing me to use the same thing on my paper-books and even my laptop (no backlit keyboard).

Damn CAD is really marketing this up. Anyway, is Kindle officially launched in India ? And CAD, does it support word/pdf/.xls files ? I know this might sound a bit stupid, but does it play music :P ?

I think its better to wait and watch until blackberry playbook and the hp tablet releases. Prices might come down.