What you bought this week

HundredProofSam

@MT: Glad it is getting some attention. Pair it up with Calibre if you haven't yet. You will love it.

@ARSC: Nook looked like a great option. But a few factors prevented me from buying a Nook instead of a Kindle.

Both, Kindle and Nook use the same technology; their displays come from the same manufacturer so no comparison there. Nook comes with a touch-controlled strip of LCD at the bottom of the main screen to control your Nook. While initially it seems like a good idea, it actually turns out to be a bottle-neck later on mainly because of the difference in refresh rate of the E-Ink and LCD. So while the LCD will have you zooming through the menu lightning fast, the main E-Ink display would lag behind which for me was a deal-breaker.

The other major issue was non-availibility of Nook and its services in India. Here is the mail that I sent to the CC @ B&N and the reply that I got:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email regarding eBooks purchases for international customers.

Because selling eBooks to international customers involves issues regarding international copyright laws, tariffs, VAT taxes, currency conversions, etc., only US and Canadian residents are able to purchase eBooks on the Barnes & Noble website at this time.

Please visit us here for more information:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/help-faqs.asp?cds2Pid=29168&linkid=

Sincerely,

Eduardo

Customer Service Representative

Barnes and Noble

http://www.bn.com/

Original Message Follows:

------------------------

Hi,

I am in US at the moment and am planning to pick up a Nook Wi-Fi for myself.

I am wondering if I would be able to access the B&N Online store in India via WiFi, purchase e-books using the online store and have it delivered to Nook.

Can you please guide me on this? Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Abhinav

So there. That pretty much sealed the fate of Nook as far as I am concerned.

Wondering if we need a dedicated Kindle thread. Could be a great place to talk about the free books available on Amazon, good deals on new books and great way to earn some free Amazon Gift Cards via Swagbucks.

Edited by ctrl_alt_del

If you're for real post a pic holding a sign that has my name on it. This thread is all about pics.

Wow.. You wish dude.. :naughty: I m not holding a sign that has your name on it.. Not now.. Not ever.. Lolzz B)

how abt my name or better yet MT's name!!!! :P

The iPod touch is great, actually I never really wanted a iPhone 4 badly, its totally acceptable for me to carry it around with my Blackberry, just got shafted on google mobile app where Google did the stupidity of not including iPod touch 4th Gen for Goggles. The rear camera is crap absolute crap compared to the iPhone 4's. the front camera is better.

I'm really indifferent about the camera, however I do wanna know what you thought about the iPod Touch's screen vs the iPhone 4's screen and about the speed difference (if any) in general between the two..

NBA 2K11, PC, ONLY FOR $29.99!! New!! Big Props to 2K for pricing it so low. PS3 and X360 are $59.99 in comparison.

img2707e.jpg

This game is AWESOME.

The intro clip and the way it gets you started is amazing..

Edited by Superfrag

This is neither steamworks or GFWL. Publishers can cut prices when they don't have to share revenues or give royalties.

It has few disadvantages too, you wouldn't get full support for 360 controller or the features which steam offers.

This is neither steamworks or GFWL. Publishers can cut prices when they don't have to share revenues or give royalties.

It has few disadvantages too, you wouldn't get full support for 360 controller or the features which steam offers.

If you're talking to me, the game has full X360 controller support, and what features does steam offer?

Also, that's the official price. Even at the MS store its for $29.99.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/NBA-2K11-PC-Game/product/147C3B49

Edited by Superfrag