Ask The Experts

Chaztin

There are different Semprons for different sockets, Sempron is basically AMD's entry level processor, and there have been Semprons for various sockets. AMD's current version is AM2.

Tell them to download CPU-Z and then tell them to check the socket there

EDIT - here's the link for CPU-Z :- http://filehippo.com/download_cpuz/

Edited by TheLegendKiller

Socket 754 has been phased out, so I don't know whether you'll be able to find those boards on the market. You may though, I'm not sure.

I was checking on Newegg, and I saw an Asus K8V-VM board on there. It has a PCI-Express x16 slot. Asus is a good company, so get that....provided you're able to find it.

i no this is a bit too early, but ill be buyin a laptop nex year, since my desktop is sh*t, i want a really good laptop, i am leanin towards a macbook pro wid 4 gb ram...etc...so advice on wether i shuld by frm india or not?

Macbook Pros cost a fortune in India. The lowest model starts from about 1.2L while the highest goes above 1.5L, none of them comes with 4GB as standard. I'd suggest to get it from abroad if you can. You can buy AppleCare in India which will give you three years intl. replacement warranty.

Nah....sempron is an entry level processor, it's geared towards basic tasks....if you plug in one of the more recent graphic cards into that board, it'll get bottlenecked by the processor meaning that the processor would limit the GPU. If you're planning on using any of the newer graphic cards such as the GeForce 8 series or ATI's HD 2xxx series, then get a newer processor and board. Something like a Socket AM2 Athlon X2 or Intel's Core 2 Duo Socket 775 series.

Yeah, if you're going to use say for example an 8800 GTS, you should have atleast an Atlhon X2 4400+ or above. Hell, if you can afford it you can even go up to 5000+. Last I checked, the AMD X2 5000+ goes for about, 6k. Prices will have dropped now, I'm sure of it. Add about 3-4.5k for a decent Nforce 5 series motherboard, and about another 2.5k for some DDR2 RAM. (DDR is not compatible with AM2.)

If you can afford it, go for Core2Duo. It is the BEST solution for gaming, although if you're on a tight budget AMD is king.

Last I checked, (it's been a while), the 640MB version was hovering around 22k and the 320MB version for about 16-17k. Again, prices would have probably dropped. Also, another card called the 8800GT is coming out, and it offers great performance for a good price apparently, so I suggest you wait for that and get that. It costs just 250$ in the us and it'll probably land over here for 14k, somewhere around there, not sure. That should do well to play the latest games.

Hmm....so it seems Dell is good. May be I'll go with it then :)

Hey Vinit, I'll check out the Dell Inspiron 1520 that you recommended :D

So, guys, I wanted to ask, is 8600M really any good ? Is it worth it ? I mean I always wanted a gaming PC but the area I live in has really bad loadshedding for 4 to 5 hours :( thats why the laptop, and although am going to be using it for business purposes, I intend to play a few 360 to PC ports like Overlord, Lost Planet, Bioshock, etc.....so is it good ?

Edited by Kazekage Gaara

my $0.02 :)

I think this is the wrong time to severely dent your wallets on a high end gaming pc.. We're at the end of an era for some motherboard tech and memory tech, I hear.

Quad Cores, DDR3 and SLIs and other technobabble will soon be launched or become more affordable.

Wait 6 months... play on the 360 ... 2007 titles should keep you busy for a while.

Edited by arun360

Guys....am not buying a Macbook okay. They are costly and most of my software WOULDN'T WORK on Mac OS.

So now can anyone please answer my questions. I need to get this thing cleared off as soon as possible and make a proper decision. If the graphics card isn't any good, then I'll just buy the laptop without it and use it only for business purposes.

Thanx in advance for the help guys....