Halo: The Master Chief Collection

PS Fan

Its been years since I played it but IIRC -

Halo 2 was skill based so you dont rank up much just for playing. You actually had to get better at the game.

Halo 3 was a mixture of skill based and experience for just playing. Part of the rank was just for playing but you would still hit a wall at a certain point if your game didnt improve. So you wouldnt gain any more ranks after that.

Halo 4 was purely based on how much you played. Like CoD, you could be utterly sh*t at the game and still be the highest rank in it.

On what basis is skill determined? K/D ratio?

On what basis is skill determined? K/D ratio?

Part of it yeah. But there were other factors, scoring in objective games (capture a flag or detonate a bomb), your team winning or losing, how you were placed in a winning team or a losing team, what kind of people you were playing against (doing well against people of higher rank than you counted for more than doing well against scrubs).

Bungie never really made everything about the system public. But it was fairly complex system that took into consideration a lot of factors.

Its been a while but I think you could even lose ranks in Halo 2 if you played badly consistently.

Edit Or am I thinking of something else when it comes to losing ranks. Karan (-13-) would know.

Edited by Aftrunner
  • Like 1

Part of it yeah. But there were other factors, scoring in objective games (capture a flag or detonate a bomb), your team winning or losing, how you were placed in a winning team or a losing team, what kind of people you were playing against (doing well against people of higher rank than you counted for more than doing well against scrubs).

Bungie never really made everything about the system public. But it was fairly complex system that took into consideration a lot of factors.

Its been a while but I think you could even lose ranks in Halo 2 if you played badly consistently.

Sounds good. Makes sense. This is how ranking up should be.

Rank is determined by final score of a game and individual stats and table standing and also the opponents ranks are taken into account (like if you beat a higher ranked guy you get more points and so on.)

All this is taken into account before the XP points are given/deducted at the end of a match

You could lose rank in both H2 and H3 -- like Afty said, if you played bad consistently, among a lot of other things.

It's much harder to rank up in H2 -- getting a 25 in H2 was like getting a 50 in H3.

The ranking system for both the games was complex as f**k. Still though, one of the best ever.

PS - Not to say that the H3 system was bad (just easier), I prefer the H2 system.

Edit Or am I thinking of something else when it comes to losing ranks. Karan (-13-) would know.

One could lose rank even in Halo 3. I loved the Halo 3 ranking system as a really good player could level up really fast but an average player could also rank up if he played a lot and had some decent games. Of course, to rank up beyond a certain degree, one had to be consistently good or just play with some real awesome players :P

This game will be great !

One could lose rank even in Halo 3. I loved the Halo 3 ranking system as a really good player could level up really fast but an average player could also rank up if he played a lot and had some decent games. Of course, to rank up beyond a certain degree, one had to be consistently good or just play with some real awesome players :P

This game will be great !

You could lose part of a Rank in Halo 3 IIRC. You couldnt completely go down. I mean a Captain Grade 4 could end up a Captain Grade 1 but he wouldnt end up a private.

Its the community. People love shitty maps for some reason. Watch it get voted in every time it comes up too.

Its not just Halo. CoD has Nuketown. BF has Metro.

I mean I am not a fan of Lockout but at least that map promotes map movement. Would love to see the heat maps of Ascension. I bet it would be 80% all tower camping with BR/DMR/Snipes.

Its the community. People love shitty maps for some reason. Watch it get voted in every time it comes up too.

Its not just Halo. CoD has Nuketown. BF has Metro.

I mean I am not a fan of Lockout but at least that map promotes map movement. Would love to see the heat maps of Ascension. I bet it would be 80% all tower camping with BR/DMR/Snipes.

Agreed!

I'm still okay with the current maps though. Not too bad.

Sanctuary is one of my all-time favorites.