Twisted Metal

Nemo

The graphics look extremely underwhelming.

true, but i hope its a very very early built that they showed.

also this been shown after GT5 did not help its cause one bit in judging the graphical perception :P

but more than anything, its about the chaotic and awesome gameplay. hope the graphics shine up as devs spend time on it

I think the mistake was announcing it as the megaton. It might be good, but certainly not big enough for that.

This. Twisted Metal is great, it's like Ninty announcing Golden Eye. Very nostalgic and all that.

Twisted Metal First Look

It's been a few years since the last Twisted Metal game and we all knew that another entry in the well-known car combat franchise was past due. But thankfully at the end of Sony's press conference this year, Sweet Tooth's demented ice cream truck rolled out onto the stage and unloaded David Jaffe and Scott Campbell. The co-founders of Eat, Sleep, Play revealed that Twisted Metal would be hitting the PlayStation 3 exclusively next year, and proceeded to show the audience a first glimpse at the pre-alpha gameplay. I had the chance to try the game out for myself after the conference. Even though the game is still early in development, there's a lot of potential for this car combat reboot.

Twisted Metal will have a full single-player campaign, but that's not what was on display at the show this year. Instead, the developers wanted to draw attention to the 16-player multiplayer support, where all sorts of explosive carnage hits the unsuspecting suburbs of the United States. In Twisted Metal, players will be fighting as different factions, instead of specific characters like in past Twisted Metal games. This allows players to identify with a group of characters (like feeling loyal to a clan) but also grants them the freedom to play as any vehicle.

The only factions revealed so far were the Dolls and the Clowns. The Dolls -- masked, pink-haired ladies with a serious attitude -- are inspired by the antics of Dollface from the old Twisted Metal titles. Similarly, the Clowns follow the crazed Sweet Tooth and his endlessly flaming head. Playing as a faction also enables Eat, Sleep, Play to create crew attacks. Some of the weapons in the newest Twisted Metal will feature a second character in the vehicle leaning out of the passenger side window to throw a bomb or fire a missile. Or, more impressively, they might use a massive sniper rifle to take down an opponent from afar.

The newest addition to Twisted Metal is the introduction of flying vehicles. Currently, we've only seen a helicopter, but perhaps we'll see more aerial rides at a later date. I didn't have the chance to try the helicopter for myself, but IGN's omnipotent leader, Hilary Goldstein, gave it a shot and seemed to enjoy himself. Or maybe he was just smiling sadistically at the joy of blowing stuff up.

When it comes to controls in Twisted Metal, the classic control scheme was still implemented. The Square button was used to accelerate and the Circle button was used to brake. Players need to double-tap Circle in order to go in reverse. For some reason, this actually took me a few minutes to get used to, because I kept wanting to use the R2 and L2 triggers to accelerate. But that's neither here nor there. For the most part, I was instantly taken with the frantic action on display, though it'll take a lot more time to fully understand all the different items and special weapons available to players.

One thing I thought was super cool was the "Health Semi," which drove around the level amidst all the destruction. Players that have good timing and a good handle on steering can drive into the back of the truck and get a total health recharge. This is much better than the standard health pickups on the stage, as they only recover about 30 percent of a vehicle's health.

I'd love to spend more time with Twisted Metal, especially after Eat, Sleep, Play moves out of the pre-alpha phase. So far, things look good, and I can't wait to see the single-player and how these new factions play into the game's disturbing story.

IGN

its pre alpha PEOPLE !!!

Archived